ADVERTISEMENT

NC State

PushupMan

25000+
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Hawks is touched up for 2 runs in the bottom of the 1st. First run was let in by a bad throw by 3B Beard. Uncharacteristic.

Hawks has a good second inning, but NC State is up 2-0.

Early breaks going NC State way. I was hoping to see Anderson in the lineup. He's a future star. Think Beard is better off at 2nd base. Hawks looks dialed in now.

2 on and nobody out, and we get nothing in the top of the 3rd. Gotta give the NC State pitcher credit on the 3-2 pitch to King. Looked like outside corner and tailed out of the zone. Very smart pitch … if King takes it’s a walk, bases loaded and still 2 outs. But he got him to swing and he’s out of the inning.

Agreed. He’s one of our better hitters - let him swing away there. Only advantage is that it does make the double play unlikely.

NC State pitcher doing a great job of pitching low in the zone and getting ground balls out of our hitters. Might explain a little more why we tried the sac bunt in the 3rd.

The home plate ump has no business being a college baseball umpire. It's just unreal how year after year this job ineptitude continues. This guy should get evaluated and receive a failing grade.

Beat me to it! Young man has tons of talent - if we get his bat going, look out!

Rough start for Kuehner, but he only gave up one run. Bet the scouting report for Kuehner says he’ll try to groove the first pitch to get ahead of the lead off batter.

Top of the ninth, Runner on first nobody out… I thought was the time for a little small ball. Would have liked to see the sac bunt, and then the base hit by Knapczyk scores the run.

Gutsy move by McDonnell going to Biven to relieve Kuehner. 4 pitch walk!🤮

Sorry guys - our bullpen is no better than it was two seasons ago. Just inconsistent and is not getting it done in clutch time. CDM is going to Have to embrace the portal at least a little. He needs better pitching.

Reactions: PushupMan
Walk offs are no fun when you’re being walked off on!

Only saving grace there is we will have Kuehner for Saturday or Sunday if needed.

Reactions: earsky
I know coach McDonnell is great and all he's done here I'm grateful. Because I love baseball. I love caring about college baseball with my beloved Cards.

But he's also consistent at being wrong on relief pitching decisions. For years I've watched it and many a time we end up winning anyway. But lately, it's really been questionable in my opinion.

Did Koener get hurt trying to field that swinging bunt? Because why take him out for Bevin? A true freshman who obviously felt the pressure and couldn't throw the ball over the plate.

Yet McDonnell left him in to walk another. He should have used Webster after Bevin's first walk instead of waiting until the count was 3 and 1. Unbelievable!

Cards gave this game away. Total failure to manage the 9th inning and I'm sure Mac would admit it.

Reactions: Bardman
so disappointing, but I do not blame our coaching staff when these pitchers cannot throw strikes in situations like this game last night; with that said, I do question our staff bringing in HS ace pitchers with velocity, but fail to find those kids who demonstrate an ability to throw consistently in the the strike zone. It might require a few who throw in mid 70s to the low 80s, but do so while keeping the pitches low and in the strike zone.

there are times, just like last night, when just having a relief pitcher or two with command of the strike zone would be far more effective; that defers the responsibility over to the opponent to beat you rather than beating yourself.

Some will say that walk-off single was responsible for the NCST win, but I would argue that we “snatched defeat from the jaws of victory” by our inability to throw strikes to the preceding batters.

Reactions: earsky
Gutsy move by McDonnell going to Biven to relieve Kuehner. 4 pitch walk!🤮
I thought that was the wrong time to put in a freshman in a big ACC game. I don't know who would have been a better option though. Sometimes coaches outthink themselves. Kuehner got better after giving up the HR to the batter. Doesn't mean it's going to happen again. Hopefully a good pitcher realizes the mistake he made.

I know coach McDonnell is great and all he's done here I'm grateful. Because I love baseball. I love caring about college baseball with my beloved Cards.

But he's also consistent at being wrong on relief pitching decisions. For years I've watched it and many a time we end up winning anyway. But lately, it's really been questionable in my opinion.

Did Koener get hurt trying to field that swinging bunt? Because why take him out for Bevin? A true freshman who obviously felt the pressure and couldn't throw the ball over the plate.

Yet McDonnell left him in to walk another. He should have used Webster after Bevin's first walk instead of waiting until the count was 3 and 1. Unbelievable!

Cards gave this game away. Total failure to manage the 9th inning and I'm sure Mac would admit it.
He took Kuehner out because he was about to face the same batter that hit the HR off him in the last inning. As i said in another post, I don't think it was a good time to put a freshman in a big time pressure situation.

Other than that, we brought in Webster who normally is in the rotation when Hawks starts. He has a 1.98 ERA and his strikeout to walk ratio is 15/3.

I will also add that Coach Mac doesn't make a pitching change without the advice of Roger...

Pitchers didn't execute.

Time for the hitters to start getting to the starters in these league games.
The pressure that they're capable of putting on opposing staffs needs to carry over against these higher quality arms.

Cards looking inept at the plate, making an average pitcher look like Greg Maddux. Looks like starting conference play on the road hasn't worked out so far.

Hard hit ball off Farone and then he throws 4 straight balls. 😫

I believe we're seeing the cupcake schedule taking its toll. Other than Texas A&M and TCU, the Cards haven't played any team worth a hoot in the non conference.

So when we started ACC play, the offense hasn't adjusted to the upgrade in pitching. The ND pitching was average at best and NC State as well, yet the Cards appear lost at seeing change ups and sliders.

Hopefully the upcoming home games will get us back on track or what was once a promising season may turn to a losing conference record.

Reactions: Deeva
We’re a February/March juggernaut when our SOS is the weakest. It matters who you play when you evaluate how well you’re playing…

This team is trending…in the wrong way. Once again, inconsistent pitching from the bullpen. Worse is the bats are just dead. They are very good against mediocre pitching; but, as stated, they have looked below average vs UND and NC St.

Reactions: PushupMan and Deeva
The portal idea is probably DOA with Coach. He wants to see baseball NIL money go to kids who are NOT on scholarship, that is, the more lightly recruited kids on his team.

He has his approach, his system, and a long history of great results. I’ll say it for him: you don’t mess with success…

Not a good look at all; if I interpreted the box score correctly, three of our four hits came from first year kids.

There is talent on this roster, but for whatever reason the execution (3 errors), and the overall performance is uncharacteristic of UL baseball as we have come to expect.

The portal idea is probably DOA with Coach. He wants to see baseball NIL money go to kids who are NOT on scholarship, that is, the more lightly recruited kids on his team.

He has his approach, his system, and a long history of great results. I’ll say it for him: you don’t mess with success…
Denny Crum had his approach, his system, and a long history of great results when the 3 point shot was added to the game. He wasn't as quick to adjust to the new sensation of 3 point shooting and it took a bit before the Cards fully used it to win games.

McDonnell's going to need to adjust his philosophy a bit or he's going to get left behind. I agree he shouldn't rely on the portal but I'm sure he could use a experienced closer and a power hitter or two that could have put this team over the top, and we know there are plenty of top level players who would love to transfer to Louisville.

three of our four hits came from first year kids.
And there it is. It's not a lack of talent. We don't need no stinking portal.😄
We need these upperclassmen to quit worrying about the draft and just play loose like the rookies.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT