ADVERTISEMENT

Really Early ACC Conference Rankings

shadow force

Jun 8, 2010
All that said, let's run through the whole league and attempt an early (really, really early) guess at where they rank:

1. North Carolina

Last season: 26-12, fifth in the ACC, Sweet 16.

Key players leaving: G/F J.P. Tokoto.

Key players returning: G Marcus Paige, F Justin Jackson, F Kennedy Meeks, F Brice Johnson, G Nate Britt, G Joel Berry.

Key newcomers: G Kenny Williams.

Overview: One of the most talented rosters in the nation has experience to go with it.

2. Duke

Last season: 35-4, second in the ACC, national champion.

Key players leaving: G Tyus Jones, F Justise Winslow, C Jahlil Okafor.

Key players returning: G Grayson Allen, G Matt Jones, F Amile Jefferson, C Marshall Plumlee.

Key newcomers: G Derryck Thornton, G Luke Kennard, F Brandon Ingram, C Chase Jeter.

Overview: The Blue Devils lost a lot, but the incoming class paired with Allen and Jones could produce another March run.

3. Virginia

Last season: 30-4, first in the ACC, second round.

Key players leaving: G/F Justin Anderson, F Darion Atkins

Key players returning: G Malcolm Brogdon, G London Perrantes, F Evan Nolte, C Mike Tobey, F Anthony Gill.

Key newcomers: C Jarred Reuter.

Overview: Don't underestimate the significant losses of Anderson and Atkins, but UVA will still be really good on defense and efficient on offense.

4. Notre Dame

Last season: 32-6, third in the ACC, Elite 8.

Key players leaving: G Jerian Grant, G Pat Connaughton.

Key players returning: G Demetrius Jackson, F Zach Auguste, F Bonzie Colson, F V.J. Beachem, G Steve Vasturia.

Key newcomers: F Matt Ryan.

Overview: Jackson is arguably the best returning player in the league, and Auguste has developed into a really good big man.

5. Louisville

Last season: 27-9, fourth in the ACC, Elite 8.

Key players leaving: G Terry Rozier, F Montrezl Harrell, G/F Wayne Blackshear, G Chris Jones.

Key players returning: G Quentin Snider, C Mangok Mathiang, C Chinanu Onuaku, F Jaylen Johnson, F Anas Mahmoud.

Key newcomers: G Damion Lee, G Trey Lewis, G Donovan Mitchell, F Deng Adel, F Raymond Spalding.

Overview: In early April, Louisville's roster was in rough shape, but the Cards now have three scorers coming in and expect a big jump from Johnson at power forward.

6. Miami

Last season: 25-13, seventh in the ACC, NIT.

Key players leaving: G DeAndre Burnett, G Manu Lecomte.

Key players returning: G Angel Rodriguez, G/F Sheldon McClellan, G/F Davon Reed, C Tonye Jekiri.

Key newcomers: F Kamari Murphy.

Overview: The Canes lost some solid guard depth to transfers, but Rodriguez, McClellan and Reed make up a really strong perimeter.

7. NC State

Last season: 22-14, sixth in the ACC, Sweet 16.

Key players leaving: G Trevor Lacey, G Ralston Turner.

Key players returning: G Cat Barber, F Abdul-Malik Abu, F Lennard Freeman, C BeeJay Anya.

Key newcomers: G Terry Henderson.

Overview: Two big-time perimeter guys are gone, but there's talent. Barber's consistency is the key.

8. Florida State

Last season: 17-16, 11th in the ACC.

Key players leaving: G Aaron Thomas.

Key players returning: G Devon Bookert, G Xavier Rathan-Mayes, F Montay Brandon, F Phil Cofer, C Boris Bojanovsky, F Jarquez Smith.

Key newcomers: F Dwayne Bacon, G Malik Beasley.

Overview: The Seminoles have a ton of good players on the roster, but they can't have the kind of year they just had offensively and expect to make the tournament.

9. Syracuse

Last season: 18-13, eighth in the ACC.

Key players leaving: F Rakeem Christmas, F Chris McCullough.

Key players returning: G Trevor Cooney, F Michael Gbinije, G Kaleb Joseph,

Key newcomers: F Malachi Richardson, F Tyler Lydon, F Moustapha Diagne, G Franklin Howard.

Overview: Another athletic, long Syracuse roster, but no Christmas means the Orange need some young bigs to step up.

10. Pittsburgh

Last season: 19-15, ninth in the ACC, NIT.

Key players leaving: G Cameron Wright.

Key players returning: G James Robinson, F Jamel Artis, F Mike Young, F Chris Jones, F Sheldon Jeter, G Josh Newkirk.

Key newcomers: G Damon Wilson, F/C Rozelle Nix.

Overview: Artis and Young can be ACC standouts, but they need help around them, especially inside.

11. Clemson

Last season: 16-15, 10th in the ACC.

Key players leaving: G DeMarcus Harrison, G Rod Hall.

Key players returning: F Jaron Blossomgame, F Donte Grantham, F Landry Nnoko.

Key newcomers: G Ty Hudson.

Overview: Hall was an important player for Clemson, but the Tigers still have some solid forwards and will be scrappy on defense yet again.

12. Wake Forest

Last season: 13-19, 12th in the ACC.

Key players leaving: F Darius Leonard.

Key players returning: G Codi Miller-McIntyre, F Devin Thomas, F Konstantinos Mitoglou, F Cornelius Hudson, G Mitchell Wilbekin.

Key newcomers: G Bryant Crawford, C Doral Moore.

Overview: These guys are my preseason sleeper to surprise some people and possibly sneak into the league's top 10.

13. Virginia Tech

Last season: 11-22, last in the ACC.

Key players leaving: None.

Key players returning: G Adam Smith, G/F Justin Bibbs, G Devin Wilson, G Ahmed Hill, G Malik Mueller.

Key newcomers: G Justin Robinson, F Chris Clarke, F Kerry Blackshear.

Overview: Just like Wake, Virginia Tech has a solid coach and some scrap to it, but the talent gap is still there.

14. Georgia Tech

Last season: 12-19, 14th in the ACC.

Key players leaving: F Demarco Cox, F Robert Sampson.

Key players returning: G Marcus Georges-Hunt, F Charles Mitchell, G Travis Jorgenson, G Tadric Jackson.

Key newcomers: F Nick Jacobs.

Overview: The Yellow Jackets were actually one of the best defensive teams in the country last season, efficiency-wise, but the offense .. was not.

15. Boston College

Last season: 13-19, 13th in the ACC.

Key players leaving:
G Olivier Hanlan, G Aaron Brown, F Patrick Heckmann.

Key players returning:
C Dennis Clifford, G Garland Owens.

Key newcomers:
G Matt Milon, F A.J. turner.

Overview:
It's a rebuilding year after a rough season, but Jim Christian is a good enough coach to figure it out.

I think he has ND too high and Pitt too low, but otherwise I'm right there with it. Solid write up, where is the article from? Here's what I posted on the national board a few days ago...

1) North Carolina is my favorite to win it. Talent, depth, experience, and a coach who has won it.
2) Virginia. Justin Anderson is a great player, but overrated. Shayok will step up for them on the wing.
3) Duke. I LOVE Grayson Allen. Wish I had him on UofL's team. Some nice returners in the backcourt and another great recruiting class ... and that one guy on the sideline. Can't remember his name
4a) Pitt - Jamel Artis is a freaking stud. If they can get back to being a physical defensive team, they could get the last double bye.
4b) NC State - I know they lose Lacey, but they're an excellent defensive team. Barber, Abu, and Anya are enough for me to put them this high, but they have great depth on the wing and a great recruit coming in.
4c) Louisville. Because Rick Pitino and I'm a homer. He's put together quite a team of misfits that may suprise some people by February. I'm really high on Donovan Mitchell and Damion Lee.
4d) Miami - If Rodriguez stops chucking the ball, they could be a top 4 team. They had a couple guys transfer out, but still have great depth on the perimeter.
8a) Florida St - Two of the best returning freshmen in the conference with Mayes and Cofer. One of their 3 7 footers needs to become more than a tree in the middle. I could look stupid for putting them this low if Mayes progresses like I think he will.
8b) Notre Dame - Jackson and Auguste will be studs. Colson and Vasturia are valuable well beyond what shows up on the stat sheet.
8c) Syracuse - Kaleb Joseph is the worst Syracuse PG I've ever seen. Luckily they have Gbinije, who might have to carry the team single handedly along with Cooney's streaky shooting. Nothing in the frontcourt unless Coleman is healthy. Have a couple solid recruits I may not be giving enough credit.
11) Wake Forest - Thomas and McIntyre give them 2 guys who can carry the team. I love their uptempo style. Need to get better defensively.
12) Clemson - Blossomgame and Grantham were great last year. I don't like anyone else on that roster. Always solid defensively
13) Virgina Tech - for no other reason than Buzz is a fantastic coach. He lost some transfers, but a couple transfers become elligible for him too. Once he gets the roster he wants, he'll have VT consistently in the top half of the conference.
14) Georgia Tech - Size and defense, but they really lack playmakers.
15) Boston College - Without Hanlan, they're in for a very rough year.

Pretty good, breakdown, J. I think the article is from the CJ but I was skimming over quite a few articles/websites earlier.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT