ADVERTISEMENT

Notre Dame

earsky

Four-Star Poster
Jan 12, 2010
The name should be enough after what happened last season. Add to that,they are the # 1 team in the country and we are set for one of the biggest weekends of baseball around here in quite a while.

First pitch slated for 7 tomorrow night. Stay tuned on that with impending rain moving in.

Go Cards!

I think weather is going to really damper the series. As far as: When the games actually occur and attendance due to colder, wet weather. Add the fact that our WBB also opens their NCAA tourney this weekend - the team may not get all the butts in seats this series deserves.

I think weather is going to really damper the series. As far as: When the games actually occur and attendance due to colder, wet weather. Add the fact that our WBB also opens their NCAA tourney this weekend - the team may not get all the butts in seats this series deserves.
I think they'll try to get one in earlier tomorrow. Maybe start at 3 or so?
Nothing yet on the site. I'm looking at the weather right now. There's a break in the rain after lunchtime tomorrow.

Last edited:
What time do the Lady Cards play? If the game tomorrow gets moved up to afternoon,could work out for all of us.

WBB plays at 6PM. You should go!
Hey,the Irish owe us one😂. Maybe they'll get here and we can play that baseball game at 2 o'clock. Surely,we'll all be over our St Patrick's day hangovers. Lol

Weather and other commitments mean I'm not going to make the 3 games this weekend. Anyone want 2 tix? Want to make sure the seats are filled and whoever goes is loud!!!

Not a great start. 3-0 top of first inning. Big 2-run HR to left. Going to need our bats for sure.

The Cards pitching continues to struggle but I have to say, there's been an unusual amount of seeing eye singles this season.

Koehner is not a Friday starting pitcher. He's a Sunday starter at best.

Defense is definitely a major flaw with this team. I think the team will go as far as the bats will take them.

Still early but tons of improvement to make to get back to top level baseball.

Kuehner had 1.74 ERA in 4 outings coming into this game. pretty unfair to say he’s a Sunday guy at best IMO
Come on now, the competition was awful. I'm going by his stuff and his demeanor on the mound. He may become a #1 but not now. Both Poland and Phillips fill the friday starter better. Of course this is just my opinion.

Michigan is awful competition?
That was the only opponent worthy of mentioning. He's the Friday starter because he was the only starter ready when the season started. Poland and Phillips were still in question coming off injuries. The weekend rotation is still in flux and in my opinion, Kuehner will not retain the #1 starter much longer.

I may end up being wrong but so far both Poland and Phillips have better stuff.

That was the only opponent worthy of mentioning. He's the Friday starter because he was the only starter ready when the season started. Poland and Phillips were still in question coming off injuries. The weekend rotation is still in flux and in my opinion, Kuehner will not retain the #1 starter much longer.

I may end up being wrong but so far both Poland and Phillips have better stuff.
Charlotte is decent as well but he didn’t exactly light the world on fire against them. I would agree that Phillips is probably better. Poland I wonder if they use him out of the pen more or if they keep starting him. They need more stability in their middle relief but his start against TCU was really promising. Kuehner was solid last year and other than today he’s looked pretty good, I would say he’s definitely capable of playing above a Sunday guy but we will see as ACC play continues

I can’t disagree - to a point re: Tate. I think he, in a better world, is our Sat starter. But, he has been pretty consistent. Poland has had flashes as well as Phillips. I think CDM can count on Tata being consistent; he doesn’t have to be Detmers or McKay. Unless someone steps up and shows they can keep us in a game for 5-6 innings I just don’t see him losing that Friday slot.

Pitching is a problem but maybe that Covid messed with pitching more than hitting.

Average stuff with most of the staff. The biggest issue is locating their pitches. Hopefully that gets better as the season moves forward.

Hitting has been very good which is good because they need it.

Failure to find the strike zone for our pitching staff is most frustrating. In addition to the obvious self destructive nature of walking our opponents, getting behind the count increases the hitters chance of getting a predictable and favorable ball to hit. Scoring 16 runs is a great way to overcome that flaw.

Reactions: rh62531
Kuehner definitely didn't have his best stuff. He relies on hitting spots and getting the curve in the zone. He was struggling with both. We could see some guys moving around on the weekend. Really though,what's it matter if you can give the good start on Friday or Sunday? Just need him to be a better version of himself.
The bottom half of lineup might be the best in years. Hell,same can be said for the top.
After a costly miscue earlier in the game,Humphrey makes one nice play and one spectacular play when we really needed it.
Let's go get #2 today. Poland today?

Go Cards!

Kuehner definitely didn't have his best stuff. He relies on hitting spots and getting the curve in the zone. He was struggling with both. We could see some guys moving around on the weekend. Really though,what's it matter if you can give the good start on Friday or Sunday? Just need him to be a better version of himself.
The bottom half of lineup might be the best in years. Hell,same can be said for the top.
After a costly miscue earlier in the game,Humphrey makes one nice play and one spectacular play when we really needed it.

Go Cards!
Well, normally the Friday, Saturday and Sunday rotation is based on a teams top 3 pitchers. The #1 guy usually faces the other teams #1 guy on Friday. Wouldn't you rather have your best starter facing the other teams best or does it not matter?

Right now, McDonnell doesn't know yet who is top 3 starters are, but hopefully he will have that figured out sooner than later.

Well, normally the Friday, Saturday and Sunday rotation is based on a teams top 3 pitchers. The #1 guy usually faces the other teams #1 guy on Friday. Wouldn't you rather have your best starter facing the other teams best or does it not matter?

Right now, McDonnell doesn't know yet who is top 3 starters are, but hopefully he will have that figured out sooner than later.
That's just one way to look at it,yeah and maybe Williams considers Kuehner,at this point to be that guy. He absolutely wasn't yesterday but he's shown better. My feeling is that Poland probably would have been the Friday guy except for a few hiccups and I consider him the best starter right now.

Like I said it could change.

Go Cards!
Yes Poland on the bump

Reactions: earsky
TV coverage again without any sounds from the field. Just two guys in a room calling the game. It's so lame not hearing the bat hit the ball or the crowd. It's better than radio I guess. It's just hard to stay in tune with the game in such a muted way.

Perspective. Baseball purists love a pitcher’s duel. Personally I’d rather see us with multiple runs; but, it has been a solid game from a pitching and defensive viewpoint.

Simple ground ball to SS. Poor throw and Ben probably could have saved the play. Tight games like this you can’t let your pitcher down like that.

Another throwing error by Knapp. The guy is just not a shortstop and the sooner McDonnell accepts this, the better the team will be. He just doesn't have the arm for the position.

Move him to 2nd base or DH him. Put Smith at SS and bench Bianco who's back to his non hitting self. I just have never seen a weaker arm at SS at this level. The kid can hit but he's not a shortstop.

I thought Knap had been looking better. That throw…geez, was just weak. New ND pitcher; runners on 1st and 3d with 1 out
Poland is probably done; he was Outstanding today. Let’s hole the pen can be on point.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT