ADVERTISEMENT

Next season

It's never too early to talk about next season.
wink.r191677.gif

Snider will start at the point. I think that is a given. This is our thinnest position IMO.
2 guard spot is open - Gill will get first crack at it but Donovan Mitchell will push him for the starting spot.
Center will be Mathiang or Onuaku. Anas will be in the discussion too.
SF should be Aaron, but it all depends on if he stays and fights for a spot or quits and transfers. Adel will push him.
Jaylen Johnson will be the starting power forward IMO. Spalding will push him for playing time too.

There are several different rotations possible out of those players named. Mitchell could play point. Mathiang might move to the PF spot. Johnson might be able to play the 3.

I think we'll be good with a chance to be really good if the incoming class can step in and contribute at a high level.

If Harrell and Rozier leave, next year could be a disaster. Other than Snider there isn't much there. I think many of the subs peaked before they got out oh high school. How the game is played today there's no time to train and develop players. They have to come ready to play.

Originally posted by silver52:
If Harrell and Rozier leave, next year could be a disaster. Other than Snider there isn't much there. I think many of the subs peaked before they got out oh high school. How the game is played today there's no time to train and develop players. They have to come ready to play.
From what I've been able to read, Mitchell and Adel are ready to play college ball today. I don't get the same vibe from reading about Spalding, but then again his position is fairly deep for this team. He doesn't really need to be ready from day 1.

The kids coming back will obviously have to improve for the Cards to be competitive in the ACC. I won't give up on them just yet.

PG - Snider (So)
SG - Mitchell (Fr), Gill (Jr)
SF - Adel (Fr), Aaron (So)
PF - Johnson (So), Spalding (Fr)
C - Mahmoud (So), Onuaku (So), Mathiang (Jr)

PG and C seem like our only known quantites for next year. I expect Mahmoud to be the best of the bunch if he's able to put on 20-30 pounds in the offseasson - seems like he could also play some PF with his ability from the high post. Without MAJOR improvements from Gill and Aaron, we could be relying heavily on the incoming freshmen. I could even see Johnson moving up to play SF. He has a decent stroke, and can put the ball on the deck in short spurts. Our big man depth far outweighs the back court.

A rotation to get our best players on the floor next year ... Snider, Mitchell, Johnson, Mahmoud, Onuaku

There's a large group of young men that need to stay on campus this summer and work their tails off. I know these young men have seen what can happen from hard work ethics. Beef up, shoot hundred of thousands of shots from FT line, work on that crazy Pitino defense scheme. We start the journey again. Go Cards!

In the face of silver's fear-mongering, I'm optimistic too...

Based on what appears to be next year's roster, I think Mahmoud will be groomed for the four position. He still needs to add weight, but he has enough foot speed and skills to play outside the post. Pitino will adopt a "twin towers" look, with Mangok and Onuaku sharing the post again. If/when one of those guys emerges as a real presence, that guy will get the majority of the minutes at the "5".

Q needs to work big time on his defense. His offense is fine for the point. The "2" and "3" spots are wide open with about a half dozen guys in that competition. Unless Q plays 40 minutes a game, someone needs to back him up at the point. Does Mitchell have those skills?

Pitino will be working hard in the off season on defense once again. Before that causes too many groans, think about the length that next year's team will have. You'll have two seven-footers (or nearly so) on the baseline with someone like Aaron or Adel at the "3". Should allow a lot of pressure defense on the perimeter. And on offense, picture Mahmoud at the top of the key, well into the shot clock, looking down low or for an open shooter on the wing or to step up for a FT line jumper, a la David Padgett.

Defensively, all of these guys need to work on staying in front of their man. And they need to work big time in the weight room and with their nutritionist.

Again, I think it may be surprising how good this team could be. And they're on no one's radar at the moment...

The team will take some lumps for sure next season. Snider will be solid at PG but so much depends on the returning players and the new guys coming in.

Hopefully Gill and Aaron improve a lot. Johnson has shown some positive flashes here and there. He can shoot a jumper, make put backs, rebound, block some shots, and make moves to the basket. Of course whether he can do these things consistently we won't be sure until next season.

Mangok just needs to work on his hands and getting stronger. Mahmoud of course needs to gain weight and strength. Onuaku needs to maybe get in better shape or learn to hustle more.

Maybe he's being overlooked or maybe people think he's over-rated but from watch video of the kid, I think McMahon is going to be very, very good. And maybe next year.

I know he's small (but he looks like he is a very good ball-handler who can fake his defender out and get his shot away and also drive).

Maybe it's just the competition, but I'm very interested in seeing him get a chance at this level.

Anyone know who is playing in the Derby Festival? Any of our recruits? Is the Derby Festival Hoops game still a thing?

Nevermind the question. I got my answer! http://discover.kdf.org/basketball-classic/
This post was edited on 3/30 2:06 PM by tn00nan

My only opinion about you guys next year is...you will once again be a huge pain in our rump around ACC Tourney time. Can't wait to see if I'm right. :)

See you guys on the Football Board before then...until that Board picks up a bit, have fun and be well.

Originally posted by zipp:
In the face of silver's fear-mongering, I'm optimistic too...

Based on what appears to be next year's roster, I think Mahmoud will be groomed for the four position. He still needs to add weight, but he has enough foot speed and skills to play outside the post. Pitino will adopt a "twin towers" look, with Mangok and Onuaku sharing the post again. If/when one of those guys emerges as a real presence, that guy will get the majority of the minutes at the "5".

Q needs to work big time on his defense. His offense is fine for the point. The "2" and "3" spots are wide open with about a half dozen guys in that competition. Unless Q plays 40 minutes a game, someone needs to back him up at the point. Does Mitchell have those skills?

Pitino will be working hard in the off season on defense once again. Before that causes too many groans, think about the length that next year's team will have. You'll have two seven-footers (or nearly so) on the baseline with someone like Aaron or Adel at the "3". Should allow a lot of pressure defense on the perimeter. And on offense, picture Mahmoud at the top of the key, well into the shot clock, looking down low or for an open shooter on the wing or to step up for a FT line jumper, a la David Padgett.

Defensively, all of these guys need to work on staying in front of their man. And they need to work big time in the weight room and with their nutritionist.

Again, I think it may be surprising how good this team could be. And they're on no one's radar at the moment...
Exactly
laugh.r191677.gif

Rick's players have consistently shown improvement as they progress in the program. He hasn't forgotten how to teach or coach. We will be fine next year.

Originally posted by Money cardinal:
Sorry guys but Gill will not get first crack or be the backup at shooting guard next season.
This is true. However, I think we're going to have a couple real good replacements for him. Possibly Trey Lewis, Maverick Rowan or Mulder. Honestly, Lewis brings some experience - We're going to be real young next year and no upperclassmen I can think of other than Mathiang.

I think you could be right about McMahon. We've had the luxury of multiple guards with very good handles (Siva, Smith, Rozier and further back) for several years. I'm not sure we'll have that next year. Q is pretty good with the ball but he can't play 40 minutes. Some think Mitchell can play the point but in all the video I've seen of him, he doesn't play much with the ball in his hands. Maybe he's capable but it is yet to be known. What little I've seen of McMahon is encouraging in terms of taking care of and distributing the ball, Lesser competition, I know, but he looks comfortable and confident with the ball in his hands. And, he'd be another piece of a full-court, full-time press.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT