ADVERTISEMENT

Peny Boone Consider Returning?

Oh come on now. I can't imagine Coach Brohm likes being led around like this? If any of the reports were true him leaving was due to running with the 2nd team during spring practice, Brohm should close the door.

I would happily take him back because he is that good and the best way to avoid injuries is to platoon your players. Injuries happen when players get tired if you build a good rotation you wear down your opponent. I do think him leaving s not a good look but maybe it was an agent or someone who misled him.

Reactions: 2330859
I just think back to our 2004 team and all those amazing running backs we had then … and if we could get Boone back, the offense on this team could rival that one.
Yeah, I remember the year Michael Bush went down and the offense didn’t miss a beat. It would have been better with him, but even without him we had a strong running game.

Reactions: KozmasAgain
I know Boone had great numbers at Toledo, but there must be something else that Coach Brohm saw that didn't convince him that Boone was the man.

A head coach has to test the highly rated newcomers on a assortment of things and will usually accommodate that player if he's that good. Brohm had him running with the 2nd and even the 3rd team in spring practice.

Maybe coach wanted to see how he would react? Maybe he noticed a lack of effort with Boone who gave the impression he came here to start? Well Boone bolted back into the portal and Coach Brohm got his answer.

Now maybe someone told Boone that he wasn't necessarily going to not be the starter and his rash decision to leave was a test that he failed? Boone realizes his reputation is in question with other coaches and thinks staying at Louisville is his best option?

Now it depends on what Coach Brohm will do. I wouldn't be surprised if Boone stays on, but it may be too late?

I'm sure this is happening all over the country with this ridiculous portal transfer rules.

I would be surprised if JB lets him back if the reason he left was that he was not running with the 1st Team. JB's building a culture that is about competing and winning. Nothing is given to anyone. You have to earn it. He also has said he wants players who love their teamates. I don't know PB, but he seems like a guy that is only thinking about himself.

We are all trying to paint PB as a bad guy who didn't want to compete, but if he left because of a misunderstanding of the NIL, I certainly think he deserves a 2nd chance.

We are all trying to paint PB as a bad guy who didn't want to compete, but if he left because of a misunderstanding of the NIL, I certainly think he deserves a 2nd chance.
I agree 100 percent that he should be allowed to return if it was a misunderstanding about NIL.

Given today's culture, I suspect CJB will allow his return if indeed he expresses a desire to be at UL.

If he is visits sUcK he is shopping for more money and if he is talking to sUcK he doesn’t need to come back.

Reactions: Mayoman
This one sucks. I don’t think Peny Boone is game-changing at all in terms of our ceiling, but it no doubt hurts. Our running game was poised to take a step back due to losing 2 studs, but I was hoping the depth would hold strong with the pieces we added.

I do think Chaney and Turner are adequate, so it’s not an area of weakness. But I do worry if there’s an injury.

And no matter how good you feel about a player that’s unproven, you just do not know until they touch the field and get reps. We do have a lot of unproven behind the top 2.

But if we can stay healthy and Shough being better than Plummer, it won’t be a huge factor.

From someone really close to the situation, that door has been closed. Some agents are hard to deal with. We’ll probably lose some others before the portal closes. But at the same time, we’ll bring in some to fill those losses.

Reactions: rh62531
If he is good enough to play at UGA; I will be terribly disappointed that he left UL. Let's watch this play out, as I would question UGA ever losing an RB to sUcK that was actually coveted by the Bulldogs.

Reactions: Rollem Cards
I would think a lot of guys hitting the transfer portal would be because they know they are going to get beat out. The other reason is because another school offered more money.

Deener reported this morning that a Ga. Assistant Coach was surprised they were mentioned since they weren’t even looking at PB.

There was a stirring of bad blood occurring in the locker room with PB or "hand!ers". Brohm packed up belongings and put them outside.
If true, this makes sense of what has happened. PB couldn't handle some trash talk about running with the 2nd team and well, dudes will be dudes.

It was probably shut down before any real violence but it lingered enough for Coach Brohm to hear about it, and if there were "handlers" involved in the locker room, he removed their stuff.

No way is he going to let a newcomer become a cancer in the locker room. Now maybe it was PB's people who were the most to blame and that's why there was word he may remove himself from the portal and stay at UofL?

Apparently, Coach Brohm wasn't convinced and sent him packing. Brohm is building something special and bad blood between teammates cannot be tolerated.

Reactions: KozmasAgain
Seeking his fourth school in five years, and third in six months, KSR was informed Boone could not transfer enough credit hours toward a degree at Kentucky.

He’ll have to start getting ready for the next draft. Maybe he should have done that this year. There’s always UFL…..
Best of luck, Peny!

This is a crazy situation. The article makes it seem like Louisville is his only realistic option and there is no way we’d take him back. He will probably end up somewhere like Liberty or back to Toledo. His “agent” should never sign another player

This is a crazy situation. The article makes it seem like Louisville is his only realistic option and there is no way we’d take him back. He will probably end up somewhere like Liberty or back to Toledo. His “agent” should never sign another player
I don't know. Does Jeff want to be known that he can also be a compassionate coach and give a kid another opportunity who made some bad choices and faces his career to end if he doesn't get another chance? Is there a silver lining to the story and Boone is able to show remorse and proves his value to Jeff? How does this look to future recruits who want to play for Jeff? Obviously, he knows the plays. Is the risk worth it? A lot of intangibles that we as fans might not know.

I don't know. Does Jeff want to be known that he can also be a compassionate coach and give a kid another opportunity who made some bad choices and faces his career to end if he doesn't get another chance? Is there a silver lining to the story and Boone is able to show remorse and proves his value to Jeff? How does this look to future recruits who want to play for Jeff? Obviously, he knows the plays. Is the risk worth it? A lot of intangibles that we as fans might not know.
It’s easy to explain to recruits why we refuse to take him back. I don’t know how involved he was with the bounced check rumors, but him choosing to go to our in state rival is petty. Peny is an adult and he did this to himself. There is no way you can spin it in a way where our coaching staff looks like the problem, especially when we just had a transfer running back go in the draft.

Here’s the problem with us taking him back … the same "80% credits toward a bachelors degree" rule for a player who has completed his 4th year applies to UofL as well as UK.

A typical bachelors degree requires 121 credit hours. 97 hours is enough to be above that 80% threshold. You take 12 credit hours in the fall, 12 in the spring, and 3-7 hours each summer, and you graduate in four years … plus the summer school courses give you the “buffer” to be well above the 80% requirement.

UofL should not reserve a scholarship for a player who has proven over the course of four years that he’s not willing or able to do the course work required to stay eligible.

Here’s the problem with us taking him back … the same "80% credits toward a bachelors degree" rule for a player who has completed his 4th year applies to UofL as well as UK.

A typical bachelors degree requires 121 credit hours. 97 hours is enough to be above that 80% threshold. You take 12 credit hours in the fall, 12 in the spring, and 3-7 hours each summer, and you graduate in four years … plus the summer school courses give you the “buffer” to be well above the 80% requirement.

UofL should not reserve a scholarship for a player who has proven over the course of four years that he’s not willing or able to do the course work required to stay eligible.
Does he need to be on scholarship if he can secure NIL money?

It’s easy to explain to recruits why we refuse to take him back. I don’t know how involved he was with the bounced check rumors, but him choosing to go to our in state rival is petty. Peny is an adult and he did this to himself. There is no way you can spin it in a way where our coaching staff looks like the problem, especially when we just had a transfer running back go in the draft.
As i mentioned I doubt as fans we know the complete story, at least both sides of it. We know how agents can be. There was some misunderstanding regarding kids getting full payment of their NIL money and leaving early like Flowers? The rumor was actually true, players were not going to get all of their NIL money up front. You almost have to have a business degree to understand playing college sports now.

I think the problem is that he doesn’t look like he is academically eligible to play. The other issue sounds like there was a chemistry problem with him in the locker room based on comments from other posters.

Does he need to be on scholarship if he can secure NIL money?

The two are separate, as far as I understand it, so technically he wouldn’t have to take up a scholarship. But you do have to be on scholarship to receive the stipend that all NCAA D1 scholarship athletes are now receiving (as of 2-3 years ago).

What I would expect is that his agent has a NIL contract with him and that he is currently using that to pick up expenses. If he’s going to take classes this summer to get eligible, he would likely do that in his home state of Michigan, where he could get in-state tuition. Also, none of those free training table meals if you’re not on scholly!

The system is a failure, and while the coaches and the schools are disadvantaged, there will be instances where kids like Peny fall in the cracks.

Education and obtaining a degree? That is no longer a realistic expectation for these athletes considering a professional career in sports.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT