ADVERTISEMENT

Opening day

earsky

Four-Star Poster
Jan 12, 2010
Ok, here we go! The countdown is on,but will we be playing Friday or 2 on Saturday?

Thirty Seven the predicted high for Friday, I'm hoping for 2 on Saturday.

Home opener still listed for 3 o'clock Friday.

Reactions: gocds
Ok, here we go! The countdown is on,but will we be playing Friday or 2 on Saturday?

Thirty Seven the predicted high for Friday, I'm hoping for 2 on Saturday.

Home opener still listed for 3 o'clock Friday.
I am normally present for opening day but I will be in Florida. See you guys down the road and sooner rather than later.

GO CARDS!!!

Reactions: earsky
Was thinking the same thing. Two on Saturday, as it appears they it would be a much nicer day, would be great.

Reactions: shutterbug
Bucknell Bison come to the Ville to open the 2023 campaign for both teams.
One win away from crashing the party last season, I expect they'll try to crash our party this weekend.
I'm sure CM has reminded the guys that these Bison 🦬 have some bite.

Per twitter
Hawks,Phillips and Ligget starters for opening series

Interesting. I like Hawks personally. I thought last year he made huge strides and I hope he comes out hot. Earsky - there’s your guy Liggett.

Reactions: earsky
Interesting. I like Hawks personally. I thought last year he made huge strides and I hope he comes out hot. Earsky - there’s your guy Liggett.
For now at least, Kuehner playing the role he finished out on last year. This thing could change before ACC play,but yeah Ligget barreling his way towards the top...for now.
For the sake of the team I hope it sticks.

Of course, maybe we see Tate on Tuesdays.

Reactions: Bardman
For now at least, Kuehner playing the role he finished out on last year. This thing could change before ACC play,but yeah Ligget barreling his way towards the top...for now.
For the sake of the team I hope it sticks.

Of course, maybe we see Tate on Tuesdays.
Maybe. You think CDM goes in another direction. I think Tate is a guy who can pitch multiple relief innings and possibly on a Fri and then again on a Sunday. He is guy who can really save bullpen arms.

Couple of surprises today. Mangrum starting in CF and Cook dhing.
Mangrum is a Juco guy that is ready to make a name. He's a good one.

Opening day for umpires as well. Strike zone is a bit…shaky so far.

Guys getting on base early - good. Have to capitalize. Hawks looking good.

New guys looking good McCoy, King, and Cook all with base hits. The old bugaboo of overly aggressive baserunning bit us last inning … just not sure what Knapczyk was thinking with that attempted steal after the force at second.

Hawks is looking great - thought he really improved late last year.

Glad to see that Hawks has learned how to keep his hat on his head! Haircut, maybe?

Wow, McCoy with 3 hits including a 2-run homer. Fred King Jr with 2 hits (a triple and a double). Now we know why these two guys have been plugged in as the 4 and 5 hole hitters!

Wow, McCoy with 3 hits including a 2-run homer. Fred King Jr with 2 hits (a triple and a double). Now we know why these two guys have been plugged in as the 4 and 5 hole hitters!
Big time additions needed with what we lost. King looks like a future stud in the OF defensively as well.

Reactions: PushupMan
McCoy is the real McCoy. Sorry, couldn't resist. King looks great and I anticipated Humphrey moving up in the order. No way was he a #8 hitter. He may end up being the Cards leading hitter.

Loved seeing the pitchers throwing strikes. That was definitely a issue last season. I was outside with my dog for 3 minutes during the 7th inning and I froze my ass off. How those guys can plan baseball is amazing.

Oh, to be young.

It was good seeing the team back out there today. Nice win. They looked good.

Reactions: Deeva
I think we'll see some different faces throughout this weekend and beyond vying for an every day spot...thing is, there might not be one available with the exception of the guys we already knew were gonna be there every day.
I think that there are 3 spots in the batting order that will see a revolving door with 8-9 guys,maybe all year. Cook,Hawkins, Anderson, Forbes,Smith,Mangrum,Benson and Killen will all be in and out of the lineup, possibly all season.
I know Mac likes to settle on something eventually, but these guys are too good to let them sit and watch. With the portal playing such a big part in the landscape of collegiate sports today, I'd look for a shifting of CM's philosophy a bit to keep some of these guys happy 😊.

As I suspected, Mac working in all of the above guys, giving them all some swings.
This could continue throughout the first third of the season.
Interesting to note that Kilen got the start yesterday, but at Second base instead of short. He's a solid fielder,as is Smith.

Reactions: rh62531 and Bardman
I am expecting to see a couple of others today as well.

I am expecting to see a couple of others today as well.
Looking for Forbes to get his turn, maybe at 3rd with Smith at 2nd and Beard dhing?
I know Hawkins is dealing with some tendinitis issues in his elbow.

Appears Justin West may start mid-week as he is charting pitches for the SUN game.

Interesting that Smith also starts at 2B today rather than SS. McD loves stability at SS so Knap stays there.

With Forbes at DH today, I wouldn't be surprised to see him pitch an inning or 2 late in the game. Kill the DH but allows McD to PH when the spot in the order comes up combined w/ a P change.

Interesting that Smith also starts at 2B today rather than SS. McD loves stability at SS so Knap stays there.
After seeing Kilen at 2nd base yesterday, I was less surprised that Noah would be there today. I believe you've nailed it about the stability out there and the little guy's not letting go easily. I'm gonna miss #9 when he's gone,can't lie. I enjoy watching him play.

Nice problem to have. Young guys will take time at the plate. It takes most freshman a year to catch up with this level of pitching.

Fielding is plug and play. 2nd is a good place to train a freshman. Short is a different animal. Smith looked good yesterday big hit late.

Appears Justin West may start mid-week as he is charting pitches for the SUN game.
No Kuehner? Do we know if there's an issue with him? I would've thought since we didn't see him at all this past weekend, he'd be going Wednesday against Xavier.

No Kuehner? Do we know if there's an issue with him? I would've thought since we didn't see him at all this past weekend, he'd be going Wednesday against Xavier.
Moth said on the radio broadcast that they were holding him out the 1st weekend due to some minor soreness. Hopefully that clears up quickly. If he was healthy, I'm sure we would have seen him in the 8th or 9th yesterday rather than stretching Farone or testing Wiegman.

Moth said on the radio broadcast that they were holding him out the 1st weekend due to some minor soreness. Hopefully that clears up quickly. If he was healthy, I'm sure we would have seen him in the 8th or 9th yesterday rather than stretching Farone or testing Wiegman.
Sounds good. Btw, I commented about West last week I think. He is a good looking Freshman. Big ole breaking ball that finds the zone. I think he'll do well against Xavier.

I heard Moth say the same thing. No need to push him as we need him 100% for Houston. As far as the pitching staff goes…haven’t seen Gundy, Masterman or Forbes. Any others (other than West) we think are going to pitch this year?

I heard Moth say the same thing. No need to push him as we need him 100% for Houston. As far as the pitching staff goes…haven’t seen Gundy, Masterman or Forbes. Any others (other than West) we think are going to pitch this year?
Grundy was getting warm at some point yesterday but didn't pitch. Forbes was in the pen when Wiegman was shown warming up to replace Farone.

Other Ps on the roster include: Cam Robinson, Trevor Amburgey (JR), Biven (2-way, FR), Wyatt Danilowicz (FR), Ethan Patera (FR), Dan Snyder (FR), Nolan Smoot (FR).

You wonder if any of the FR will be held back the 1st several weeks in case McD wants them to be able to redshirt if not needed / won't have a significant role this year.

Biven got in on Sat. I saw Gundy warming up; didn’t see Forbes. I’d guess Amburgey and maybe another FR from the group. Might as well RS the others unless absolutely needed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT