ADVERTISEMENT

Rankings

CARDOMYTE

6000+
Gold Member
Mar 31, 2003
Slightly OT from today, but UL and ACC ties here.

Many of you on here are always up for a good conspiracy theory, and I’ve got one, related to CFP rankings. Here goes.

We all know the bias associated with the SEC. It’s only gotten heavier last 2 years. As is almost always the case, the top 3 teams are really good, and most of the rest are average, while bottom 3-4 aren’t good at all. However, everyone props them up, and when you start the season with 6-8 teams ranked or real close, you’re able to drive the bus of everyone playing tough schedules. If one beats the other, rankings aren’t impacted much.

LSU was used this year and given a fast pass to the top 15 in an effort to protect Bama, giving them what they expected to be a ranked win for the Tide. LSU screwed that up, and got another lift even as a 2 loss team. No one even talks about FSU beating them, and the blowout to UT, while barely escaping bad teams in the SEC.

Meanwhile, Clem is getting the typical treatment, lose 1 game and they’re dropped further than others, and media starts influencing others to believe they’re undeserving.

Fast forward to this week. USCJr has hovered around the T25 for several weeks, in and out. Everyone loved them for a month or so. Then they blast UT (no qb I get it-but still), they shellacked them. Do they get ranked?? Nope, of course not. Want to know why?? Because they play Clem this week and giving the Tigers another “ranked win” would make it hard to justify not moving them up. If the Gamecocks played anyone else today, you can bet they’d be ranked. Nothing more than positioning AGAINST the Tigers and ACC.

Now, for part 2. We were ranked simply due to playing Lex this week. The expectation from SEC land is they’ll roll us, and that gives the SEC another ranked win and builds the resume of lower teams.

We’re one of the hottest teams, and deserve it based on recent play, however, it’s nothing more than padding the SEC in this case.

Change my mind?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News