ADVERTISEMENT

Peny Boone Into Portal

I also heard that some of the NIL checks were bouncing... Please don't shoot the messenger.
Here’s my thoughts.

We have great NIL. I don’t think any checks are bouncing. But, I do think every school has a bit of over promising and we fall prey to that line every place. I don’t think it’s as big as we think, but also other schools are over promising as well.

I think players and agents aren’t very smart. The agents may be the players best friend with zero legal or financial training or expertise. Who knows.

What we know is the 502 has said they learned their lesson with Flowers. They aren’t paying all the money up front. That is not a check bouncing that is a collective making sure they are protected. To a player and agent that isn’t reading or understanding all the details that may seem like they got tricked😃.

Bottom line this NIL environment is stupid.

Starting positions are earned. That will never change under this staff. The collective checks bouncing is also rumor and inuendo coming from otherschools wanting in on our Nil supported portal players. We should investigate and call out these schools.

Reactions: CardsFirst
This is very simple. When Boone committed, the Cards were losing their top two backs. Boone figured the staff wanted him to be the man that replaced them. He probably knew other backs would get some carries, but he expected to see the most by far.

During spring practice, he saw other backs that could get in the way of all of that, and when the coaches told him that the best will play and that may be more than him, he bolted.

At Toledo, he was it. There wasn't any sharing the carries with other backs so that's what he's looking for by leaving Louisville. I won't be surprised if he ends somewhere where there's a void at RB.

Reactions: 2330859
Honestly - they need to go to a game check situation or at the very least - create deals that are heavily backloaded to insure that there’s actual on field value from these guys.

The whole thing is just a freaking game of Liars Poker at this point.
I think going to a game check comes down to direct payment, which would remove the last fig leaf from the NCAA’s beloved “amateur” status, which frankly has been at the root of a lot of problems, because of the overzealous policing of it by the NCAA. Game check would be pay for play, which would be illegal.

Reactions: SoulSr
I think going to a game check comes down to direct payment, which would remove the last fig leaf from the NCAA’s beloved “amateur” status, which frankly has been at the root of a lot of problems, because of the overzealous policing of it by the NCAA. Game check would be pay for play, which would be illegal.
However as reported in another thread - states are enacting legislation that allows schools to pay athletes directly and provides legal coverage in the form of lawsuits filed by the states against the ncaa, in the event that they try to sanction them.

If that holds - it becomes just a matter of timing of the payment. Schools / NIL collectives should quickly come to the conclusion that pay for play is dramatically better use of money - than pay for attendance.

However as reported in another thread - states are enacting legislation that allows schools to pay athletes directly and provides legal coverage in the form of lawsuits filed by the states against the ncaa, in the event that they try to sanction them.

If that holds - it becomes just a matter of timing of the payment. Schools / NIL collectives should quickly come to the conclusion that pay for play is dramatically better use of money - than pay for attendance.
I just saw that. If that happens, UofL is done as a major player in football. Only a handful of schools can afford to operate a professional football team. Maybe in basketball we’ll be alright since there are only 15 spots. “College” sports are D-E-D dead.

Reactions: Guardman
I just saw that. If that happens, UofL is done as a major player in football. Only a handful of schools can afford to operate a professional football team. Maybe in basketball we’ll be alright since there are only 15 spots. “College” sports are D-E-D dead.
I think about 40 schools max will figure out a way to do major pay-for-play. Louisville will not be one of them.

Honestly - they need to go to a game check situation or at the very least - create deals that are heavily backloaded to insure that there’s actual on field value from these guys.

The whole thing is just a freaking game of Liars Poker at this point.
I'm waiting for contracts to rear their heads in the future. It really has nothing to do with education or even the school anymore. Protection for the money giver has to make an appearance at some point.

No prediction about the future of college football right now, but Deener’s report about Boone failing to displace Donald Chaney Jr as the #1 RB is 100% accurate. Every UL player and coach witnessed Boone’s inability to move ahead of Chaney.

No disrespect intended towards Boone, as he can definitely play beyond Toledo and MAC level; however Chaney Jr brings a combination of size, speed and ability to change direction that was proven successful at Miami over an entire season; something that Boone simply couldn’t match.

NIL a money is most attractive, but it pales into comparison of NFL draft potential for those who can exhibit their abilities at a P5 University. Boone needs to go to a P5 school where he is the #1 featured RB, and UL was not that school.

Chaney Jr. is a beast. He’ll be a punisher for sure. The Browns also looked good last night and I think Kewon (sp.?) shows a ton of promise. Hope they make use of him.

Reactions: Isasakran
No prediction about the future of college football right now, but Deener’s report about Boone failing to displace Donald Chaney Jr as the #1 RB is 100% accurate. Every UL player and coach witnessed Boone’s inability to move ahead of Chaney.

No disrespect intended towards Boone, as he can definitely play beyond Toledo and MAC level; however Chaney Jr brings a combination of size, speed and ability to change direction that was proven successful at Miami over an entire season; something that Boone simply couldn’t match.

NIL a money is most attractive, but it pales into comparison of NFL draft potential for those who can exhibit their abilities at a P5 University. Boone needs to go to a P5 school where he is the #1 featured RB, and UL was not that school.
Not so fast.

Just confirming what Deener reported and has been repeated by both players and staff. All of the NIL & Transfer Portal is still unchartered territory for both players and coaches. Think about this for a moment; if he was running #1 RB and was having questions regarding the NIL money .........does anyone believe he would leave without first reconciling the differences with an NIL issue? Conversely, if it was about NIL money, why would he consider returning? Kids make decisions without thinking about the consequences.

Look at the kid.

Arrived at Maryland in 2020 during COVID. Doesn’t get much burn so moves on to Toledo.

His first year at Toledo the 3rd string back. Then by his 2nd year he’s one of the top performing backs in the nation, but at a school where there are low expectations.

This kid just one year ago probably wasn’t thinking he was a NFL player or could get this kind of attention. Then 4 months ago he hits the portal and moves to Louisville. Spends a few months here and it’s different. Maybe he thinks there’s more NIL? Maybe he doesn’t like the coaches? Maybe it isn’t a good fit?

But just read back his timeline the last 4 years of his life and tell me that a kid like that who has made all these crazy moves wouldn’t be indecisive.

He was in High school in Detroit, went to Maryland, went to Toledo, and just got to Louisville. That’s a lot of movement in 4 years especially considering his SR year into his freshman year at Maryland were lockdown pandemic heavy.

We’ll see more of this as this portal thing adjusts, but these kids are now seeing money and opportunity like never before and I couldn’t imagine what I would do at that age.

Reactions: 2330859
Well said LeFors; if he returns and can contribute one year here; that's great! If he lands somewhere else, I suspect it will be more a result of UL staff making that decision.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT