ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA suspends Jim Boeheim for nine games, cuts Syracuse Orange scholarships

Wow, the penalties are pretty harsh here.

Cutting 3 scholarships per year for 4 years is going to make it tough on them to compete.

Also rare to see a coach suspended. Wonder if Boeheim will just retire.

This is the kind of stuff they should be doing all the time. Vacating wins is a non penalty - it does nothing to punish the forward progress of a program. I did notice they conveniently left 02-03 unscathed though. I doubt that's a coincidence.
This post was edited on 3/6 12:33 PM by KRJ1975

Originally posted by jalovell23:
Shame on you SyracuseNo problem reporting the news. Just make 100% sure your own house is in order before pointing a finger...

Amazing how long the cheating went on, and how long it took them to come up with findings.

Maybe this is why nothing has happened to UK - yet. Who knows what might be going on behind the scenes.

We all know what is happening in Lexington, but the question is if the NCAA will have enough nerve to go after their prime NBAD league team.

None of the articles I've seen on this seem to have the total number of wins vacated. I wonder if Louisville just moved into the top ten on the all-time wins list because of this?

Yeah briggs, I thought the same thing. But, Syracuse isn't chopped liver. They are definitely a top 10 all time program, and Boeheim is very well respected in the coaching world - asst to K on team USA, etc.

They came down hard. You gotta wonder what will happen to UK if some of the things we speculate on are ever found out

Well, Jay Bilas doesn't seem to think this is all that severe. Like me, he considers vacating wins basically not a penalty at all, but he also doesn't see the scholarship reduction as that bad either. He said "Syracuse is still going to be able to recruit and sign great players, they'll just pull the scholarships from the kids at the end of the bench."

Basically Bilas said the only thing of any real meaning is the 9 game suspension of Boeheim. Not sure I agree with him, but he's probably smarter than me when it comes to this kind of stuff.

Does vacated wins count as wins for Syracuse's opponents? I'm not clear on that. I remember reading that had Memphis won the title under Cal, the later vacated win would not have went to Kansas. There just would have been no champion that year. Is this correct?

Do the Cards have wins now in both hoops and football that they didn't have before?

No, they are stricken from the record basically. The wins are vacated, but they keep the losses. The teams they beat in the vacated wins don't pick up a win.

Also, I don't believe the NCAA would have vacated that Memphis season had Memphis won. Look at this report on Cuse - it supposedly started in 2001, but somehow not one ineligible guy played on the 02-03 team? Come on.

The cut in scholarships will make it hard for them to compete in a league like the ACC. Also, it will make deep tourney runs very challenging.

I think the taking away of wins is not major for the university, but rather for Boehiem. It basically knocked him out of the running to join the few coaches with 1k+ wins.

Yet North Carolina (so far), and Duke (Corry Magot) skate by with ZERO punishments...But it's only a matter of time before UK gets hammered!!!

I'd LOVE nothing more than to see the Heels, Devils and Cats loose wins and titles from the years of cheating and underhanded recruiting they've been doing for 10+ (that we know of) years!!!

Boeheim should resign or be fired. I find it very hard to believe that he was unaware of these issues. The only way this type of behavior stops is if the coach is directly held responsible.

Originally posted by jalovell23:

Shame on you Syracuse
This is just more lip service from the NCAA who really has no interest in regaining the integrity they let go of long ago. IF the NCAA was really interested in stopping the cheating, they would ban Boeheim from ever coaching in college again, AND they would kill the SU program for 4 years. THAT would get the attention of those who are out there bending and breaking the rules.

If those who are cheating feel the reward is worth the risk then go ahead and cheat. Roll the dice.

That's my take. This slap on the wrist isn't nearly as severe as it needs to be to stop the corruption.

This post was edited on 3/7 9:21 AM by Cue Card

Cue I don't think we will ever see another death penalty for a major school/sport. It took SMU basically 20 years to recover from the last one. Penn State looked the other way for years while Sandusky was abusing kids and they didn't get shut down. The UK stuff under Sutton, USC under Carroll, etc etc. Too much money at stake.

Jim got off lightly for their issues. If it wasn't for all of the good will he had from HOF and USA Basketball, he could have been sitting for half a season. Claiming ignorance of activities should no longer work for these coaches. It many cases in the past coaches simply walk away leaving a disaster. I think these long term problems should be handled like the death penelty. These coaches should be forced to pay severely for the damage they cause to the players, the programs and the universities. There is no question that coaches with the power they are given today they know exactly what is happening. They are given dailly reports on class activities from supervisors and tutors. They have weekly reports on academic progression of players. They are given great financial support and revered in their communities and should be made to pay for their avoidance of potential problems.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT