ADVERTISEMENT

Seems like the baseball Cards are flying under the radar.

CardX

Five-Star Poster
May 29, 2001
I'm beginning to see some preseason polls, and our guys are nowhere to be mentioned. I know 2023 was disappointing, but the squad has got some pretty good returning players. Am I missing something?

Same people who make random guesses about FB and BB teams in the pre-season. If the pitching is improved l, like I think it is, then this group should be a top 15 team.

Lots of returning faces in the lineup. Some we know like Humphries,King,Beard and Anderson,Phillips,Corbett and Cook.
Maybe we're off the national radar because of the pitching staff not having any star power. They really just need to be healthy and steady,as a host of veterans listed above and an outstanding Sophomore class led by Kilen,Dickerson,Lippe and two way player Forbes lead what looks like one of our better offensive teams in a while. That Sophomore class also has pitchers Campbell,West and Biven.

Idk, I kinda like when expectations aren't real high and we sneak up on people. We're gonna score some runs. Can we pitch??

Play ball!😅

It is going to boil down to pitching. I am not sure what has changed on that front but they have really struggled finding legit weekend starters since Covid.

Reactions: shutterbug
It is going to boil down to pitching. I am not sure what has changed on that front but they have really struggled finding legit weekend starters since Covid.
Ligget and Phillips lead the way. Justin West and a host of young arms have to produce.
Obviously,it's tough to predict how it shakes out but they have to stay healthy.

we simply do not have the level of talent that we enjoyed pre-Covid.

No I did not, and I have come to rely on you for most of my expectations for UL baseball. So, I hope my minimization of UL right now is inaccurate, and trust your consultation.

However, from what I saw last season was pretty disappointing in terms of what I had become accustomed to seeing prior to the Covid Interruption.

No I did not, and I have come to rely on you for most of my expectations for UL baseball. So, I hope my minimization of UL right now is inaccurate, and trust your consultation.

However, from what I saw last season was pretty disappointing in terms of what I had become accustomed to seeing prior to the Covid Interruption.
I was just wondering if you had a chance to see a couple of these transfers. Offensively,Mac has some serious up-at-night decisions to make about his position guys. I see two deep at every position with offensive capabilities enough to play and contribute.
Defensively,very strong in the middle with Kilen and Hoy.
The pitching staff is a big question. I would say yeah that's where we have not gotten back pre covid.
This is maybe the best group hitting the ball depth wise I've seen in years.

I was just wondering if you had a chance to see a couple of these transfers. Offensively,Mac has some serious up-at-night decisions to make about his position guys. I see two deep at every position with offensive capabilities enough to play and contribute.
Defensively,very strong in the middle with Kilen and Hoy.
The pitching staff is a big question. I would say yeah that's where we have not gotten back pre covid.
This is maybe the best group hitting the ball depth wise I've seen in years.
Isn’t there another Detmers on the roster? A true frosh, if he does make the final roster, but the name alone brings hope.

Great report Earsky! I love hitting anf fielding, so at least we can score some runs, even if we are giving up some.

Reactions: earsky
Yes, Detmers is a FR. I’d be surprised of he isn’t getting mound time. Personally, I think the pitching staff is going to be much better. I see more depth and while there may not be an AA starting on Friday night…I think we may have more pitchers who will display greater consistency.

Isn’t there another Detmers on the roster? A true frosh, if he does make the final roster, but the name alone brings hope.
Yes and I've seen him a few times back in Fall ball. Bright future and likely a bullpen guy this year but who knows. Liggett and Phillips probably ahead of everyone else for a weekend spot but I'm not even real sure about that.

Yes, Detmers is a FR. I’d be surprised of he isn’t getting mound time. Personally, I think the pitching staff is going to be much better. I see more depth and while there may not be an AA starting on Friday night…I think we may have more pitchers who will display greater consistency.
You know if just by dumb luck,I have not seen Phillips or West but I don't think either is hurt. There are a lot of new arms and the veterans like Koger,Webster,Grundy,Corbett all back. Couldn't tell you who's gonna be on the bump opening day in Florida.
The Sophomore class has to produce big time imo. Forbes,Biven and West lead that group,but I almost feel like there will be new faces that will surface,like perhaps Dermers.
Side note: Both catchers hurt last season Vierling and Klein are healthy,Freshman Zion Rose looks really good and transfer Napleton will probably be in the batting order playing somewhere.
Anderson and Benson were in uniform but I didn't see either play. I think Mac still trying to trim down his roster.

Reactions: CardX
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT