ADVERTISEMENT

Notre Dame

Solid 1st inning by Poland. Weather isn’t too bad out here as long as the rain stays away.
Oh man I couldn't wait to get back to my car. Lol
Two outstanding performances by the starting pitchers,although I thought some of our guys had some really bad at bats early in the game.
Idk,I just think after yesterday,the Cards have gotten into their pen deeper than the Irish have gone. Kudos to Webster for coming in and putting the ball in the zone. That double play was a huge momentum shifter.
Let's get the broom out and sweep these mugs tomorrow.

Oh man I couldn't wait to get back to my car. Lol
Two outstanding performances by the starting pitchers,although I thought some of our guys had some really bad at bats early in the game.
Idk,I just think after yesterday,the Cards have gotten into their pen deeper than the Irish have gone. Kudos to Webster for coming in and putting the ball in the zone. That double play was a huge momentum shifter.
Let's get the broom out and sweep these mugs tomorrow.
hopefully we have Corbett/Prosecky/Schmeltz available today. got a lot of faith in Phillips to go out and get us off to a good start

Reactions: earsky and Bardman
Well, normally the Friday, Saturday and Sunday rotation is based on a teams top 3 pitchers. The #1 guy usually faces the other teams #1 guy on Friday. Wouldn't you rather have your best starter facing the other teams best or does it not matter?

Right now, McDonnell doesn't know yet who is top 3 starters are, but hopefully he will have that figured out sooner than later.
Strategy. Sometimes if you’re facing a legitimate ace (think McKay Detmers), you might not want to use your #1 and end up losing 1-0. You throw your #2 and hope their #1 has an off day and you increase your chances for at least a split. It’s all about matchups.

Observations:
-Our hitting lineup is very, very good
—Plus, there are a coupme of subs who can also come in and hit
-Tate and Poland really appear to be solid and reliable
— Phillips has pitched well; can he really step up to provide 6 solid innings consistently? Can Seamus show confidence and be the ‘guy’ forweek games?
— Bullpen C- thus far. Prosecky, Corbett and Webster. To me, those are the guys who can be counted on right now. All others have been a ‘hold your breath situation’.
- Rushing is our best catcher; he has proven to have the best arm of the three who have played catcher. Jack has to improve throwing the ball to be the future at catcher.
- On that note, Jack has been decent behind the plate and is hitting the ball
- Ben is the best defensive 1B; he has hit the ball well. If he goes cold (hopefully) that doesn’t happen I am not sure who plays first.
- OF, although not as blazing fast as in years’ past, has been very solid.
- I know we all have ‘questioned’ Knap’s throwing ability at SS. Seems like he loses concentration on some of his throws. It would surprise me to see him moved to 2B (at least this season).

Reactions: earsky
I know we all have ‘questioned’ Knap’s throwing ability at SS. Seems like he loses concentration on some of his throws. It would surprise me to see him moved to 2B (at least this season).
Yeah I agree. If you really wanna mess with your leadoff guy,who's hitting 400+ and God knows what on base percentage,move him to 2nd. He's not going anywhere. He makes the hardest plays and has a bit of the yips,like a golfer tapping in 18 inch putts,on the routine ones. It's a mental thing.
I really enjoy watching this kid play. He's one of my favorites over here in a while.

Yeah I agree. If you really wanna mess with your leadoff guy,who's hitting 400+ and God knows what on base percentage,move him to 2nd. He's not going anywhere. He makes the hardest plays and has a bit of the yips,like a golfer tapping in 18 inch putts,on the routine ones. It's a mental thing.
I really enjoy watching this kid play. He's one of my favorites over here in a while.
Oh really? If he continues to throw the ball away and costs us some games, do you still think he's going nowhere? If anything effects his hitting it would be his continued errors in the field.

SS is the most important position on the infield and it's not just his errors, it's his arm is not strong enough to throw runners out in the hole. Everything about him on defense says 2nd base and McDonnell is only playing him there because his backup is a freshman.

Sooner or later he will permanently move to 2nd base. But we'll see.

It’s been fun watching this team develop to this point. We’re starting to figure out the pitchers we can count on.

I’d like to never see our 1B Bianco, after fielding a grounder, attempt a throw to the short stop for the force at second. Just step on first and get the force. I’ve seen him attempt that throw 3 times now, and he’s missed the shortstop every time.

No I don't. And so far the errors haven't bothered him at all at the plate.
Because he hasn't cost us a game yet. Remember last season when he had the yips for about 4 games? Like I said, even if he consistently made the routine throws, he still doesn't have the arm needed at shortstop. There's no way he would ever be a major league SS and you know he has MLB aspirations?

At best he's serviceable at SS but that is in question if he continues to commit errors, especially throwing errors. He needs to move to 2nd base eventually and then he may be a great 2nd baseman.

I like the kid. He's an old school hitter, reminds me of Brett Butler but his ceiling is probably Mark Lempke.

I may be wrong but I predict he will be playing 2nd base before he graduates.

The one before should have been a double play. He looks like a 2nd baseman having to play SS. I'm really surprised with Coach McDonnell that he hasn't made the change yet, but maybe the backup isn't much better?

It's a pretty big hole on this team. It's so obvious.

Looks like we're a bit susceptible to right handed curveballs. ND pitcher got 75 percent of his strikes on that pitch being taken.

Bullpen - again. Why not bring in the lefty vs their left handed batter? Makes zero sense. Then, leave Gundy in too long. So frustrating.

Looks like we're a bit susceptible to right handed curveballs. ND pitcher got 75 percent of his strikes on that pitch being taken.
And after seeing it twice. Throwing strikes with the breaking ball early then letting guys chase it out of the zone late.

McDonnell is still looking for guys he can use in late game situations and it was Grundy's turn. Yet two more walks and another careless error and out he goes.

It's really perplexing to me why these pitchers have so much trouble throwing strikes. It's like a kicker missing extra points or a big man missing dunks.

Our bats will win a lot of games. If we can shore up the defense this could be a world series team. I think there's enough arms in the bullpen to find 3 or so to go with Corbett and Prosecky. The Walter kid today looked great.

I think we're back.

Reactions: Deeva
Our bats will win a lot of games. If we can shore up the defense this could be a world series team. I think there's enough arms in the bullpen to find 3 or so to go with Corbett and Prosecky. The Walter kid today looked great.

I think we're back.
We've got a little shoring up to do with the at bats against the top pitching imo.
Lots of bad at bats in the last two days.
I'm happy with the endings the last two days but if we are to go deep into the season,guys have to get better at bats early. Jmo

McDonnell is still looking for guys he can use in late game situations and it was Grundy's turn. Yet two more walks and another careless error and out he goes.

It's really perplexing to me why these pitchers have so much trouble throwing strikes. It's like a kicker missing extra points or a big man missing dunks.
Walter looked pretty promising in the 8th

Reactions: Bardman
Walter looked like a very serious pitcher today. Lost in all of our fine inspection of this team is that compared to a year ago,we're a much more competitive team,even though they can get better.
Great weekend for The Program.

Walter looked like a very serious pitcher today. Lost in all of our fine inspection of this team is that compared to a year ago,we're a much more competitive team,even though they can get better.
Great weekend for The Program.
agree this team makes me feel like we can compete with anybody, our offense is clearly top tier. didn’t get that feel from last years team

Reactions: Bardman and earsky
Oh really? If he continues to throw the ball away and costs us some games, do you still think he's going nowhere? If anything effects his hitting it would be his continued errors in the field.

SS is the most important position on the infield and it's not just his errors, it's his arm is not strong enough to throw runners out in the hole. Everything about him on defense says 2nd base and McDonnell is only playing him there because his backup is a freshman.

Sooner or later he will permanently move to 2nd base. But we'll see.
He’s batting an unreal .455. The error he made yesterday was a seemingly easy DP and he was a little cute about as he thought he could flip it to 2nd.

Beard is also hitting at a great clip. I look for him to only improve at the plate. He’s had a few miscues of his own but I don’t see you taking or moving either one because of how it affects the entire lineup. As long as they continue to hit and make the routine plays, they’ll stay where they are.

The error he made yesterday was a seemingly easy DP and he was a little cute about as he thought he could flip it to 2nd.
Yeah,I think he was gonna flip it with the glove but he went to flip it before it was in his glove. I agree that the play before could've been a double play but he's got a little hitch where he almost double clutches it. Again,like the bullpen and guys at the plate going against top notch arms,just get a little better every day.

Couple things
1) The younger hitters are going to be really good. Benson by all accounts is going to good. He wasn’t ready for the 4 spot.
2) The lineup is solid 1-9. Hitting comes and goes. The main thing is they get fooled but never over matched.
3) Pitchers are young. It will take time.
4) Phillips and Poland are solid. The 3rd starter is up in the air.
5) Walters is electric but he maybe limited to 1-2 inning. I think he tips his pitches. Odd delivery seems to tip his off speed stuff. Fastball is legit.
6) Their fielding is going to cost them games. Routine plays have to be made. Routine ground ball and dropped throw. Cost them 2 runs in a close game.

Overall the pieces are there to be really good.

Couple things
1) The younger hitters are going to be really good. Benson by all accounts is going to good. He wasn’t ready for the 4 spot.
2) The lineup is solid 1-9. Hitting comes and goes. The main thing is they get fooled but never over matched.
3) Pitchers are young. It will take time.
5) Walters is electric but he maybe limited to 1-2 inning. I think he tips his pitches. Odd delivery seems to tip his off speed stuff. Fastball is legit.
6) Their fielding is going to cost them games. Routine plays have to be made. Routine ground ball and dropped throw. Cost them 2 runs in a close game.

Overall the pieces are there to be really good.
— Tate has been very reliable and consistent. I think the weekend guys are set. Is, could they adjust Fri-Sun rotation? Maybe. I like going lefty, to righty and back to a lefty.

— Tate has been very reliable and consistent. I think the weekend guys are set. Is, could they adjust Fri-Sun rotation? Maybe. I like going lefty, to righty and back to a lefty.
I think it's still Kuehner. A guy that relies on hitting spots and getting the curve in the zone did neither last Friday. I'm sure he will get to answer for it this weekend.

I don't know who in the bullpen could be a starter and who is definitely just a reliever. Other than Corbett and Prosecky.

I would like to see Hawks and Webster get a shot. I think everyone assumes Seed will ultimately be the fourth starter but at this time it's really up for grabs.

I think everyone assumes Seed will ultimately be the fourth starter but at this time it's really up for grabs.
I'm not gonna assume anything other than if it's not Moose,the next guy up is Seed,a guy that was starting on Saturdays at the end of last season and is coming off an injury.
Couldn't tell you if he's gonna end up being the 4th guy or not. It looks pretty fluid right now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT