ADVERTISEMENT

Nolan Smith Looking To Leave?

Regardless of what happens in the off season, Payne gets this season to prove himself. My stance on that hasn't changed. If he wins big more power to him. If he tanks again I want him out.

This Flowers and now Nolan stuff isn't a great look so far but it doesn't change my original stance. Payne gets this season to succeed or fail.

Regardless of what happens in the off season, Payne gets this season to prove himself. My stance on that hasn't changed. If he wins big more power to him. If he tanks again I want him out.

This Flowers and now Nolan stuff isn't a great look so far but it doesn't change my original stance. Payne gets this season to succeed or fail.

Yep, it’s all about results. That being said losing your top recruit and potentially your top assistant one week into the semester is brutal and speaks to the precarious position UofL bball is in under Payne. What reputable and hungry assistant would want to step into the program right now. You are left with Danny Manning who has already made his money and seems to have little pulse and Jameson who’s number one asset seems to be that he was well connected at Nike and Milt Wagner who couldn’t even get his own grandson to visit the school. UGH!

Do you think Wes Unseld Jr being the HC for their NBA and the Louisville connection has anything to do with it ?

Reactions: rh62531
They were projected 11th in the ACC with Flowers. They appear $crewed. Not wishing my life away but it's going to be interesting to see what happens when this year is over.

Reactions: OldhamCard335
Who thinks KP would survive a start like 2 and 8? It's not difficult to imagine less than 5 thousand people at the Yum center with a start like that.

People will be going crazy.

Who thinks KP would survive a start like 2 and 8? It's not difficult to imagine less than 5 thousand people at the Yum center with a start like that.

People will be going crazy.

I’m not sure if Heird gives a shit or not. Dropped my season tix after having them for years and years and have never heard a peep from UofL (which is fine cause I don’t need to talk but you’d think they’d want to retain longtime ticket holders. Oh well).

I have never been sold on this staff, i'm not trying to kick anybody while we're down but we have a 1st time unproven head coach and lets face it, Nolan was not sitting next to coach K on the bench he was at the other end and Danny Manning has been fired from every job he's ever had and honestly the more i type the worse i feel about our situation lol

I think it's obvious Smith is on the fast track to be a college head coach and has concluded that staying at Louisville wasn't helping him with that. He needed a couple of successful years before bolting for a head job in the OVC or Sun Belt conference. Don't think he sees those successful years sitting beside Kenny Payne.

Heird can’t go for the feel good story any longer. I will admit myself the story put out there about Payne waiting his chance and being around so many great teams before returning to his alma mater to coach for the first time got to me. Was so excited. But I did not look at the facts behind it. He had never led his own full team. There was always a chance of failure.

Heird can’t go for the feel good story any longer. I will admit myself the story put out there about Payne waiting his chance and being around so many great teams before returning to his alma mater to coach for the first time got to me. Was so excited. But I did not look at the facts behind it. He had never led his own full team. There was always a chance of failure.
You could argue the Brohm hire is a feel good story as well, but at least he has a track record and stuff to show for why he was hired

I really don’t blame him for wanting to get out of the college game but dude make that call over after the season not in freaking September. Again if true tell him to pack up and leave.
Maybe he changed his mind when Flowers bolted? Maybe back in June he had confidence things were looking up with the team? Now he sees that was a pipe dream and it looking to abandon ship?

Would you not get into a lifeboat when the Titanic was only minutes from sinking or would you stay on board because a few hours earlier you didn't believe the ship would sink?

I think any confidence fans may have had for this upcoming season have been shattered and Nolan Smith apparently doesn't no longer want to deal with it.

We have no idea what's going on and with Twitter you get that increase in info but is it good? Or, maybe info is good but then things change, like with Mgbako.

For all we know, Kenny could have encouraged his staff to keep their options open. These guys clearly do not follow norms for how the PR part of the job is done that fans had grown accustomed to.

Things don't look too good these days for anything in the program!

I believe he always looked at UofL as a stepping stone but when the stones started to sink and continued he jumped ship early

KP was known as a relationship builder. A top recruit and a top assistant potentially bailing one week into the semester is terrible when coupled with the horrid season last year. I don’t begrudge someone trying to better themselves but both of these moves are at best nominally better. I’d hope the relationships are built stronger than this.

As usual jumping the gun without a clue as to the situation. Some of you have know clue as to Nolans background with Washington ,Baltimore i'm pretty sure.

• Haha
Reactions: Cardiac Red
As usual jumping the gun without a clue as to the situation. Some of you have know clue as to Nolans background with Washington ,Baltimore i'm pretty sure.

I’m sure his ties to the Capitol City Go-Go’s are strong but I also was under the impression his ties and connections to KP and Louisville were strong. If you have “a clue as to the situation” feel free to enlighten us.

Jumping the gun? That is a normal thing with fans, especially when there's not much data to explain why coaches and players do things.

Reactions: rh62531
I don’t see how a semi pro league would hire a Head Coach who has no experience at all. The league must be pretty bush league to do that.

Was told this landing spot for Nolan is basically home. A fair amount of people behind the scenes are not big fans of KP.

Also heard Flowers was a basket case. Hardly practiced and took a fair amount of the collective NIL money. KP was not the reason he bounced.

I really don’t blame him for wanting to get out of the college game but dude make that call over after the season not in freaking September. Again if true tell him to pack up and leave.
I agree with this. I'd tell him he was done here whether he got the new job or not.. We're not some low tier D2 team (yet) that has to deal with that kind of disrespect.

Reactions: OldhamCard335
We are probably blowing this out of proportion. If an NBA affiliate calls he almost has to take the interview never know if/when he gets another. It could be a networking type of meeting anyway, we really don't know.

He's a young guy trying to figure out his career.

Fans have been through so much it's really hard to process it all.

AS toxic as this fanbase is what you expect .
Sure…the fan base is the cause. The fan base didn’t have enough talent last year. The fan base didn’t respond to this staff’s coaching. The fan base did a poor job of getting new talent during the offseason. The fan base had too many turnovers. The fan base miss too many free throws. And, of course, the fan base had a bad game plan last year. Damn us fans!!

KP was known as a relationship builder. A top recruit and a top assistant potentially bailing one week into the semester is terrible when coupled with the horrid season last year. I don’t begrudge someone trying to better themselves but both of these moves are at best nominally better. I’d hope the relationships are built stronger than this.
Yep! KP seems to be having problems with relationships. If this was his strength, as often reported, then it sure isn’t apparent in this situation. So far, he seems to be having trouble gaining buy-in from both players and assistants. And, if his communication skill with staff and players is similar to his communication skills with the fans…well…need I say more. KP, when you act like everything within the program is top secret, don’t be surprised when people question your credibility and prefer to insert their own narrative rather than rely on you for information. Not, in my opinion, the way to run a program.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT