ADVERTISEMENT

Notre Dame

Bardman

Four-Star Poster
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Why does it take multiple 2-strike hits, a couple of extra base hits and then losing the lead before UofL even has a guy throwing in the pen? Really?

So, he has been getting hit. His pitches are not staying down and losing velocity. So…let’s leave him in the game. BANG. Homerun Irish and we lose the lead.

Reactions: Jgrimes1320
Well, Hawks is our ace starter, and it was just the 5th inning. You’re hoping that he battles out of it. You don’t want to get into that bullpen too early in game one of a three game series. Plus, your counting on your offense to get you more than 3 runs.

Last edited:
Gotta disagree. He had that opportunity in the 4th and got lucky. Why even bring him back out? He struggled in his last couple of outings. He got blown up in, I think, the 5th inning vs Ga Tech. Gotta have some faith in your pen when that starter starts to struggle.

Cards bats are cold in this game. There's only been 3 or so hard hit balls.

I've been controversial before here about the lineup yet it still seems obvious to me.

Knapp should bat 9th. He comes up with runners on and there's almost no chance for an extra base hit. No way he should lead off on a team with so many better options.

ND was successful pitching junk. Hardly a Cardinal was overpowered. The Cards hitters didn't adjust and it was mostly all soft contact. It just looked like we weren't interested. Very disappointing.

Poor offensive performance. Hawkins swings at a pitch inside and in the dirt for 3rd strike, and with a 2-0 count, Beard looks at a waist strike that is perfect for any hitter in that situation. That all occurred in the top of the 9th with a great opportunity to tie the score …… that provided a good example of what I saw for the previous 8 innings.

Unfortunately I think Hawkins should be the 5th option in the OF. It was already mentioned - uninterested. The guys just didn’t seem dialed in today. UND isn’t that good.

Okay, what is the deal with the wristbands? I thought it was clear that the pitches are being called by a coach and relayed to the wristband. Pitchers don't appear to have the authority to ignore the pitch called.

Yet, another group of game announcers today continue to make comments to the effect that the Pitcher decides what to throw. They know what the wristbands are for.

I don't like that by the way. I think a starting pitcher should decide what he wants to throw. Maybe Hawks wouldn't have continued throwing the slider so much after he hung three in a roll?

Cards bats are cold in this game. There's only been 3 or so hard hit balls.

I've been controversial before here about the lineup yet it still seems obvious to me.

Knapp should bat 9th. He comes up with runners on and there's almost no chance for an extra base hit. No way he should lead off on a team with so many better options.

ND was successful pitching junk. Hardly a Cardinal was overpowered. The Cards hitters didn't adjust and it was mostly all soft contact. It just looked like we weren't interested. Very disappointing.
Thats all you got? Knap batting 9th? He had 2 hits. Payton, McCoy, Forbes and Benson 0-14. That last ball was headed in the gap..

The offense will bounce back tomorrow and force the rubber game. These guys seem to respond after losses well.

Thats all you got? Knap batting 9th? He had 2 hits. Payton, McCoy, Forbes and Benson 0-14. That last ball was headed in the gap..
My opinion is not on this game today alone. I felt this way last season but I understand why McDonnell didn't want to upset the apple cart. He's a good spray hitter that rarely strikes out.

However, I think the offense would be more effective if he wasn't one of the first four hitters. He's great for the 8 or 9 spot in the order.

My opinion is the top 4 hitters should be the first 4 in the lineup. Most teams don't have 6 or more dudes worthy of the top 4 and Louisville so far is no exception.

I would love to see these lineups.

Vs Right handed starters

1. Humphrey
2. Benson
3. Payton
4. McCoy
5. Cook
6. King
7. Kiener
8. Knapp
9. Beard

Vs lefties

1. Benson
2. Humphrey
3. Payton
4. McCoy
5. Forbes
6. King
7. Kiener
8. Beard
9. Knapp

It is one game and they were just ‘flat’. A few balls they hit hard went right at ND players. I think after 4 innings the pen should be up and warm to relieve Hawks.

Reactions: rh62531
We did not lose the game because of our pitching, or our batting order ……. We lost because we simply failed to hit the ball the way we have most of this season. I think this team arrived unmotivated, most likely based on the anemic ND batting averages …….. unbelievably low team averages.

Reactions: earsky
Yeah, it's not crazy to think the guys don't always show up. Long season and all that,it is important how they respond to adversity.

It's still March and we've already won 18 games without really being the best version we can be. Just keep scratching out wins.

Yeah, it's not crazy to think the guys don't always show up. Long season and all that,it is important how they respond to adversity.

It's still March and we've already won 18 games without really being the best version we can be. Just keep scratching out wins.
I would add that it might have been more of a case of ND getting up to play us. They have been struggling and a top 6 team (depending on what poll you look at) comes in and their players step up. It happens a lot in baseball.

Reactions: earsky
I would add that it might have been more of a case of ND getting up to play us. They have been struggling and a top 6 team (depending on what poll you look at) comes in and their players step up. It happens a lot in baseball.
This is definitely true and yet they scored only 4 runs. Cards should take care of business these next two games. They are so much better than the Irish.

It happens a lot in baseball.
It happened last Saturday with GA Tech and then again the next day with us.
These guys seem to rise up when challenged and I hope to see it again today.

We need Farone to bring his best stuff and shut em down.

Go Cards!!

Seeing that the game is postponed today. Double header tomorrow starting at 11am

Reactions: Deeva
Single in the 5th. Knap Needs the triple to complete the cycle. Beard with the bomb gives the Cards a. 3-0 lead!

Well crap! Koger left a couple of pitches up in the strike zone and ND drilled both of them.

We just don't look locked in. We're allowing ND to gain confidence with just plain unimpressive at bats.

This series is looking like one of those "blah" series you see in baseball when an inferior team just does enough to win it. Hopefully, the Cards can avoid a sweep. They're going to have to score 7 or 8 runs though to win one of these games.

Reactions: Bardman
See, Kielan has a great at bat and gets robbed of a RBI by the 1st baseman. This series just looks like its meant to be for ND. They're just playing their second home series, being a nothern school.

We will do good to avoid a sweep.

Hit batsman to lead off the 6th. Koger appears to be struggling mightily locating his pitches.

There it is again. Cards line out into a double play with the bases loaded. ND is just supposed to win this series.

RU kidding me? I literally thought, right before it happened, watch Anderson rip a line drive drive RIGHT at someone and we get doubled up. Geez!!

I've seen this a thousand times over my 4 decades of watching baseball. Cards came in to this series overconfident even if they swear they respect ND.

And this opens the door for the inferior team to take advantage of the quirks of baseball.

McCoy = Cebrano/Cerrano (movie Major League). Can hit the ball a ton but swings and misses on every breaking pitch. Just seems like every swing he takes he is trying to hit it 500ft.

Is Magrum hurt? You’d think se see him pinch-running as he is supposedly the fastest guy on the team. I guess I don’t see the trust in Hawkins. I mean, I wish Hawkins could get it together as apparently he has the skills but just can’t get it going once the lights are on.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT