ADVERTISEMENT

Notre Dame was pretty impressive

ACCCard

800+
Nov 23, 2012
UL played pretty well, but ND played great. They were just better tonight. I wouldn't get too worked up over the 5th loss to a top 15 team. 3 of which were number ONE seeds. Needed to win some of those, but don't give up yet. 2012. 2014 UK and UConn. 3 teams that were arguably worse or similar. Hang in there. We still have a shot to make some noise.

Originally posted by ACCCard:
UL played pretty well, but ND played great. They were just better tonight. I wouldn't get too worked up over the 5th loss to a top 15 team. 3 of which were number ONE seeds. Needed to win some of those, but don't give up yet. 2012. 2014 UK and UConn. 3 teams that were arguably worse or similar. Hang in there. We still have a shot to make some noise.
I can see the 2014 comparisons with UCONN and UK, not sure I agree, but I can see it. However, this team is no where near the 2012 UK team. That team dominated the entire year (Top 3 all year; only 2 close losses) and had a TON of weapons. As a matter of fact, I'd take the 2012 UK team over this year's undefeated team.

UL can still pull it together, they could still go on a run... stranger things have happened... but I'm not hold my breath on that one. I've just not seen a lot of cohesion; it's been a very frustrating year. I'd be content if they make it to Sweet 16...

Originally posted by OneEarWonder:

I can see the 2014 comparisons with UCONN and UK, not sure I agree, but I can see it. However, this team is no where near the 2012 UK team. That team dominated the entire year (Top 3 all year; only 2 close losses) and had a TON of weapons. As a matter of fact, I'd take the 2012 UK team over this year's undefeated team.

UL can still pull it together, they could still go on a run... stranger things have happened... but I'm not hold my breath on that one. I've just not seen a lot of cohesion; it's been a very frustrating year. I'd be content if they make it to Sweet 16...
He was talking about UofL's 2012 final four team. Not UK. Not everything is about UK all the time on this board despite what you might want to believe.

This UofL team is in trouble and they were fully exposed last night against a team that isn't as good as their ranking. ND has a good team, but they're far from great. UofL has a team. Not good. Not real bad. Just a team. Average. We are who we are.

Originally posted by Cue Card:
Originally posted by OneEarWonder:

He was talking about UofL's 2012 final four team. Not UK. Not everything is about UK all the time on this board despite what you might want to believe.

This UofL team is in trouble and they were fully exposed last night against a team that isn't as good as their ranking. ND has a good team, but they're far from great. UofL has a team. Not good. Not real bad. Just a team. Average. We are who we are.
Easy there Cue, no need to project, not trying to make this about UK. The way the OP listed the numbers, I misread it as 2012, 2014 UK... my bad. Calling it like the 2012 Cards makes much more sense. Again, a team that got hot, had a good run, etc.

Right now, I would agree the Cards look average. I just don't think they have the weapons or flow to make a run.

ND is well-coached, and maximized everything they could get out of the roster they had. They typically do, which leads to nice regular season but little to no post season.

I wasn't overly impressed with anything they did. They knocked down a couple open 3s and most certainly won the all important FT shooting contest, but the majority of their points in the first half came off our mistakes offensively that were unforced. You know, guys trying to dribble between 3 defenders, that type of thing.

They are a sub-standard defensive team but our lack of cohesion offensively and lack of post game failed to exploit it.

At this point I might rather fall a bit in seeding and wind up a 6, playing a 3 seed like Maryland in the 2nd round. The 2012 comparison is apt but that team was the #1 defensive team in college basketball, whereas this team is maybe 6th or so. It also helped that year to get put in a junk bracket with the weakest 1 seed (Mich St.) and a 2 seed that turned out to be a fraud (Mizzou). It didn't shock me that Florida went quite a ways in that bottom part of the region.

As far as ND goes, 2nd round and done for them. The typical Brey team. There's no way I would pick a team with the 130th ranked defense in the nation to go very far.

Originally posted by Ipartiedwithhopgood:
ND is well-coached, and maximized everything they could get out of the roster they had. They typically do, which leads to nice regular season but little to no post season.

I wasn't overly impressed with anything they did. They knocked down a couple open 3s and most certainly won the all important FT shooting contest, but the majority of their points in the first half came off our mistakes offensively that were unforced. You know, guys trying to dribble between 3 defenders, that type of thing.

They are a sub-standard defensive team but our lack of cohesion offensively and lack of post game failed to exploit it.
Very true. The early part of the game....trying to match ND's scoring led to the Cards demise.....the lack of defense in that scenario set the trend of the game....it was only a matter of time that the Cards 'O' would not be able to keep up and one of the inevitable scoring droughts raised its ugly head....again.

It really wasn't anything that ND's defense did....it was more about how badly the Cards 'O' played and the turnovers (unforced or forced) that led to easy ND breakouts that doomed the good things the Cards were doing. Plus, ND shooting what (70%) in the first half and then making all those shots late in the 2nd half....that was a recipe for disaster.

UofL beat UofL as much as, if not more than, anything ND did. The Irish did shoot well (not a surprise) and the Cards made a 2nd team, 6'5" low post player look like an All American. Too much for this severely flawed team to overcome. BL: ND is a better team than the Cards right now. It is sad that this team has to learn "on the job" at this time of the year...but it is what it is.

They need our support now more than ever.....time is running out. Likely to be a short ACC and NCAA-T stay this year unless the light bulb goes off very quickly for this bunch. A true test of fan hood this year.

I wouldn't underestimate ND's guards' ability to disrupt and push out the initial stages of our offense.They have a nice team.They remind me a bit of Georgia,but with better players.Not puttin Georgia down.I was impressed with all but one of their players who took it upon himself to decimate what was an outstanding effort by the rest.

I think that ND could be a dangerous team because of their discipline and ability to shoot the ball.

Originally posted by baseonballs:
I think that ND could be a dangerous team because of their discipline and ability to shoot the ball.
Anyone could be dangerous but this Notre Dame team won't be IMO. They are well coached on how to play offense but lack the defensive skills to stop a team that is also well coached on offensive sets but plays better defense.

The 2 teams that I feel are the most dangerous coming out of the ACC are Virginia who plays exceptional defense and is well coached, and Duke who is starting to click on all cylinders. The dark horse team from the ACC IMO will be North Carolina who is very talented, and possibly the Cards IF they can figure out how to be more consistent on offense.

Unlike many on here, I wasn't really all that impressed with Notre Dame. What I saw happen last night didn't convince me that the Irish have a great team. They are very good but not great.

JMO.

The Cardinals are just not a good team at the Yum Center. They were on fire at Florida State and came back at Georgia Tech.
Never happens at the Yum Center. Will the Cards play the first round of the NCAA at the Yum? If so, we're in trouble. On other floors we're just better.

ND seems to be the same team they always are under Brey - play well in the regular season with their 3 point shooting and free throws and then fizz out in the NCAA Tourney.

I wont buy any of what ND has until they actually make at least a Sweet 16.

The discipline comment is accurate. They don't take the bad shots that we do. Almost nobody does. Our guys are not smart basketball players from what I have seen. Letting guys get behind them on the press for layups was very discouraging. The media and coaches were pretty impressed with ND. They shot nearly 70% in the first half. They were 14-15 on FT's at one point. What they have done in past tournaments is not relevant this year unless you believe the coach is weak.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT