ADVERTISEMENT

Progress Or Fool's Gold?

shadow force

Jun 8, 2010
I remember having a similar discussion after the Texas loss but here we are again.

Will the Cards build on their first road win and the biggest win of the Payne era or will they revert back to their usual ways? Will they defy the odds for the second straight game by beating NC State?

Watched a replay of the game and I think it's a little bit of both.

Fools gold: I don't think Mike James is going to continue shooting 90 percent from 3. However, he has turned a corner with his perimeter shot and is the best shooter on the team.

Miami missed a ton of wide open 3's. Cards defense was bailed out by Miami's bad shot selection.

Progress: Louisville looked like a cohesive team. A group of players playing for each other. A team aware of what the other team was giving them. Don't know how much that's due to coaching or having a condensed roster of players finally figuring it out.

I think Williams should continue to start when White is back. I really like Glenn, just need him to score more.

It's obvious to me these players have not given up and that progress has definitely been made. The upcoming schedule however can easily be a dagger into any confidence gained.

If they persevere a bit more they could salvage double digit wins. Something like 11 and 20.

Anything much better than that would be an remarkable accomplishment. A winning record would feel like making the final 4 as a #16 seed.

Anything much better than that would be an remarkable accomplishment. A winning record would feel like making the final 4 as a #16 seed.
The ACC is trash this year. Anything is possible.. The KP Army is already off and running with the Miami win. A few more decent wins and another year of KP is going to happen..

Miami also missed alot of shots around the basket, multiple times because they got their own rebound. None of those missed shots from 3 or inside were because of our defense. Until we can play d and stop allowing wide open shots I'm thinking fools gold. Miami was not interested in that game.

Reactions: shadow force
I think defensively they still have major issues. Miami 2nd half offensively was a mess. A lot of contested shots and missed open shots. The year tells us the game was the exception not the rule.

They win against NC State maybe they figured something out.

I agree with many of you. The bad overall defense has always been a major concern and is always a factor in their inconsistent ability to win games. Pair that with exceptionally hot shooting that, so far, is not the norm and it appears the win is fool's gold until proven otherwise.

Though the Miami win was big for them, today's game is almost equally so. Win today and yeah they could have something.

Had a discussion yesterday with my brother about Miami and how they've been struggling for the last month.
We absolutely caught them at the right time and it looked to be the perfect storm.

As far as the ACC being trash...meh

Cards are definitely still going to lose most of their remaining games, even if they're playing like a real team instead of the keystone cops. But improvement is what is needed and a few upset wins along with a few expected wins is what needs to happen.

Staying competitive and learning from mistakes is all we as fans can really ask for. It's what I expected after the Texas game in November. I have made my opinion well known here that KP needs to go, but I will never pull against the Cards to make that happen.

Offensively, these past three games Louisville looks like a worthy team. If they could ever improve as much defensively, they could possibly win more games than expected.

But that's a huge if, especially with KP the coach.

If this teams wins a few more games and is competitive in most of the losses—like today’s game—Payne is probably keeping his job. It’s the reality, like it or not.

You as a fan have to decide whether you can support that program and its management anymore. If you can’t, it’s perfectly understandable. Not a single person said it would be acceptable to be at this point when Pitino was given the broom…

I really don’t think they will get to 10 wins. I don’t see how they keep him even if they look better. At least it is entertaining to watch.

If I'm reading the schedule right, the remaining games with a puncher's chance...

AWAY: Wake Forest, Clemson, Cuse, BC, and Pitt

HOME: UVA, FSU, Ga Tech, ND, Cuse, Va Tech, and BC

Four wins among those 12 games gets to ten wins total. I don't think there's a magic number, but Payne's backers will call that "progress." If this team doesn't collapse, it can compete in those 12 games.

It's where Year Three will be decided...

If I'm reading the schedule right, the remaining games with a puncher's chance...

AWAY: Wake Forest, Clemson, Cuse, BC, and Pitt

HOME: UVA, FSU, Ga Tech, ND, Cuse, Va Tech, and BC

Four wins among those 12 games gets to ten wins total. I don't think there's a magic number, but Payne's backers will call that "progress." If this team doesn't collapse, it can compete in those 12 games.

It's where Year Three will be decided...

Some of this backers will. The booster that is covering the buyout won't call that progress. You don't have to believe me but I'm right.

I'm amazed you quoted "10 wins" without putting it in a chart.

I believe progress would also include getting butts back in the seats. 4 more wins and 11 moral victories in a 4/5ths empty arena? Ehh. I think the fans, all fans, know we are better than that and this university deserves better as well.

I think right now anything and everything is still on the table. The clock on KP started when he got the pass from Heird. Right now he's at around 50/50 being back 🤷

Reactions: the artist FKA zipp
I remember having a similar discussion after the Texas loss but here we are again.

Will the Cards build on their first road win and the biggest win of the Payne era or will they revert back to their usual ways? Will they defy the odds for the second straight game by beating NC State?
Miami looked past us and that will be the last team to do so.

Reactions: CommodoreCard
KP will have to win at least 10 games and win 1 ACC tournament game to have a punchers chance of keeping his job.

...The booster that is covering the buyout won't call that progress...
giphy.gif

KP will have to win at least 10 games and win 1 ACC tournament game to have a punchers chance of keeping his job.
I don’t know if there is a magic number of wins. This is where it gets muddy. They are clearly getting better. They are young which can explain their defensive issues. Their youth explains their inconsistency on offense.

The problem is they completely botched year one and didn’t prioritize winning in year 1 or 2. They scheduled to win but botched the early schedule. If they win the early games they should have next year isn’t even a question at this point. More than likely we are going to be in this middle ground of losing but looking better.

A lot of games to be played so we will see.

Reactions: LouisvilleKid79
I see no scenario in which 10 or 11 wins on the season earns KP a third year. Before the season, many were saying NCAAT or he’s gone or at least .500 or he’s gone. We know now that neither of those things are going to happen. We would have to win 9 of our remaining games to get to .500. Plus….we’re are the recruits? Sure, he can get some players from the portal (maybe) but that would come at season’s end. Going into the end of the season with zero commitments should not bode well.

we’re are the recruits? Sure, he can get some players from the portal (maybe) but that would come at season’s end. Going into the end of the season with zero commitments should not bode well.
May also lose half the team in the portal..

I think it’s a combo of the team getting a little better but other, especially middle of the road conference teams, not taking us seriously. They look at old video and see just a horrible product. Miami and NCSU half a$$ it and before they know it, they are playing catch up with 5 minutes to go.

Reactions: UofLouisville
I don’t know if there is a magic number of wins. This is where it gets muddy…
Strongly agree with that. We like to debate number of wins, but I think U of L would tell you there’s not a number.

And fine to claim we don’t log moral victories. But a team that’s outright won ten games in a year and a half isn’t too good to reject anything. That’s prideful fan talk.

If this team plays competitively the last half of the season, and everything else considered, Payne’s getting a third year IMO. Doesn’t matter what we think…

Reactions: Cardiac Red
No coach would allow to have zero recruits this late in the season, especially with having little success in working the transfer portal.
Does he have any signed or committed ? I seriously don't know. I was just stating KP may lose half of this year's team in the portal and he may have a hard time finding replacements..

Does he have any signed or committed ? I seriously don't know. I was just stating KP may lose half of this year's team in the portal and he may have a hard time finding replacements..
My understanding is he has a three star guard commitment but the kid didn’t sign. Feeling is this kid is getting frosty feet.

I don’t worry about recruiting in 2024 because if he returns the additions to the roster will be transfers. It would be a miracle if he lands Knox. Plus high school kids could de-commit. The issue is 2025 and 2026 they aren’t being discussed with any of the top guys.

The goalpost has not moved for me (although I'm not a decision-maker in this process). The team needs to be in the NCAAT, period, for him to come back.
Problem is, people like you and I have higher standards than people making the decisions. They don't seem too worried about it and maybe they are even content with it..

Reactions: BooneCo_Card
I believe progress would also include getting butts back in the seats. 4 more wins and 11 moral victories in a 4/5ths empty arena? Ehh. I think the fans, all fans, know we are better than that and this university deserves better as well.
More than anything, it was the empty seats that spelled doom for Kragthorpe.

Reactions: Cardiac Red

You would have to be high or nuts to want to play for this guy! He definitely doesn’t have the talent, skill or know how to elevate one’s game!

I don't know if these kids are playing for themselves or not but it's apparent that they haven't quit on Payne... yet. Considering all the recent injuries there's no way I would have expected us to cut it back to single digits last night. Hell, if we had someone else shooting FT's besides Zan who knows we might have squeaked out a win.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT