ADVERTISEMENT

Petrino deserves a low grade today...

Bobby was quoted as saying the sideline ref told him that the clock was going to be restarted and Auburn could run the play clock all the way down before having to run a play even though Auburn was called for holding.

According to what he said, it was because Auburn made a first down on the previous play and it not being a dead ball foul the play clock would restart.

Seems all of us were fooled when the head ref said there would be no "runoff" as there would be if it was a defensive penalty with under a minute to play.

Seems like a bad rule but I don't believe Bobby was at fault.

Keep one thing in mind, Lamar Jackson didn't go through spring practice, and didn't participate in his first organized practice until mid June. Petrino and staff are the ones who got him up to speed, and was smart enough to insert him in the game when he, for whatever reason, pulled Bonnafon...even after the opening play disaster. With experienced options Bolin and Gardner on the sideline, Petrino made the in game decision that may have changed our program for the better for years to come. Then he orchestrated a game plan around Jackson that nearly brought us ALL the way back. I get the blame game after a close loss; much of it deserved. But give credit where due as well.

At halftime, Petrino said something about the center needing to snap the ball at the right time. I didn't make the connection between it and the opening play, but I could see the timing being off and the blocking not being were it needed to be.

I would give the coaching in this game a C grade. We were not sharp enough as a team to beat a very good opponent. After seeing Jackson at QB, I don't know why they started Bonnefon. I guess they felt like they couldn't justify starting a true freshman QB in the season opener. Clock management in the last 3 minutes and the squandering of timeouts was baffling.

Apparently, (per post game press conference) the center snapped the ball too soon on the opening play. I don't know what difference that made, but is clearly was a messed up play.
The early snap blew up the play and Jackson's pass was an improvisation, not a design. Evidently he was supposed to throw it to Bonnafon.

Reactions: beasleythecard
The early snap blew up the play and Jackson's pass was an improvisation, not a design. Evidently he was supposed to throw it to Bonnafon.

I would like to believe this was the case; do you have some proof of this? I don't want to come across calling you a liar; I don't think you are. I wonder where you got the info. My first thought when the snap went to Jackson was a pass to Bonafon, but I am no expert on Petrino's play calling.

I would like to believe this was the case; do you have some proof of this? I don't want to come across calling you a liar; I don't think you are. I wonder where you got the info. My first thought when the snap went to Jackson was a pass to Bonafon, but I am no expert on Petrino's play calling.
This was Petrino's explanation though he didn't say the pass was supposed to go to Bonnafon. I just assumed that because both quarterbacks were in the same play and Bonnafon would probably have been uncovered. But the pass he did throw wasn't what he was supposed to do.

Keep one thing in mind, Lamar Jackson didn't go through spring practice, and didn't participate in his first organized practice until mid June. Petrino and staff are the ones who got him up to speed, and was smart enough to insert him in the game when he, for whatever reason, pulled Bonnafon...even after the opening play disaster. With experienced options Bolin and Gardner on the sideline, Petrino made the in game decision that may have changed our program for the better for years to come. Then he orchestrated a game plan around Jackson that nearly brought us ALL the way back. I get the blame game after a close loss; much of it deserved. But give credit where due as well.

That's a pretty good counter.

I still say the opening play call was a major setback and gave Auburn control. The team was stunned early and it took a while to shake off.

Last edited:
I disagree, Ipartied. Auburn is a top 10 team.

I think Auburn is a 3-5 loss team. A good team, but not top 10 good.

They were gifted 14 pts and kicked a 55+ yd FG, and were begging for the finish line.

We may be better than I thought we would be. We'll see!

Last edited:
Reactions: Deeva
Coaches have bad days just like players and the rest of us. It was a bad day for Petrino mostly.

This was Petrino's explanation though he didn't say the pass was supposed to go to Bonnafon. I just assumed that because both quarterbacks were in the same play and Bonnafon would probably have been uncovered. But the pass he did throw wasn't what he was supposed to do.

Let me explain the play and why the early snap destroyed it.

I've watched the play from the "elevated/secondary" view...which they actually showed a replay of in the game broadcast. The play was indeed designed to go to Quick. It was supposed to be that classic diagonal crossing route (you do realize that Quick came from the opposite side of the field), with a max-protect scheme, a deep fly down the left side to draw the safety, with RB in the left flats. When the snap came unexpectedly early, the protection was not ready, and Jackson had Lawson bearing down on him and was flushed from the pocket to the right. By the time he escaped and was able to look downfield, the route Quick was running was no longer open because the timing was way late and the defense was able to adjust and flood that side of the field. The throw was ill-advised...just a teenager trying to force a play that wasn't there. He did have Crum about 5-6 yards downfield in the flats uncovered that he could've dumped it to, but by that time, the play was busted and they were all trying to create something out of nothing. I think the call was great, just very poorly executed, and the snap mistake led to the breakdowns, and blew up on them when LJ made a bad decision.

Got it. So Bonafon was supposed to have gotten clear of the backfield much earlier before the snap.

Thanks for the explanation, ajg.

I agree. It was basically the same play that ran successfully with Brohm and Bush 10 years ago. Still was a high risk play to start the game and was costly. More disastrous, in my opinion is the muffed handoff by Bonnafon in the second quarter. CPB said he was getting tired, but the reality is he just appeared to be stuck in slow gear. Until Jackson was inserted into the lineup, the offense seemed destined to repeat last year - 2 more failed red zone attempts, leaving more points on the field. Despite the huge mistakes, if the offense had executed in the first 20 minutes of the game, we would have won.

Reactions: pervisl
I know we get excited, but Jeeze, all this damn & gloom :(

But for some True Freshman, first game and first play, mistake caused by a botched center and a later fumble, we almost beat this SEC top ranked #6 team( LOL). Not really sure where they will wind up but I think we are going to have a really good team.

Jackson is a team leader, he really got us going in the second half and the energy was unmistakeable. AU which rushed to over 3,300 yards(to our 1,800) last year, gashed us a few times, but we won that stat and everyone that was kept.

There will be a lot more mistakes but this will be good team and fun to watch.

Reactions: pervisl and Deeva
From an AU fans perspective the game was won in the first half. I won't say AU dominated the half but they completely controlled it. UL took control of the second half but AU still made plenty of plays and actually was very close to blowing it open although it never felt like a blowout no matter what the score. AU had the better half and that was the difference.

From an AU fans perspective the game was won in the first half. I won't say AU dominated the half but they completely controlled it. UL took control of the second half but AU still made plenty of plays and actually was very close to blowing it open although it never felt like a blowout no matter what the score. AU had the better half and that was the difference.

Good observation...Louisville also did itself no favors in the first half as well...wanted to beat you guys but yesterday the better team won...Good luck the rest of the way

Reactions: Cue Card
I wish the game was about 4 minutes longer. It was a CARDS victory. Auburn was gassed chasing Jackson around. They would have no steam left to continue. Sometime the better team doesn't win. But you control your own destiny. You can't lay the ball on the ground when you play a top 10 team.

Let me explain the play and why the early snap destroyed it.

I've watched the play from the "elevated/secondary" view...which they actually showed a replay of in the game broadcast. The play was indeed designed to go to Quick. It was supposed to be that classic diagonal crossing route (you do realize that Quick came from the opposite side of the field), with a max-protect scheme, a deep fly down the left side to draw the safety, with RB in the left flats. When the snap came unexpectedly early, the protection was not ready, and Jackson had Lawson bearing down on him and was flushed from the pocket to the right. By the time he escaped and was able to look downfield, the route Quick was running was no longer open because the timing was way late and the defense was able to adjust and flood that side of the field. The throw was ill-advised...just a teenager trying to force a play that wasn't there. He did have Crum about 5-6 yards downfield in the flats uncovered that he could've dumped it to, but by that time, the play was busted and they were all trying to create something out of nothing. I think the call was great, just very poorly executed, and the snap mistake led to the breakdowns, and blew up on them when LJ made a bad decision.

Even though the snap was off, it still could have worked. Both Radcliff (23) and Pedro Sibiea (73) missed a block on number 55 of Auburn. IMO if they pick him up, the play would have worked. A mistake that can fixed.

Gutsy way to open a game. If it worked for a touchdown we would all be happy and celebratory. Well it failed and we are all like wtfwt.

Good news is Lamar Jackson is a stud.... We need to build around him and move forward.

Go Cards!

I thought the call was perfect to serve notice to AU that we were not afraid of them, and that we were going to attack all day long. Of course the snap was off, so we should have thrown it away. LJ wishes he had that throw back, so he learned. That play did not lose the game for us, our O-Line did. Great comeback and now lets go win the rest of the games we play. Great season coming up !!!

Auburn won the game because:

Auburn blocking >>>>>> Louisville blocking

It was really that simple. I was very impressed that we kept this game close considering the above. I think there were a few reasons that contributed to this:

1) Jackson is FAST
2) Our offensive play calling, considering our OL woes, was extraordinary
3) Adams and Lawson were unblockable in the first half; after Lawson left Auburn's defense looked similar to, well, Auburn's defense a year ago. They were gashed by the read-option in the 2nd half; if I'm Auburn fan, I'm petrified right now on Lawson's medical condition.
4) Jackson is FAST....REALLY FAST!

Here is how the 1st play was supposed to work (if you have this game on DVR, watch the end zone replay...if you're not an absolute football junkie, avoid this post at All costs lol because of its absurd length!!!):

1) Reggie goes in motion, and defense responds to motion, resulting in two things, a) showing hand to Jackson on how they will defend, and b) isolating slot WR (Quick) on Mike LB...remember this was 1st down, first play of game, and the genius of the play call, because Auburn is packaged for a run play. When they notice Lamar there ready to take a direct snap, their pre-game prep kicks in and "QB run" or "read option" goes through their mind, just like they're taught. It's also what BP wants.

2) at snap, we immediately show appearance of read option with our fast freshman QB. But that's not really whats happening, it's only the bait, to keep the Sam LB and boundary corner sucked in toward the LOS. This play is really going to be a classic Petrino play-action diagonal crossing pattern to his stud WR lined up in the slot in a mismatch when motion creates a switch. And the genius of the play is in the appearance of a read-option, coupled with the vertical stretch route down the left side, which creates a hole in the secondary where Quick is running.

3) our left-side wideout runs vertical route down left side to hopefully get the free safety leaning his way. RB is a decoy to spread the defense. TE is staying home on right side to complete the 7-man max-protect blocking scheme. The design of the play is to create a void or gap deep down field on the right side between a) the Sam LB/boundary CB, who are being frozen toward LOS by TE & RB and appearance of run read-option to that side, and b) the free safety who shades the vertical route left, then running the slot WR (Quick) on a diagonal cross to that spot with a supreme mismatch against the Mike LB (Classic BP).

4) after Jackson pulls ball from Radcliff's gut in what has the appearance of a read-option right play, instead of running up field between the tackles, he is supposed to put foot down and backpedal into pocket (behind a 7-man max protect scheme), look left at the vertical route to "look off free safety," then throw a strike to Quick for 6. Beautifully designed play.

That's what was supposed to happen. IMO, It was an incredible play design.

However, what happened was Hughley prematurely snaps ball and totally destroys the timing since half the team is caught off guard that ball has even been snapped. And the following transpired:

1) ball hits Lamar in chest as he's looking downfield watching the defense react to RB motion (QB read responsibility to confirm how Quick, his primary, is going to be covered). Amazingly, he catches it, and immediately begins running play by faking handoff to Radcliff.

2) Left wideout sees snap and runs his vertical route. Pedro is at left guard and is pulling toward decoy hole, while everybody else blocks down left. But because snap is soon, play is not in rhythm, and Pedro misses Lawson who is converging toward QB & RB handoff exchange. Quick is still in his stance, watching RB approach him in motion even after ball is snapped.

3) when Lawson avoids tackling Radcliff and pressures Jackson, Lamar can't throw to Quick yet because he is just starting his route. Quick gets open almost right away when he cuts in front of the MLB, but Lamar is now escaping pressure, and is in total improvisation mode running toward sideline. Quick is still open and breaking free, but a long and accurate pass on the run is now needed as defense help has now recognized Quick and is adjusting.

4) Jackson waits too late to throw, then makes poor decision to do so under duress as he's running out of bounds, throwing an inaccurate wobbly duck for an easy INT.

5) Danielson analyzes the play and rips BP for a bad play call, having absolutely no idea what he's even watching.

The play call was awesome, but the execution was miserable, due to a premature snap. I'm sure BP had this play for some time, and I'm it was practiced multiple times during game week. I don't know what triggered that early snap, but #61 has had a history of snap issues that I just don't understand.

Auburn won the game because:

Auburn blocking >>>>>> Louisville blocking

It was really that simple. I was very impressed that we kept this game close considering the above. I think there were a few reasons that contributed to this:

1) Jackson is FAST
2) Our offensive play calling, considering our OL woes, was extraordinary
3) Adams and Lawson were unblockable in the first half; after Lawson left Auburn's defense looked similar to, well, Auburn's defense a year ago. They were gashed by the read-option in the 2nd half; if I'm Auburn fan, I'm petrified right now on Lawson's medical condition.
4) Jackson is FAST....REALLY FAST!

Spot on. My biggest take away is AU has to have Lawson and why did we slow play Jackson as a QB? We were in good shape with him and decided not to take two QBs. Dude would be a nightmare in our offense. Very impressed with Petrino adjusting his offense to Jackson because you know the zone read/wildcat is not his style. UL is a threat THIS year and will be running the ACC in a year or two IMO.

Heinous opening play call. Put the team in a bad spot immediately.

Bizarre QB rotation. All summer to decide who to go with, then a shuffle midway through the game.

Horrid gaff @ end of the game burning the time-out when he didn't need to do it.

Agreed on the opening play call.

The QB choice was Reggie (with LJ being a close #2) but when RB failed to make an effort on the fumble recovery TD, BP made the choice to give LJ a series at that point. And LJ did well enough that he stuck with him for the rest of the game.

I don't consider that a bizarre rotation at all.

Practice..practice ..practice. Had that play worked, what then? I saw many areas where we need to improve our execution. One example was a run play, where the RB was lined up left of the QB, and was handed the ball to run right. The left side of the line pulled at the same time and resulted in the Defense getting an open door to tackle the back in the backfield. The next time they ran that play the back was on the right side of the QB, and gained yardage in front of the line pulling from the left. It's all in the execution, which comes from coaching and practice.

Push it's bizarre to me that we need the opening day starting QB to fail to hustle to see the QB that gives us the best opportunity to win the game take over.

If BP is gutsy enough to call a goofy 1st play for the kid I'd think he'd have the pills to go ahead and start him.

On to the next!

Push it's bizarre to me that we need the opening day starting QB to fail to hustle to see the QB that gives us the best opportunity to win the game take over.

If BP is gutsy enough to call a goofy 1st play for the kid I'd think he'd have the pills to go ahead and start him.

On to the next!

He did start him......he took the first snap....not Reggie. After throwing the interception on a eff'd up play....;.CBP re inserted Reggie likely so as not to hurt LJ anymore than the first play already had.

His psyche was spared any further damage as a TFr on a big national stage.....and he was given time to settle down and recover from such a horrendous first play ever as a Cardinal. Then in the 2nd Qtr and after Reggie's failure to pursue on the fumble return......CBP had the 'pills' as you say to give Lamar another shot.....and the rest is now history. Stuff that legends are made out of.

It was a great game. We played the worst possible football in the first half. The second half the Cards dominated. We almost won, despite only playing offense for one half. Our defense looked phenomenal. I'm not sure what to think of some of you in this thread.

Lamar lined up in back field as an running back for the trick play. If the play had worked he would have headed to the sideline and Reg would have remained on the field as the QB.

Reg started under center and went in motion. He then played the rest of the half until he watched Auburn go to the house on the fumble.

Lamar was given a trick play chance. Maybe if it didn't blow up he would have been given a series sooner.

Or maybe he would have stayed on the field and Reg would have been seen as a decoy on an opening drive? I don't think BP would have done that to Reg - trot him out as a starter but then yanking it out from him and using him as a decoy. Seems highly unlikely.

Maybe if Reg hustled down the field on the fumble Lamar would not have been given a series at all.

This is a lot of speculation and that's part of the problem I have with how it was handled. There's always in-game changes but would think having a clear-cut starting QB is wise move. Maybe we have that now. Or, if Lamar isn't on his game next week is it musical chairs?

BP got roasted pretty well nationally for the time-out fiasco and the botched trick play so I don't think it's off-limits to discuss it here. Doesn't make me any less of a fan to vent about it. Sure if the trick play works he's the man but since it didn't he'll have to own it.

There's a # of plays in a game that matter but BP's obscene failures on two specific plays stand out. OTH it's fair to give him all the credit for having packages for Lamar and playing to his strengths in the 2nd half.

I try not to call out players but I think it's fair to discuss when a coach performs poorly in a marquee game.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="Ipartiedwithhopgood, post: 108225, member: 2812"]Lamar lined up in back field as an running back for the trick play.
Reg started under center and went in motion. He then played the rest of the half until he watched Auburn go to the house on the fumble.

Lamar was given a trick play chance. Maybe if it didn't blow up he would have been given a series sooner.

Or maybe he would have stayed on the field and Reg would have been seen as a decoy on an opening drive? I don't think BP would have done that to Reg - trot him out as a starter but then yanking it out from him and using him as a decoy. Seems highly unlikely.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did anyone ask CBP this question? Or are you likely assuming that your assertion is fact? IDK.

But since CBP had the 'pills' to try that play in the first place.....it may be that Jackson was his intended starter. I wonder what CBP would say if asked? Would be interesting to know the answer.
Anybody?

I think that BP would play anybody or do anything possible to have beaten Auburn or any team for that matter....but that is just me. Interesting to say the least.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT