ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Would You Rather UofL Continue A Series With Cincy Or Memphis?

shadow force

Jun 8, 2010
If UofL could only choose to continue one series matchup who would you rather they continue it with- Memphis or Cincy?

Which is the better rivalry in your eyes?

Which would be the better program to continue with?

Or do you say neither and leave it at that?

This post was edited on 4/4 4:17 PM by shadow force

Originally posted by KerryRhodes:
Easy.

Home and home with UC.
+1. This one is easy for 2 reasons.

1. Mick Cronin - Former UofL assistant.
2. John Pastner - Former slime ball assistant.

Cincinnati is closer and there is no comparison between the cities of Cincinnati and Memphis either.

That was easy...both.

Have you guys seen some of the nonconference teams on our schedule lately?...

Though we had some great games with Memphis in the past, I say Cincy is a bigger rival. And on the topic of Cincy, do you think the Big 12 will ever add them? All that's keeping it from happening (as I've heard) is Cincy's HS-sized stadium (mind you they don't play at Paul Brown Stadium).

Originally posted by zipp:
That was easy...both.

Have you guys seen some of the nonconference teams on our schedule lately?...
I actually wouldn't mind both either. Though if I had to choose I'd pick Cincy- home and home.

Cincy and Memphis are great rivalries. Really miss playing them and hope we start playing them again.

I said Cincy, but really doesn't matter that much.

Being just 100 miles from them and having the history we do, seems like a natural rivalry.

Back in the 80s, would have definitely said Memphis given some of the great games between the schools, but that has really died away.

I think UC will be back soon enough, that it will be fun to watch. I know road trips to UC were always a blast back in the days of Griff.

Originally posted by Ldub20Owl316:
Though we had some great games with Memphis in the past, I say Cincy is a bigger rival. And on the topic of Cincy, do you think the Big 12 will ever add them? All that's keeping it from happening (as I've heard) is Cincy's HS-sized stadium (mind you they don't play at Paul Brown Stadium).

The Big 12 isn't adding them. It's got nothing to do with stadium size.

So, what most of you are saying is that you'd rather play Florida International or Savannah State than Memphis?

Not sure I understand the logic in that...

confused0003.r191677.gif

Originally posted by zipp:
So, what most of you are saying is that you'd rather play Florida International or Savannah State than Memphis?

Not sure I understand the logic in that...

embarassed.r191677.gif

Originally posted by Birdie King:
Since the first pre-season Top 25 Poll didn't have us listed then maybe we need to be playing the F.I.U.'s and Savannah States.
I understand your point, but you're overlaying other issues, You're introducing the issue of who we're ready to play competitively. That was never stated as a precondition.

I could take an opposing view as well for financial reasons. For a long time to come, we need to play home games with no return games required. At least to try to keep the arena out of bankruptcy. If we accepted that constraint, however, there could be Cincy game either!

As I understand the question, it's simply who you want on your nonconference schedule. And absent other issues except the maximum number of games you can schedule, why would I want to play FIU instead?...

How about Cinci and any power 5 team not named Memphis? There's nothing to like about their history, coach, players, and especially fans. I have a healthy respect for Cinci and found myself rooting for them in the NCAA tourney, even against Purdue.

Memphis has shown no class in some of our games - they get more out of a potential game than we do.

We really don't need to be playing Memphis to get to where we need to get as a program. They don't respect us, they truly hate us, and they play a little dirty.

They are in the rear view mirror and I wish they'd stay there.

Originally posted by J-Rye_UL:
How about Cinci and any power 5 team not named Memphis? There's nothing to like about their history, coach, players, and especially fans. I have a healthy respect for Cinci and found myself rooting for them in the NCAA tourney, even against Purdue.
I ask any of you to tell me why a trip to Memphis is better than a trip to Cincinnati? The drive to Cincinnati is much shorter. The city of Cincinnati is a whole lot nicer to visit than Memphis. The UC academics and athletics are much more respected nationally than Memphis, and did I mention the basketball program is coached by a former Pitino assistant?

Like J-Rye_UL stated, there is absolutely nothing to like about Memphis State. Nothing.

Both Cincy and Memphis are good road trips. Would much rather play them instead of Virginia Tech and Boston College. It gives us a chance to recruit those areas also. Memphis beat us twice last year, and we beat Cincy up there last year, on an end of the game shot. The fan interest for both is high. Let's play 'em!
party0007.r191677.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT