ADVERTISEMENT

Selection show discussion thread

Nice regional. Starts Friday. Hopefully we play in the evening v SW or SE Mizzo St (already forgot).
Michigan and Oregon as the 2/3.

Overall #12.
Question: Do the seeds determine who hosts the Super or is it the bracket?

On another note, interesting strategy to this double elimination tournament.
Do you throw JP the first game or roll the dice and save him for the second game?
Gotta think he's pitching Friday.

Overall #12.
Question: Do the seeds determine who hosts the Super or is it the bracket?

On another note, interesting strategy to this double elimination tournament.
Do you throw JP the first game or roll the dice and save him for the second game?
We would host the super if Texas A&M loses their regional and we win ours. Million dollar question. Does Poland throw Game 1?

Reactions: earsky
Without knowing anything about the team we play first I am not sure any of us can even guess at that decision. If they are bad vs lefties I pitch Phillips. Otherwise, I don’t know. This is a different scenythan the ACCT. However, you need to win; but double elimination create more options. If this opening team is not all that good maybe you go with Liggett. Then you go with Poland for the UM/Oregon game.

Reactions: Deeva
Without knowing anything about the team we play first I am not sure any of us can even guess at that decision. If they are bad vs lefties I pitch Phillips. Otherwise, I don’t know. This is a different scenythan the ACCT. However, you need to win; but double elimination create more options. If this opening team is not all that good maybe you go with Liggett. Then you go with Poland for the UM/Oregon game.
Interesting they have 4 guys who have hit double digit HRs. Their ace is 6-3 with 4.45 era. 77 strikeouts and 30 BB’s. Beat Dallas Baptist and Ole Miss. Got swept in a 3 game series against Oklahoma St. was supposed to play UK early in the year but game got cancelled.

Friday - Game 1: Southeast Missouri St. vs. No. 12 Louisville (2pm ESPN+)

I'm almost thinking I'd like to see JP come out of the gate and shut em down early,the offense try and get that lead and limit his pitches.
On Saturday,I'd like to see a rejuvenated Tate Kuehner start.
I wouldn't mind if it were the other way around. I just don't want to fall behind early in either game and rely on the offense to win the game late.

No doubt in my mind McDonnell is going to save Poland for the 2nd game. He did it in the ACC tournament and it failed, but he's pretty stubborn and he'll do it by the book. Not having a reliable 2nd starter doesn't help.

Not having a reliable 2nd starter doesn't help.
I actually think we've found him again in Kuehner. I know I know about the bullpen success. He's one of the veterans that will have to lead the charge and I think he'll handle it well...if he gets the chance.

Wouldn’t mind Tate at all. Anyone see what the Saturday games times are? Can’t find them.

Did anyone buy tickets the other night before the selection show today and the regionals got announced yesterday? Was just wondering cause I did and still have not had the tickets show up yet on my account. Ordered thru the email the school sent me so wasn’t from a sketchy 3rd party or anything

Have not seen tickets yet.
Didn’t notice NC St not being in - strange.
Not really upset about UK being left out.

Last edited:
Reactions: nccardfan
The Big Dance has a way of bringing out the very best in lots of young athletes,wondering if they'll have another chance.
I know SE Mo probably has a roster full of these guys and I'm hoping Louisville does too. Living in the moment is what it's all about.
Who's gonna make the individual plays in a sport very much an individual sport?

Reactions: Deeva
Got a chuckle at our guys' (lack of) reaction on video when the draw was announced. Sure it was somewhat anticlimactic since we knew we were the 12-seed playing the 4 at our site.

Maybe these guys are already sporting their game faces...

NCST got left out? Shameful.
I think they were 20 spots ahead of somebody that got one of,or the last at large spot. Might've been Grand Canyon St.
Comittee making arguments against NC St instead of for GCS.

SWMS beat Ole Miss in a weekday game; they are a formidable opponent. This UL team must get back to scoring runs and not expecting the pitching staff to secure their advancement.

There are several of the top 8 seeds who may very well struggle to advance to a Super spot …….. that opens up opportunities for those who survive their own 9-16 spots.

SWMS beat Ole Miss in a weekday game; they are a formidable opponent. This UL team must get back to scoring runs and not expecting the pitching staff to secure their advancement.

There are several of the top 8 seeds who may very well struggle to advance to a Super spot …….. that opens up opportunities for those who survive their own 9-16 spots.
Wouldn't shock me at all if UofL didn't make it past the regional. Post season is when pitching matters the most. Our offense can be tamed, and our arms can be a liability. Mac is going to have to work some magic.

Reactions: the artist FKA zipp
Mac is going to have to work some magic.
Yeah I agree with this sentiment a bit.
Echoing what I said earlier,get some great starts from a couple of guys,namely Poland and whoever else.
I'm not in love with the staff approach so why not move Kuehner back into a starting role Friday or Saturday?
Early offense is really huge and a couple of good starts.
If Poland can limit his pitches to 50-60,we can see him again Sunday.
Gotta have a nice lead to do it.

Wouldn't shock me at all if UofL didn't make it past the regional. Post season is when pitching matters the most. Our offense can be tamed, and our arms can be a liability. Mac is going to have to work some magic.
Me neither...I've said as much. Our pitching has never been deep-postseason-run caliber, and the hitting has lately been spotty and trailing off.

When you think about where we started the season--unranked--where we are is not a disappointment. This program and group of coaches have spoiled us.

If Mac can get this pitching staff to Omaha, he deserves a lifetime contract if he doesn't already have one...

When you think about where we started the season--unranked--where we are is not a disappointment. This program and group of coaches have spoiled us.

If Mac can get this pitching staff to Omaha, he deserves a lifetime contract if he doesn't already have one...
Yeah,you usually only set yourself up to be right in the hunt for a title every 3-4 years or so,and I'm talking about being good enough to win it all.
Thanks Covid for robbing us of our last really good team. It's only been two years since Detmers,Miller,Hammerin Hank and Binelas were all together.
They'll be bucking the trend a bit if they can seriously contend this season,and yes Mac will have to push every right button to do it or Rushing,Poland,Metzinger,Bianco and the veterans will have to find another gear.

Man, have you seen the blowback regarding NC St being left out of the tournament? They are taking a lot of crap - basically letting Ole Miss in v NC St. The biggest rocket launched was from FSU’s coach who basically said that it sure does help when you have conference representatives on the selection committee. It appears the ACC was not represented- which is odd.

Here's to continued pitching improvement & offense getting rekindled with Knap' back & healthy (hoping).
I expect Knap to be really close to 100.
I hope the friendly confines of home are just what the doctor ordered for guys like Lohman and Phillips. Saying that they'll be huge this weekend is my understatement of the year. Can't wait to see which way Mac decides to go with the pitching. Should be exciting.

Man, have you seen the blowback regarding NC St being left out of the tournament? They are taking a lot of crap - basically letting Ole Miss in v NC St. The biggest rocket launched was from FSU’s coach who basically said that it sure does help when you have conference representatives on the selection committee. It appears the ACC was not represented- which is odd.
I guess they didn't want the backlash from the almighty SEC instead.

Reactions: Bardman
I don't think Kuehner starts at any point. Doesn't seem to like it and limits options. I suspect we will see an "opener" or 2 (Schmeltz & Liggett have the best WHIP) on FRI and unless up 4+ runs, Kuehner eats up some innings between the opener(s) and Hawks / Prosecky, if needed.

Poland starts on SAT regardless. If it's the 1-0 v 1-0 game, that's huge. Dan always talks about that game in a Regional and did so yesterday in his presser. Win and you only have to win 1 more game (of 2 possible). Lose and you have to win 3 more games (including 2 on SUN). It's just a huge pivot point.

If you don't go 2-0 in 1st 2 games, all bets are off. You're going to have to go deep in the bullpen for innings (including 2 games back to back on SUN) and hope kids step up.

Looking forward to it. Respect everyone. Fear no one.

Always a tough call. I think, in this situation, against the 4 seed…I go with Liggett. He has been pretty steady and you’d hope he gives you at least three innings. If our guys hit the ball and make their starter throw a bunch of pitches that could chase their starter out sooner than later. Once (if) that happens I think our guys will chew up their bullpen.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT