ADVERTISEMENT

Point differentials of all losses this year and last year

glassmanJ

2500+
Jan 26, 2007
not reading anything into this, but here's how the season has gone score wise, along with last year, where the number is the amount we lost by and a W represents our wins. but imagine if we had a player who was a go to guy at the end of the game how things might have been different a couple of times.

1-1-1-26-32-19-15-27-18-W-W-8-12-23-1-8-13-21-19-10-14-W-3-34-8-3 (four 1 point losses, three 3 pt losses).

but if you throw out the pitt game as an outlier, in the last four games otherwise we've won one, lost by three twice, one of which was top 20 team, and lost by 8 to another top 20 team which we wer ein the game the whole way. they are improving and could have won three of the last four if they had any confidence they could, and a little more depth. they have zero at the moment, and tonight showed they don't know how to handle the pressure yet. but it only takes one game to break the ice. it's coming folks.

whereas last year we went
W-8-W-W-W-W-9-W-7-W-10-W-W-W-9-16-12-W-8-12-9-7-23-6-7-W-7-22-32-10-W-1

we started 10-4 then finished 3-15 last year when we had some expectation of being good and are 3-23 this year in a rebuilding year with a very short bench and depleted talent. keep believing people

we started 10-4 then finished 3-15 last year when we had some expectation of being good and are 3-23 this year in a rebuilding year with a very short bench and depleted talent. keep believing people
I’ll keep believing that Payne is a horrible coach, who’s in over his head at a school the size of Louisville. A seemingly nice person but, a horrible coach.

Reactions: Cardiac Red
I’ll keep believing that Payne is a horrible coach, who’s in over his head at a school the size of Louisville. A seemingly nice person but, a horrible coach.
i have no problem with that, the evidence in many cases backs your point. i see the improvement myself.

simple hypothetical to you, let's just say we absolutely suck this year, that it's part of the process, and that we will not win another game this season, with that in mind, for next year, what win total out of 30 games would tell you he could actually coach, 20 or 18 or 15, 12?

i'd put it as the 14ish mark, where a 14-16 record next year shows they absolutely improved, maybe 13 wins depending on how they look. anything over that you'd have to say the process is working.

(btw for those who love jay wright in comparison he went 10-18; 9-18; 12-15 and 19-12 in his first 4 years coaching. when he got to villanova he went 19-13; 15-16; 18-17)

i'd put it as the 14ish mark, where a 14-16 record next year shows they absolutely improved, maybe 13 wins depending on how they look. anything over that you'd have to say the process is working.
I agree that a .500 record or slightly better next year would show improvement. It's just the bar has been set so low by this season I fear that if Payne wins anywhere between 7-10 next year it will be treated as a resounding success when it shouldn't be.

we will be good when Kamari can score and rebound. he is the X factor. great ball handler and free throw shooter. but he is shooting around 25% from the field because of poor shooting mechanics. lot of off balance shots. also shoots very low so it's easy to block.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT