ADVERTISEMENT

FB RECRUITING: Quick observation on 2022 in-state prospects

Dave Lackford

6000+
Staff
Jan 14, 2014
Treyveon Longmire is a 2022 athlete out of Corbin. He's 6-foot-2, young, and can run and he started as a freshman last season and put up good numbers. With that he was offered by Florida State, Kentucky, Louisville, Purdue, Tennessee, West Virginia, and Western Michigan. In the recruiting game, particularly for a Kentucky kid, you want to have all the local offers heading into the Summer of your Senior season. Longmire is way ahead of schedule on what I call the 250 track, meaning he has the early buzz to crack the initial Rivals250 rankings when they are released for his class. There is only one other kid like that in 2022 and it's 6-foot-7, 350-pound Ballard OT Kiyaunta Goodwin. Goodwin holds offers from Cincinnati, Cuse, FSU, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Louisville, Purdue, and WKU. Selah Brown a 6-foot-1, 250-pound defensive tackle from Male can be thrown in this group as well after earning offers from Kentucky, Louisville, and Purdue but he's more on the high three-star track than the 250 track.

Anyway, the good news is that I have confirmed with all three that they will be in the stands for Clemson this weekend. All three have early offers from Louisville and they all speak highly of the new coaching staff. One thing Petrino and them sucked at was recruiting local talent. I'm not saying that Kentucky was a hotbed during the 2.0 era but they let some very talented prospects at the top of the list get out of state and they actually had a chance with a few of them, Rondale Moore and Stephen Herron come to mind as well as AJ McDuffie. The new staff has clearly taken a different approach and has done well to identify the top prospects in the state early and develop relationships.

For Longmire this will be his second visit this season. He visited for the Notre Dame game and told me he thought the atmosphere was "lit" and that it seemed to him the staff was really changing the culture and he had a lot fun on campus. Kiyaunta Goodwin and his people have expressed the same thing to me many times over the past few weeks. I once thought Louisville had no chance to land Goodwin but now I think they have a legit shot and will most likely be in his top-five no matter what big dogs jump in the mix. I'm not as tuned in with Brown as I am Goodwin and Longmire but Satterfield and company have done well to get him in the stands the last few weeks.

I was once a very vocal critic of Louisville's in-state recruiting efforts since the 2018 class. The difference between this staff and the old one is night and day and I'm not just saying that because they're winning right now. It started out a little slow but by May this staff had reached out to most of the major P-5 level prospects in the state and smoothed over some rough patches. There is still a long way to go but however in-state recruiting plays out over the next few cycles, no one will be able to say Louisville blew it with these three because they didn't get an early jump on their recruitments.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News