ADVERTISEMENT

Ravens put “non-exclusive” franchise tag on Lamar

A team will give him his asking price and Lamar deserves it.
Not so sure. A lot of owners are miffed at Watson’s record setting contract last year. They don’t want to be the ones to establish a new precedent. Collusion comes to mind.

Not so sure. A lot of owners are miffed at Watson’s record setting contract last year. They don’t want to be the ones to establish a new precedent. Collusion comes to mind.
Lamar won’t get what Watson got, but he’ll still get what he deserves.

Lamar won’t get what Watson got, but he’ll still get what he deserves.
That makes no sense. Contracts - for good or bad - set the precedent. If Watson got a fully guaranteed 230M (or whatever) then, Lamar “deserves” more than that.

Reactions: KozmasAgain
I think CardX is closer to the truth. They are already saying that teams that need a QB will not enter the Lamar sweepstakes. They know how much it will cost them to first get him and then try to retain him. Don't forget there is some brotherhood among coaches. If a team does offer Lamar, Ravens will match it. If Lamar sits out, his value will decrease even further...

This would have been a done deal for LJ 2 years ago if he'd pony-up and pay an agent. As this stands, the NFLPA is essentially negotiating for LJ. The owners know that the NFLPA is using LJ to set a new standard for guaranteed contracts to be the norm. They are closing ranks to prevent this from happening as guaranteed contracts are not good for business because football is a violent sport and everyone get injured regardless of position. The NFLPA has no beef in doing what's best for LJ today and won't hesitate to make him a sacrificial lamb for "the future". Now there are claims of collusions among NFL owners....dahhh!!! Of course there is collusion because the owners know that giving LJ a guaranteed deal will bankrupt them in the future.

This would have been a done deal for LJ 2 years ago if he'd pony-up and pay an agent. As this stands, the NFLPA is essentially negotiating for LJ. The owners know that the NFLPA is using LJ to set a new standard for guaranteed contracts to be the norm. They are closing ranks to prevent this from happening as guaranteed contracts are not good for business because football is a violent sport and everyone get injured regardless of position. The NFLPA has no beef in doing what's best for LJ today and won't hesitate to make him a sacrificial lamb for "the future". Now there are claims of collusions among NFL owners....dahhh!!! Of course there is collusion because the owners know that giving LJ a guaranteed deal will bankrupt them in the future.
Guaranteed contracts for the 1/10th of 1% of NFL players won't bankrupt the owners - after all there is still is a salary cap. Would it potentially hamstring them regarding roster maintenance moving forward - injury or not? Of course and that is why they are resisting it. With that said, the precedent with Watson has been set and there's no way that LJ doesn't come close to that sort of deal - he knows it and so do the Ravens / NFL.

In that sort of scenario, there's no reason at all to pay a percentage to an agent.

I love Lamar and it's because of Lamar with the Ravens in a division with the Bengals that I think this was a smart play by the Ravens front office, because the Browns flatout screwed themselves with a historically bad contract that is going to saddle cap space for themselves as long as Watson is there. Why should the Ravens pay a contract based on what was an absurd standard for another QB in their Division? The answer is they shouldn't and that would be the case if was represented by Lamar's mom, Drew Rosenhaus or Waton's own agent.

Ravens needs Lamar and all everybody needs to do is look at there record without him, if he ends up somewhere else, it’s still on the Ravens because they had 1, 2 years before it came to where they’re at now.

A team will give him his asking price and Lamar deserves it.
Not likely and the results will be that the term of the contract, while large, will be a shorter term and not guaranteed money for a long period. These contracts have gotten out of hand and the percentage of the over all payroll is too much for one player. I am a big fan of LJ and wish him the best.

Great article yesterday on cbs … looks very much like the collusion by owners to prevent more contracts like DeShaun Watson’s is coming true.

If Jackson doesn’t end up with a contract he’s satisfied with, this could end up in court.

Will the Packers be interested, once the Jets sign Aaron Rodgers?
Packers seem to be ok with Jordan Love. All I know they are tired of Rodgers and his antics...

Lamar for Love + pick was an option discussed in an ESPN+ article within the last week.

The problem discussed with that deal was that the Packers are going to have to eat some of Rogers’ salary when the trade with the NYJ happens. That won’t be a situation where they will also have a lot of guaranteed money to sign Lamar.

Whether they love Love or not, sounds like they’re going to have to go with him for at least the next year.

Big move by the Bears tonight to trade out of the number 1 pick, pick up WR DJ Moore and 4 draft picks, including Carolina’s two first round picks in 2023 and 2024.

That move puts goose bumps on my skin … wondering whether Chicago is gearing up to try to sign Lamar Jackson.

Big move by the Bears tonight to trade out of the number 1 pick, pick up WR DJ Moore and 4 draft picks, including Carolina’s two first round picks in 2023 and 2024.

That move puts goose bumps on my skin … wondering whether Chicago is gearing up to try to sign Lamar Jackson.
I thought that the Bears is happy with Fields?

I think in the end, Lamar will go back to the Ravens. It sounds like Ravens only want to fully guarantee LJ for 3 years but he want a five years of guaranteed money. Ravens probably have an understanding with LJ that if he can get another team to guarantee him more than 3 years, they'll match the deal. I can see it from both side in that LJ want as many guaranteed years as he can get but Ravens also making good business decision just in case he has some career-ending injuring in the next 2-3 years.

I think in the end, Lamar will go back to the Ravens. It sounds like Ravens only want to fully guarantee LJ for 3 years but he want a five years of guaranteed money. Ravens probably have an understanding with LJ that if he can get another team to guarantee him more than 3 years, they'll match the deal. I can see it from both side in that LJ want as many guaranteed years as he can get but Ravens also making good business decision just in case he has some career-ending injuring in the next 2-3 years.
I also believe that it might end up like that but it didn't have to take all this drama if Lamar had an agent, in my opinion.

I also believe that it might end up like that but it didn't have to take all this drama if Lamar had an agent, in my opinion.
The most overrated notion is that Lamar should have an agent. It’s a nothing burger.

If Lamar had an agent and deferred to that agent’s judgment, there’s very little doubt in my mind that he would have had a long term contract last year.

Reactions: OldhamCard335
If Lamar had an agent and deferred to that agent’s judgment, there’s very little doubt in my mind that he would have had a long term contract last year.
But doubt exists, no less. Agents aren’t a god.

As a Packer fan, I sure as hell hope not.

• Haha
Reactions: PushupMan
Tell me about it. I grew up a Cincinnati Bengals fan, so I’ve had to demote the Bengals to #2.

Any update on Lamar's status?
This is another reason why Lamar should have an agent. Jets (if Rodgers doesn't work out) and Colts have now expressed an interest but only have the draft has been completed. Don't want to give up two first round picks but maybe work something out after the draft. There are so many scenarios to consider depending on how bad he wants out... although there was a video over the weekend where a fan asked Lamar and people are saying Lamar said he was coming back.. So who the hell knows???

Interesting article recently about how all this drama may affect the Ravens locker room. A guaranteed contract is not just for the future but reflect some payback for services rendered. Ravens have been paying LJ his rookie contract price for the past several years and now trying to nickel and dime him. I would say that LJ has more than proven that he's worth every penny of a premium contract. What if he's had a career ending injury last year or the year before while Ravens strung him along on a rookie contract where other MVP QB would have had an automatic 5 years contract at $40M+ 2 years ago. If you were another player on the team and seeing this guy taking all the risks in the past 2-3 years while the management twiddle their thumbs, you'd think hard about what loyalty means to the organization.

Interesting article recently about how all this drama may affect the Ravens locker room. A guaranteed contract is not just for the future but reflect some payback for services rendered. Ravens have been paying LJ his rookie contract price for the past several years and now trying to nickel and dime him. I would say that LJ has more than proven that he's worth every penny of a premium contract. What if he's had a career ending injury last year or the year before while Ravens strung him along on a rookie contract where other MVP QB would have had an automatic 5 years contract at $40M+ 2 years ago. If you were another player on the team and seeing this guy taking all the risks in the past 2-3 years while the management twiddle their thumbs, you'd think hard about what loyalty means to the organization.
uh... Lamar turned down $133 million guaranteed from the Ravens. That's not nickel and dimes...

Reactions: Deeva
It is when the market got reset to 240M guaranteed for a guy who couldn’t hold LJ’s jock with both hands.
I hear ya Ghost but everybody in the business knew that wasn't a realistic indication of the market. If Lamar had an agent they would have told him so. The Browns have already had to restructure Watson's contract...

That restructuring by the Browns is why it’s just so crazy that the Ravens and Lamar couldn’t come to some kind of compromise on a deal that approaches the amount of guaranteed money that the Browns gave Watson.

The Ravens are going to pay Lamar $32 million this year. Under the terms of Watson’s newly restructured deal, he’s getting $19 million this year. That gives the Browns more room to sign other great players than the Ravens.

Even under a guaranteed deal, there are options to restructure, and Jackson would certainly be willing to take that action if it meant allowing his team to sign a great teammate.

This craziness with this guy going around trying to negotiate with teams for Lamar is another joke. He's not certified by the Players Union. Its a sh&% show!

1. Agents don’t want Lamar to be successful- hurts business
  2. Teams don’t want Lamar to be successful- hurts business
Lamar is in contract limbo. QED.

1. Agents don’t want Lamar to be successful- hurts business
  2. Teams don’t want Lamar to be successful- hurts business
Lamar is in contract limbo. QED.
I don't think that is true. With Brady and Rodgers gone or past their prime, the NFL needs new heroes like Mahommes and even Lamar. He just has to play like one.

By “successful” I mean successful in getting a Deshawn Watson kind of deal and doing it without an agent. I should have been more clear.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT