ADVERTISEMENT

North Carolina

Top 6, cold day…i would think guys in the pen should already be stretching. Am I wrong? Now Garrett is trying to quickly get loose so he can hopefully bail out Poland.

Well…that worked out (for once). Extremely happy for Poland this season; he has been the shining star (along with Prosecky).

Reactions: earsky
Why is it so hard for these guys to throw strikes? I just don't get it. You're a pitcher and you're not going to be successful if you can't get the ball at least close to the strike zone. Yet, they come into the game and can't find the zone.

I am so puzzled when batters act shocked when a strike is called for a pitch right below the letters. That is a strike.

We just don't have a good bullpen. It is what it is and I think I've finally accepted it. Really we only have 3 or 4 Louisville standard pitchers on the entire roster. If we don't score 8 plus runs a game we're going nowhere in the post season.

Reactions: Bardman
Because most umps don't call the high strike.
Oh, totally agree. Most do not call the correct strike…for whatever reason. Guess it would benefit pitchers and promote fewer runs being scored.

We just don't have a good bullpen. It is what it is and I think I've finally accepted it. Really we only have 3 or 4 Louisville standard pitchers on the entire roster. If we don't score 8 plus runs a game we're going nowhere in the post season.
Again - totally agree. Must be able to throw strikes. Our pen is sooooo inconsistent.

At least it's exciting... :)

But is it me, or does Coach look like he's aged about ten years the last 1 or 2?

Reactions: earsky
I really dislike the pitches being called from the dugout. Always have. Hawks was throwing his fastball past that UNC left handed batter and gets two strikes and a breaking pitch is called and it speeds up the hitters bat and there's a 3 run home run. Hawks might have chosen the fastball if it was up to him?

Are you freaking kidding me? That’s why i have always said - use two hands. Sure I can catch those balls one-handed BUT why take the chance.

Reactions: rh62531
How do you not bunt there? He plays small ball 99% and for some unknown reason decides not to.

Score 17 runs and good chance on losing both. They have 2 good pitchers that is it. Everyone else is not good

UNC just showed how it's done with the sacrifice bunt. McDonnell has no legitimate excuse for not bunting in the 9th inning after the lead-off batter got on first base. Even if Bianco is not a good bunter, pinch hit for him. It makes no sense just like it makes no sense Humphrey dropping that fly ball.

Reactions: rh62531 and Bardman
It doesn’t always work but he has almost always bunted in that situation. I like their chances with Knap and Masterman with a guy in scoring position.

I would prefer some low to mid 80 velocity with control of the strike zone, over those throwing in the 90s who simply cannot consistently find the zone. Some of the walks are to our opponents hitting low to mid 200.

Isaac‘s error was a freak; it just came at the worst possible time. That fly ball was awfully high and the wind out there was tricky. No one felt worse than Humphries, but it was encouraging to see the dugout surround him and showing support.

I totally agree about “two hands are better than one”, but they are all doing it.

Thanks, Ben! I was feeling poorly after the dropped fly ball, thinking we are headed for repeat of last season. Isaac has been pretty good in right field (6'2, runs good, strong arm) and good at the plate, he'll bounce back. Coach in postgame said he thought he was one of best right fielders in college.

Our middle relief is an issue, they just don't seem to come in ready to throw strikes. We have some decent guys available today (Walter, Webster) in the pen but no Prosecky, who has been brilliant. Pressure on Phillips to give us a good 6 innings today.

Fly balls can be tricky especially in windy conditions. Squeeze it.

The problem is all the arms are young. In HS they could just over power hitters even at 88-90mph. Location wasn’t important either. Now everyone can turn around a fastball. Hitters don’t miss mistakes. That is the bullpen. Can’t locate fastball or off speed stuff end result they get hit hard.

I think pitching was impacted by Covid more than hitting. It is an offensive game. Dudes are strong.

Do you move Prosecky to a weekend starter? The last 2 Friday night starts have been atrocious.

Reactions: BPGhost and cocoa
I get what your saying Cycle. But move Prosecky, and you lose your best closer. Time to move the Tuesday starter to Friday. Give him a chance. Kuenner moved the Tuesday slot, or Middle relieve. Still a lot of time to figure the Pitching out, before the Post Season. Work to do today, gotta win the series, by hook or crook!

Time to move the Tuesday starter to Friday. Give him a chance. Kuenner moved the Tuesday slot, or Middle relieve.
That's the problem I see. Who's the Tuesday guy? Nobody has pushed their way into the weekend rotation by shining on Tuesday.
The bullpen had been showing steady progress up till yesterday.
I'm really expecting CM to stay the course. Whether or not it works,we'll see.
I really have my fingers crossed that Kuehner's breaking ball issues will improve once the weather warms up.

Fly balls can be tricky especially in windy conditions. Squeeze it.

The problem is all the arms are young. In HS they could just over power hitters even at 88-90mph. Location wasn’t important either. Now everyone can turn around a fastball. Hitters don’t miss mistakes. That is the bullpen. Can’t locate fastball or off speed stuff end result they get hit hard.

I think pitching was impacted by Covid more than hitting. It is an offensive game. Dudes are strong.

Do you move Prosecky to a weekend starter? The last 2 Friday night starts have been atrocious. Can’t lose every Friday
That's the problem I see. Who's the Tuesday guy? Nobody has pushed their way into the weekend rotation by shining on Tuesday.
The bullpen had been showing steady progress up till yesterday.
I'm really expecting CM to stay the course. Whether or not it works,we'll see.
I really have my fingers crossed that Kuehner's breaking ball issues will improve once the weather warms up.
It could be a weather issue. One thing we do know he is not a cold weather pitcher.

Closers in college baseball is not as prevalent as in the MLB. A real dominant closer pitches just one inning, maybe two. In college it's more about match-ups in the 9th inning.

Louisville has a very good closer in Prosecky but he has be asked to pitch 3 innings and he's shown he can do it successfully. He threw I believe over 60 pitches yesterday.

I believe if he has the endurance he should be considered a starter. Remember Michael Kirian? He made the switch.

Right now McDonnell only has two consistent starters and he needs to find that third one.

Man,what a beautiful day for some Cardinal Baseball.
Let's go Boys!!

Bad defense once again and UNC is teeing off on Phillips. Cards are going to have to score a bunch to win this one.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT