ADVERTISEMENT

Offensive scheme

CardHack

Four-Star Poster
May 29, 2001
Brohm has a reputation as running a lot of gadget plays--seemingly at a pace of at least one a quarter when he was at Purdue and Western. When Petrino was in his wheelhouse he would run a wrinkle or break the huddle into a formation he hadn't shown previously and quick snap before the defense could adjust....knowing presnap what they were going to do and how they were going to react based on priors and how they were setup defensively on plays "from his Script". The coup de grace was down in Miami in 2004; he'd slot Joshua Tinch in the backfield or flex him at a TE to iso him on an LB...then hide him and bring him across the formation and get big chunk yardage off it off of bootleg action from Lefors. It was an approach that should hang in the Louvre.

I mention all of that prologue because we've seen it from Brohm in both of the first two games. That throwback to Coleman against Ga Tech was one and he snuck one in last night that got my attention quick; sometimes my daughter thinks I'm nuts when I say something out loud like a ManningCast, "either they're running it short side or this is a Max Protect One man route for Thrash"...because they snuck Martin and Lifson on with a 2nd and 6 from midfield and broke into a bunch formation. Thrash was one of what looked like two in the route running a deep post all the way across field and was open, but Plummer misfired. They ran a different look on the first drive in the 2nd half and quick snapped into the handoff that Jordan broke for the TD that was called back and also ran Jordan straight down on a seam route down the right hash. So if you are looking for some reasons to be optimistic know that Brohm looks to hit home runs out of those wrinkles--and he got what he wanted from them last night. I think the pass blocking appears to be good enough so far to expect that to be a feature of this scheme though we are running these wrinkles against somewhat overmatched fronts so far.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News