ADVERTISEMENT

Pitino Rebukes Student Reporter

Knucklehank1

6000+
Jul 12, 2004
Did anyone hear about this? I heard the comments. Didn't think they were TOO bad but it still was very unnecessary. Actually was surprised to hear Bob Valvano express his displeasure with Pitino's actions on his show today.

I realize coach was upset after the loss, but he doesn't need to be a jerk.

Postgame

I thought it was a fair question.Looked like we were running man offense against the zone.Watching NC attack our zone was a thing of beauty in the 2nd half.

Originally posted by Knucklehank1:

Did anyone hear about this? I heard the comments. Didn't think they were TOO bad but it still was very unnecessary. Actually was surprised to hear Bob Valvano express his displeasure with Pitino's actions on his show today.

I realize coach was upset after the loss, but he doesn't need to be a jerk.
We all have bad moments. People in his situation have them too, but the difference is when we have bad moments as people, it's usually isolated to a select few seeing it. When Pitino has his bad hair day, it can sometimes be in front of a microphone.

Was he being as ass? Yep. He's not perfect. He knows this team isn't shooting the ball well from the outside (it's been a reoccurring theme all season) so he got miffed when asked why. He showed his ass some, but if this student-reporter wants to break into the business, he's going to get that type of treatment every now and then.

I side w coach. All in all that's pretty weak sauce. People are sooo sensitive today. God forbid he drops a few bombs like CBK. There'd probably be a restraining order filed for terrorist threatening.

Go Cards!

link

Originally posted by beakwithteeth:
...All in all that's pretty weak sauce. People are sooo sensitive today...
This.

Maybe he was compensating for taking it EZ on the Florida guy who asked why we're not playing in the Yum Center next week.

rolleyes.r191677.gif

I side w coach. All in all that's pretty weak sauce. People are sooo sensitive today. God forbid he drops a few bombs like CBK. There'd probably be a restraining order filed for terrorist threatening.

Go Cards!
Side with coach on what? What sides are there to be taken. Simply put, it was poor form by Coach.

There are sides to be taken! Your opinion isn't king. Others may differ. Some disagree that it was out of line. They have the right to do so. It is a tough job speaking to reporters after a game. I don't know how any of these guys do it after a loss. I think coaches should get some leeway to say something edgy in these situations, but it always looks bad and gets overblown. They almost always apologize. Student or not, you are playing professional job, so this is how it goes sometimes.

"Simply put, it was poor form by Coach."

Gray shirts my ass. Somebody call Olbermann. Pitino is the worst man in the world.

"Did anyone hear about this?"

No, you were the only one, other than the rest of us and maybe a few million more.

"Others are wrong."

That's rich!

Go Cards!

"Others may differ."

Others are wrong.
Really? You sound so dead certain that yours can be the only right take on the issue.

One might say that CRP was being both cryptic and sarcastic at the same time......He didn't raise his voice or use any salty profanities.

One might say he was rather harsh or professional in stating the obvious about the reporter's question. In any event, I bet the young man will be better for the experience. Grow and learn.....follow up question.....anything that would have deserved a more positive reply. Think about that for a minute.

This is a media driven issue because none of the others in the audience had the stones to ask a different question....and left knowing that they failed to do their job properly in letting CRP off the hook with no further questions.....Hell Wayne was sitting their next to CRP.....ask him a question if not CRP.

Are we men are not men? The sensitive....touchy, feely stuff is getting out of hand. The wussification of America.....what a tragedy in the making. Grows some stones or go home and cry to mommy. Someone should have called out CRP at the presser at the time.....and not in retrospect. Media minches!

Nicely said Mayo!

One question, do you ever go mustard? Or maybe both, neither, other? Please don't be wrong with your answer.

Go Cards!

Originally posted by Mayoman:

"Others may differ."

Others are wrong.
Really? You sound so dead certain that yours can be the only right take on the issue.

One might say that CRP was being both cryptic and sarcastic at the same time......He didn't raise his voice or use any salty profanities.

One might say he was rather harsh or professional in stating the obvious about the reporter's question. In any event, I bet the young man will be better for the experience. Grow and learn.....follow up question.....anything that would have deserved a more positive reply. Think about that for a minute.

This is a media driven issue because none of the others in the audience had the stones to ask a different question....and left knowing that they failed to do their job properly in letting CRP off the hook with no further questions.....Hell Wayne was sitting their next to CRP.....ask him a question if not CRP.

Are we men are not men? The sensitive....touchy, feely stuff is getting out of hand. The wussification of America.....what a tragedy in the making. Grows some stones or go home and cry to mommy. Someone should have called out CRP at the presser at the time.....and not in retrospect. Media minches!
One might say that my response was both cryptic and sarcastic. Anyways, in my opinion (which is the correct opinion by the way....sarcasm) acting like a jerk is not a display of manliness.

I do agree with your last thought though. The media is generally afraid to ask tough questions to Pitino and afraid to challenge him when he is in a petulant mood.

Originally posted by Mayoman:

"Others may differ."

Others are wrong.

One might say that my response was both cryptic and sarcastic. Anyways, in my opinion (which is the correct opinion by the way....sarcasm) acting like a jerk is not a display of manliness.

I do agree with your last thought though. The media is generally afraid to ask tough questions to Pitino and afraid to challenge him when he is in a petulant mood.
Are you saying the student reporter was a jerk for asking a 'trap' question or that CRP was a jerk in how he answered the trap question?

Is being forthright and honest in your answer (not PC) a display of manliness in your opinion. In other words, calling it like you see it? or do you prefer tiptoeing around the issue?

Anyways, I like sarcasm well done.....but damn what a bunch of ninnies to not have followed up with more questions of CRP....and there was a perfect opportunity to ask the Senior WB what his thoughts were on the game.......unbelievable that not one of them had the fortitude to stand up and say something then.....borderline cowardly IMO.

Very few people like a sore loser.....but fewer still like a poorer winner. Fine line in that realm don't ya think?

How many of or fans would have liked it if CRP was in a jovial laughing mood after he just watched 'his' team have their asses handed to them in the 2nd half by a team that they dominated in the first half......because they were hitting their shots then and then went cold....and lost going away. Not a good feeling for any coach or human being.

If he apologizes to the young reporter....will you forgive him then.? Or do you just want CRP to resign as coach too cause he got snarky to a reporter? I know my answer.

Nicely said Mayo!

One question, do you ever go mustard? Or maybe both, neither, other? Please don't be wrong with your answer.

Go Cards!
I actually prefer mustard....but sometimes I use ketchup......and sometimes I just use salsa to spice things up a little.

But really, my last name is the same as a national mayonnaise company, so that has been one of my more PC nick names during this lifetime of mine....others, not so much....and can't use them here.
laugh.r191677.gif

You can guess which one is the best company to be named after.....that I leave to you. Cheers!
wink.r191677.gif

Go Cards! NCAAT its now or never. Go strong or go home.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT