coachsales

One-Star Poster
Gold Member
Jan 5, 2005
Louisville, Kentucky
www.tssphotography.com
From - Eric Crawford

Jayda Curry, All-Pac 12 guard from Cal, says she'll transfer to Louisville
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- Coming off a sixth straight trip to the Elite Eight with some heavy graduation losses, Louisville women’s basketball coach Jeff Walz knew he was going to have to have a successful offseason in the transfer portal.

His first addition is a strong one. Jayda Curry, a 5-foot-6-inch sophomore from Cal who was the Pac-12 freshman of the year in 2022 and a first-team All-Pac-12 selection by league media this past season told the Bally Sports Network on Monday that she’ll continue her college career with the Cardinals.

ESPN ranked her the No. 4 available player in the transfer portal in a listing last week. Curry is the second Cal player to join Louisville's program in recent years, joining Kianna Smith, who helped lead Louisville to a Final Four in 2022 and was a second-round WNBA Draft pick last year.

"I took my visit and enjoyed everything about it," Curry told Brandon "Scoop B" Robinson on the Bally Sports Network. "The coaching staff, the girls. Just the program’s history and their proven success. I’m just excited to be on that big stage. They just made the Elite Eight this year and have been there consecutively for a couple of years. And just trying to be that person who can come in and help and impact them and take them a little farther, back to the Final Four again and hopefully win a national championship."

Curry averaged 15.5 points per game last season, which led Cal and ranked fifth in the Pac 12. She shot 33.3% from three-point range. As a freshman, Curry averaged 18.6 points and 1.4 steals per game.

She was California’s Miss Basketball after graduating from Centennial High School in Corona, Calif.

"I’m super excited to start my journey there and get the work in and get it done," Curry said.

Saw this on the recruiting board first. Great pickup. I think this is checking the PG bix more so than the scorer box. She can obviously score; but, she had to at Cal. Here she can be more PG and scoring doesn’t have to be her focus.

Most importantly, she has two years… it’s apparently difficult to absorb our culture in one. Nice pick up!

Reactions: Cardsfan62
#4 player in the Transfer portal. She is legit. Led Pac-10 in scoring...
Assists need to come up and shooting percentages are down, but she is a better PG, along the lines of a Evans or CHelsea... and not a glorified shooter... She looks for openinings with and for her team mates... and is opportunistic. Watch the video on her.... she is the real deal...

Great pickup.. We are going to need her - Liz Keitly announced today she' coming for VA Tech.

Here's what Charlie Creme said about Jayda Curry in the ESPN article: "Curry has the potential to be a game changing scorer for a program looking to take another step or the missing playmaker for a national title contender." Well, we fit that bill, don't we ? :D

Reactions: KozmasAgain
The thing that I like the most is that she is coming because she wants to be a part of an ELITE program. Who we are and what we have done STANDS FOR SOMETHING...regardless of NIL. We need an ELITE big... not a talented one... an ELITE 1... In fact.. we need at least 1 ELITE Big (not a Liz) and a TALENTED Big (not a Josie Williams).. and a Talented or ELITE tweener who can handle the ball and rebound out of the 3-spot (not Jones). I know some folks won't want to hear that....

From - Eric Crawford

Jayda Curry, All-Pac 12 guard from Cal, says she'll transfer to Louisville
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- Coming off a sixth straight trip to the Elite Eight with some heavy graduation losses, Louisville women’s basketball coach Jeff Walz knew he was going to have to have a successful offseason in the transfer portal.

His first addition is a strong one. Jayda Curry, a 5-foot-6-inch sophomore from Cal who was the Pac-12 freshman of the year in 2022 and a first-team All-Pac-12 selection by league media this past season told the Bally Sports Network on Monday that she’ll continue her college career with the Cardinals.

ESPN ranked her the No. 4 available player in the transfer portal in a listing last week. Curry is the second Cal player to join Louisville's program in recent years, joining Kianna Smith, who helped lead Louisville to a Final Four in 2022 and was a second-round WNBA Draft pick last year.

"I took my visit and enjoyed everything about it," Curry told Brandon "Scoop B" Robinson on the Bally Sports Network. "The coaching staff, the girls. Just the program’s history and their proven success. I’m just excited to be on that big stage. They just made the Elite Eight this year and have been there consecutively for a couple of years. And just trying to be that person who can come in and help and impact them and take them a little farther, back to the Final Four again and hopefully win a national championship."

Curry averaged 15.5 points per game last season, which led Cal and ranked fifth in the Pac 12. She shot 33.3% from three-point range. As a freshman, Curry averaged 18.6 points and 1.4 steals per game.

She was California’s Miss Basketball after graduating from Centennial High School in Corona, Calif.

"I’m super excited to start my journey there and get the work in and get it done," Curry said.
And she started every game she played in for Cal and she led the PAC 10 in scoring her FRESHMAN year. She has a very smooth step back shot from the arc.

The thing that I like the most is that she is coming because she wants to be a part of an ELITE program. Who we are and what we have done STANDS FOR SOMETHING...regardless of NIL. We need an ELITE big... not a talented one... an ELITE 1... In fact.. we need at least 1 ELITE Big (not a Liz) and a TALENTED Big (not a Josie Williams).. and a Talented or ELITE tweener who can handle the ball and rebound out of the 3-spot (not Jones). I know some folks won't want to hear that....
I'm with you and you can shout it from the mountain top ! 😜 And don’t forget a defensive bulldog.

Great pickup.. We are going to need her - Liz Keitly announced today she' coming for VA Tech.
I think some words are missing. Are you saying she is returning to Va Tech? Why would she do that? She has to be a top 10 pick?

She probably makes more money from an NIL deal than what she would make as a pro her first year in the WNBA.

Love the pickup but hoping he can add some height at the guard position 5-6 is small. But she was successful in the PAC-12 so she’s good.

Love the pickup but hoping he can add some height at the guard position 5-6 is small. But she was successful in the PAC-12 so she’s good.
An inch shorter than HVL; however, her primary position should be PG. We still won’t be a small on the floor as we were with HVL, CC and Kasa.

My concern is guarding the taller PGs in the ACC, SEC and BIG. Carr was a constant liability in those matchups
Of course, the UofL roster at gocards.com lists Chrislyn Carr as 5-5, so hopefully Jayda is legitimately 5-6.

My concern is guarding the taller PGs in the ACC, SEC and BIG. Carr was a constant liability in those matchups
My concern was starting the game with 3 short guards... HVL at 5'7", Carr at 5'4", and Kasa at 5'6". Yes... we would make up ground with some speed... but we still got exposed a lot...

Reactions: rh62531
Just read that Imani Lester is entering the portal. WTH? No recruits this year and 3 gone 3/4 gone from last year’s class. Little worrisome.
You think losing Purcell to Ms St was a considerable blow to Jeff’s staff.

More than likely it appears that way Mississippi State has 3 recruits coming in next year. A 5’9” guard, 5’10” guard and a 6’6” center. I would hope our reputation as a good tournament team and CJW’s success in the tournament is still attractive for recruits. It seems there is going to be an endless pool of talent in the transfer portal. If that is the direction we have to go I am fine with it. Other big name schools are making big waves with it in all sports.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT