ADVERTISEMENT

NC State

And there it is. It's not a lack of talent. We don't need no stinking portal.😄
We need these upperclassmen to quit worrying about the draft and just play loose like the rookies.
I have a little different take. I don't think the upperclassmen are thinking about the draft as much as they are looking over their shoulders at the talented freshman, especially Humphries and Beard. They are pressing and the numbers are dropping. If they don't get drafted, do they come back knowing they will probably play even less. Its different now with the portal. FR used to wait their turn but now with the portal its easy enough to find somewhere to play right away.

Any baseball program as strong as UofL…for an incoming FR you pretty much gotta know your playing opportunities are going to less than optimal. However, if you just that good - you’ll play. Running away because you didn’t play much as FR is pretty lame.

Nice bounce back win today. Great pitching, brilliant fielding, and clutch hitting. If not for some amazing plays by the NC State centerfielder, it would have been over much earlier.

Reactions: earsky
I have a little different take. I don't think the upperclassmen are thinking about the draft as much as they are looking over their shoulders at the talented freshman, especially Humphries and Beard. They are pressing and the numbers are dropping. If they don't get drafted, do they come back knowing they will probably play even less. Its different now with the portal. FR used to wait their turn but now with the portal its easy enough to find somewhere to play right away.
Yeah I think they probably are related. One feeds the other..

Any baseball program as strong as UofL…for an incoming FR you pretty much gotta know your playing opportunities are going to less than optimal. However, if you just that good - you’ll play. Running away because you didn’t play much as FR is pretty lame.
I'm not saying the FR are running away, its the draft eligible juniors and seniors that are not highly rank that might considered the transfer portal if they know the FR will continue to get the playing time as sophomores.

I'm not saying the FR are running away, its the draft eligible juniors and seniors that are not highly rank that might considered the transfer portal if they know the FR will continue to get the playing time as sophomores.
I get that too. Thing is, if they don’t produce now they will sit. If they don’t produce now they will find it hard to find a landing spot for a transfer.

Knap was impressive today. Showed what he capable of.
Knap a shining example of the guy that got a "rest" and responded like I would expect him to. He's played pretty well since...
As far as this thing with the Juniors and younger guys, Mac is gonna play his veterans unless somebody really comes in and takes the argument away about it.
I just sense the tightness that comes with big boy baseball. Getting guys to figure it out and try to focus on winning a Championship ain't easy,but once we get that first one,it'll get a lot easier.

Aside from Jack Payton and Forbes, there were way too many “ofers“ in the Sunday lineup. Overall, this NCST series may be as disappointing as any we have had in a while. The way we lost Friday night in the bottom of the ninth might explain the Saturday performance, which I perceive as an indication this team lacks the toughness, pride and competitive attitude that we have come to expect from UL baseball.

I know it is still early, and I do not want to give up on this team, but these ACC performances thus far raise questions about our ability to compete at this level. ND, GT and NCST are no where close to the top of this conference.

Reactions: rh62531 and earsky
The weird thing is they had already shown that grit to play all 9 innings and be able to come back when needed. I think their confidence is shaken a bit right now. A few guys, and I have said this before, need to swing for contact and drive the ball. Too many BIG home-run swings trying to pull the ball and trying to knock the cover off the ball. Just swing into the pitch and get base hits - singles and doubles do nicely. Early on it looked like that was what many were doing… then things changed a bit.

Reactions: rh62531 and earsky
Yeah, we're absolutely better than the current form. Again, guys need to read their own scouting reports and tip the scales back to their advantage. Now is the time to adjust and overcome.

Reactions: cocoa
Well as the say in the song " Put me Coach " ... " New Grass on the Field". Baseball is a funny game win 70% of your games, and you are playing at very high level. Can turn around a Team in a few games. Those games coming up and later this week. Go Cards, get back to winning record this week in League play, and we will be back on track!

Conference teams have the advantage of knowing how Dan is aggressive with his hitting. Consequently, opposing teams try to offset that with their pitching and matchups.

Well as the say in the song " Put me Coach " ... " New Grass on the Field". Baseball is a funny game win 70% of your games, and you are playing at very high level. Can turn around a Team in a few games. Those games coming up and later this week. Go Cards, get back to winning record this week in League play, and we will be back on track!
Schedule doesn't get any easier. Both BC and WF are highly ranked teams and then throw a ranked UK team in the middle. We will quickly see what this team is made of. Go Cards!

Reactions: Bardman
I wish I shared everyone’s confidence in how good we are. My approach is generally to let results speak for themselves. The home team has won the three ACC series we have played in 2-1. That tells me we are about a .500 team in conference.

In the ACC, that may not be too bad if it continues. Probably good enough to play in the NCAA tourney. IMO you can’t say much more at this point…

I wish I shared everyone’s confidence in how good we are. My approach is generally to let results speak for themselves. The home team has won the three ACC series we have played in 2-1. That tells me we are about a .500 team in conference.

In the ACC, that may not be too bad if it continues. Probably good enough to play in the NCAA tourney. IMO you can’t say much more at this point…
I think the struggles actually started before league play did. I don't think they're as bad as they're playing now,but not as lofty as we all hoped. They could turn it around but there are a bunch of guys that have to get themselves untracked. Most have been successful already in ACC play.

Reactions: 2330859
The dominance in Houston got everyone believing this was going to be a vintage Cards team. I think it went to the head to some on the team and it usually happens without realizing it.

Hopefully, after losing back to back conference series, a more focused and determined Cards team will get back to winning?

Reactions: Bardman and rh62531
We also didn’t know how good those Texas teams were when we played them. We knew their pedigree and how good they were last year.

Too easy to jump the gun evaluating how good you are early in the season…

Reactions: nccardfan
We also didn’t know how good those Texas teams were when we played them. We knew their pedigree and how good they were last year.

Too easy to jump the gun evaluating how good you are early in the season…
Because we always load up on mostly northern teams just needing to play games, I normally try to wait until we get to ACC play before making an Omaha prediction. For me, it is always about the pitching, which is very suspect. Hawks is a two pitch guy, who tends to get rocked 3rd time through the lineup. Farone was a JUCO player of the year, but ACC demands another level of pitching. Liggett is doing well but I think if we switch him to Friday, which is typically your ace starting, he might not fare as well. Its really the bullpen that is suspect to me. Kuenhner probably is our best choice as closer but when you win all those early season games by several runs, your closer doesn't get into those high pressure games. These pitchers don't have to be perfect unless our offense is not clicking, which is happening now. If we can get the bats going, I see us in the field. Not sure about hosting though. Hopefully, Im wrong! Go Cards! Lets take 2 of 3 from BC. That's a start.

Reactions: the artist FKA zipp
There is no way to sugar-coat this decline in UL baseball performance; losing to Lipscomb last nite on top of the performances at ND and NCST reveal multiple weaknesses that I fear are not going away.

I do believe that hosting BC his weekend provides an excellent opportunity for this team to demonstrate that I am wrong, and I hope that is the case ….. but I suspect this will only serve as further evidence that we do not have a team capable of competing at or near the top of the ACC.

Reactions: rh62531
Taking the temperature about Kuehner returning to a starting role. I had a conversation with someone at the game last night about Bobby Miller's experiment as a closer and was wondering whether this situation with Tate was comparable.

Myself, I would like to see Tate return to that spot,shake things up. I don't think he's happy where he's at, just like Miller.

Jmo,thoughts?

I would agree. Yet, Tate was coming off an injury so maybe it made sense to work him out of the pen initially. Some of this has to come down to Roger and Dan. Roger calls the pitches - right? How many 2 strike hits have teams had against us? A LOT!! Yes, execution has to be there. But, the right calls have to be made too (just like football). Maybe Tate starts on Sat. Farone is moved to mid-week. Allows Grundy to pitch relief for 1-3 innings. Right now - we need to see better hitting - period. I’d still like to see Cook rotated in some at 1B. A little more of Anderson in some way. Maybe Mangrum in left or right to spell Humphry.

Reactions: earsky
Maybe Mangrum in left or right to spell Humphry.
I get why Mac is staying with Humphrey for now. He led the team in hitting against ACC last season. I think he'll get the benefit of the doubt for a couple more weeks 🤔

Reactions: Bardman
I really dislike pitches being called by the coach in college baseball. I know it's been going on for awhile but I just don't see how that improves a pitchers outlook.

The man on the mound knows what pitches he has more confidence in and there has to be a lot of pitchers who receive the pitch from the dugout who would rather throw something else.

It's a huge weakness in my opinion of college baseball.

A lot of our frustration IMO is based on optimism and expectations formed in the preseason and the first few weeks of the season against weak(er) competition, Lipscomb notwithstanding.

This team has issues because this team HAD issues.

I'm not sure much has changed except for the players' confidence. That's where McDonnell is always focused and probably for good reason...

Actually my optimism was more rooted in what was returning, and the incredibly talented incoming recruiting class. What is unmistakable is the disappointing performance by the upperclassmen. Humphrey serves as just one example; great defensive outfielder, but he was a far more effective hitter last year, but is really hurting this team at the plate.

I totally agree with Earsky in terms of this roster having plenty of time to turn this ship around, but I have a friend who knows CDM pretty well, and my sentiments are not far from where Coach Mac is right now. Disappointment!!!

• Love
Reactions: shutterbug
Taking the temperature about Kuehner returning to a starting role. I had a conversation with someone at the game last night about Bobby Miller's experiment as a closer and was wondering whether this situation with Tate was comparable.

Myself, I would like to see Tate return to that spot,shake things up. I don't think he's happy where he's at, just like Miller.

Jmo,thoughts?
I will play along. So lets say we do move Tate to a starter. Who is our closer? Who has the stuff and mentality? I don't believe you can do a bullpen by committee every game. Biven is a FR and hasn't exactly been lights out except for non conference teams.

I will play along. So lets say we do move Tate to a starter. Who is our closer? Who has the stuff and mentality? I don't believe you can do a bullpen by committee every game. Biven is a FR and hasn't exactly been lights out except for non conference teams.
I guess whichever guy gets moved out of the weekend rotation. Ok,I've got you as running cold on it. That's fine 🙂

I’d use Corbett, Forbes, Weigman and Galvan.
I'm sorry, no disrespect but are you just saying that because they are on the roster and they haven't had a chance?

Forbes - 3 innings total, 5 appearances, 5 strikeouts, 4 walks

Corbett - 8 innings total, 10 strikeouts, 8 walks

Galvan - 4 innings, ERA 8.31

Weigman - 4 innings ERA 17.36

What exactly strikes out (no pun intended) that says I'm a closer?

This group of guys ^^^ really need to step it up wherever it is they're pitching.

I'm sorry, no disrespect but are you just saying that because they are on the roster and they haven't had a chance?

Forbes - 3 innings total, 5 appearances, 5 strikeouts, 4 walks

Corbett - 8 innings total, 10 strikeouts, 8 walks

Galvan - 4 innings, ERA 8.31

Weigman - 4 innings ERA 17.36

What exactly strikes out (no pun intended) that says I'm a closer?
I agree. Forbes is young and shows promise. None of those other guys deserve the title "closer".

This team lacks and has lacked a quality pitching staff along the lines of Mac's teams several years ago. IMO the portal ain't changing that. It's more about developing kids with potential.

And I don't think this team is hitting and fielding much worse than prior years. We may be worse on the base paths. We're not hitting as well as we did a few weeks ago, but that has more to do with the quality of opposing pitching than anything else.

Gotta figure out what has changed with our approach to pitching. That's probably coaching related if it doesn't eventually improve...

Last edited:
Reactions: nccardfan
Yeah,I'm more in line with just a reversal of roles. Probably won't happen, but do the coaches give it a whirl? Stay tuned..

I agree. Forbes is young and shows promise. None of those other guys deserve the title "closer".

This team lacks and has lacked a quality pitching staff along the lines of Mac's teams several years ago. IMO the portal ain't changing that. It's more about developing kids with potential.

And I don't think this team is hitting and fielding much worse than prior years. We may be worse on the base paths. We're not hitting as well as we did a few weeks ago, but that has more to do with the quality of opposing pitching than anything else.

Gotta figure out what has changed with our approach to pitching. That's probably coaching related if it doesn't eventually improve...
I tend to agree that is pitching related. I'm certainly not advocating anything about Roger because of what he has done with our past pitchers but I wonder with the new technology along with just the different thinking of spin rates that Roger may have a tough time communicating how it relates to his philosophy. I can't see him as a guy who is going to change how he coaches. I could definitely be totally wrong.

My thinking is we don’t have a closer. Maybe we have a few different guys who could give us one solid inning, maybe an inning+. Correct that these guys haven’t been great for situations they have been placed in. So, why not change it up a bit? You could move Tate to Sat, move Farone to Tues and use Grundy as your closer.

My thinking is we don’t have a closer. Maybe we have a few different guys who could give us one solid inning, maybe an inning+. Correct that these guys haven’t been great for situations they have been placed in. So, why not change it up a bit? You could move Tate to Sat, move Farone to Tues and use Grundy as your closer.
Totally get where you are coming from but we're not the only team that does it but every team before the season starts develops a weekend rotation and a midweek potential starter or starters. Starting pitchers have to have a routine, what days are bullpens, what days are conditioning, what days are rest days. All of that is set on a schedule. Yeah, its a little easier say switching a Friday guy to Saturday and you think hey its no big deal but it means an extra day of rest and your body has to adjust. Typically when you make a change it means missing a start or pitching sooner than you wanted. That's not what Roger or Mac wants because if it disrupts the pitchers well... Now if there's an injury, that's a different story. Starters need a regular routine and even relievers like to know that day if they are in the rotation. So that's why sometimes you can't just put the next guy in. For example, lets say Weigman does a bullpen on Wed so he can pitch on Friday. Well, he doesn't get in the game on Friday and then we don't need him until Sunday. He hasn't pitch with any substance for 4 days. Bottom line, that's why Dan tries to stick with the routine because it is easier if the pitchers make adjustments and get back on track rather than having to make changes.

l get what you are saying. But, if college guys can’t adjust from ‘set’ days something is wrong. Long way back, but, in high school when I was a starting pitcher - yes, I knew my days and the coach wasn’t going to pitch me in-between (unless there was an emergency). Being a relief guy though - you are ready at any time. A guy can throw one day and come back and pitch the very next day (obviously I am not talking about when a guy pitches multiple innings). I just believe there is more flexibility with the pitching staff than you do. Not an argument - just a difference in opinion.

l get what you are saying. But, if college guys can’t adjust from ‘set’ days something is wrong. Long way back, but, in high school when I was a starting pitcher - yes, I knew my days and the coach wasn’t going to pitch me in-between (unless there was an emergency). Being a relief guy though - you are ready at any time. A guy can throw one day and come back and pitch the very next day (obviously I am not talking about when a guy pitches multiple innings). I just believe there is more flexibility with the pitching staff than you do. Not an argument - just a difference in opinion.
30 pitches is about the max a guy can pitch in one game and come back and throw the next. Also depends if the guy is a hard thrower or soft guy. Don't discount the number of pitches they throw in the bullpen just warming up. Plus with a college staff of pitchers, you shouldn't have to pitch a guy two days in a row.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT