ADVERTISEMENT

NBA Looking To Lower Draft Age From 19 To 18

Your stuff is old and tired. Doesn’t bother anyone anymore. It’s lame that you hijack nearly every thread you’re in. I don’t think anyone disagrees with that...
I don't think too many people have a problem how I engage slapd!cks. You can always ask them...

Reactions: earsky
What I remember most distinctly from the pre-OAD era is how painful it was to put together an amazing recruiting class (Sebastian Telfair, Amir Johnson) and then watch helplessly as that class was gutted when the top recruits decided to declare for the NBA draft. And that decision always happened so late in the process that we had no chance to recruit anyone else who wasn’t a project.

The good news these days is that we have the grad transfer rule, which should allow us to get a good, veteran player to fill the immediate need.

Reactions: SoulSr
What I remember most distinctly from the pre-OAD era is how painful it was to put together an amazing recruiting class (Sebastian Telfair, Amir Johnson) and then watch helplessly as that class was gutted when the top recruits decided to declare for the NBA draft. And that decision always happened so late in the process that we had no chance to recruit anyone else who wasn’t a project.

The good news these days is that we have the grad transfer rule, which should allow us to get a good, veteran player to fill the immediate need.
That's why I kind of wish the NBA/NCAA would work together on a firm deadline for high school kids. They need to do some sort of a Winter Combine for high school kids...and then after that give them 1-3 months to make their final decision. They can at least go into the end of their senior year knowing what they are going to do.

Then after those kids make their decisions, the college players can have their evaluation period and make a decision based on who all has declared and what the scout have told them.

This is exactly what does concern me a little bit. I keep thinking back to telfair/rondo. While I believe UK and duke will still get the lion share of the top guys they will also get burned the most by elite kids who commit then change their mind and hit the draft. In many cases we will recruit against the draft moreso than other colleges. I expect the timing to be an issue since most kids will wait till the very end and the schools left with an empty spot.

Whatever system replaces OAD, there won't be a lotta consideration given to college recruiting.

The whole issue is about what's fair to the kids, not monolithic institutions and esp. the ones at the top of the recruiting food chain. If LPT and Kansas are inconvenienced, I doubt there's gonna be a national outcry...

Whatever system replaces OAD, there won't be a lotta consideration given to college recruiting.

The whole issue is about what's fair to the kids, not monolithic institutions and esp. the ones at the top of the recruiting food chain. If LPT and Kansas are inconvenienced, I doubt there's gonna be a national outcry...
On the NBA side there probably won't be much consideration to recruiting issues, that's true. However, there are two sides to this issue. The NCAA will have the opportunity to make some adjustments that are going to be necessary such as allowing kids who go undrafted to go on to school and play if that is what they want to do. Timing will be a huge issue if lots of kids test the water. It will cause upper tier programs to keep a couple of scholarships open just in case. At any rate, everything will be geared towards the kids.

I realize you think this will hurt UK but I doubt it, same with KU, Duke and UNCheat.

On the NBA side there probably won't be much consideration to recruiting issues, that's true. However, there are two sides to this issue. The NCAA will have the opportunity to make some adjustments that are going to be necessary such as allowing kids who go undrafted to go on to school and play if that is what they want to do. Timing will be a huge issue if lots of kids test the water. It will cause upper tier programs to keep a couple of scholarships open just in case. At any rate, everything will be geared towards the kids.

I realize you think this will hurt UK but I doubt it, same with KU, Duke and UNCheat.
What will hurt Puke and UNCheat will be the retirement of Coach K and Roy. Better believe that’s what calimari prays for every night.

Reactions: BigBlueFanGA

Since, as cyanide points out, UK will be recruiting players considering the draft moreso than most schools, it stands to reason that UK will be hurt more than others.

Whatever's done will benefit the kids or be inconsequential. Believe what you want, that can't be anything good for programs that rely excessively on recruiting.

And Duke and UNC have both proven they can win without OAD kids...

Reactions: Tigertown_a_Rick
Since, as cyanide points out, UK will be recruiting players considering the draft moreso than most schools, it stands to reason that UK will be hurt more than others.
Yes, but most everyone will shift down average recruit ratings. The top programs will still get the top remaining players.

Yes, but most everyone will shift down average recruit ratings. The top programs will still get the top remaining players.
Disproportionate reliance on recruiting ==> Disproportionate "shift"

Map-of-the-Nile-River-in-Ancient-Egypt-Egypt-Tours-Portal.jpg

If you mean we many only have 1 or 2 five stars instead of 8 and the rest 4 stars, I guess you're correct. You showed me.
If you only have a couple of 5-stars on your roster, it means your OAD system is failing. And that's the coach you have. Maybe that explains your results of late.

Also don't know WTF you're talking about. 80% of this year's class was 5-star...

If you only have a couple of 5-stars on your roster, it means your OAD system is failing. And that's the coach you have. Maybe that explains your results of late.

Also don't know WTF you're talking about. 80% of this year's class was 5-star...
Good, I hate the OAD and no one is talking about our current classes...this will happen in the future, remember?

Good, I hate the OAD and no one is talking about our current classes...this will happen in the future, remember?
Next year's LPT class is 67% 5-star. The 2017 class was 71% 5-star. Vast differences.

But your head coach and his program are gonna reinvent themselves. Got it...

Next year's LPT class is 67% 5-star. The 2017 class was 71% 5-star. Vast differences.

But your head coach and his program are gonna reinvent themselves. Got it...
Geeze you're a bit simple sometimes. Our coach is going to recruit from the best available players, just like he does every year. We will lose far fewer of them after 1 year too. It will be better for our program. You're gonna hate it.

Geeze you're a bit simple sometimes. Our coach is going to recruit from the best available players, just like he does every year. We will lose far fewer of them after 1 year too. It will be better for our program. You're gonna hate it.

Don’t bring facts to this guy. He’s just going to come back with the same tired, recycled responses.

LOL... Your "coach" is going to have to coach with a different caliber of players than he's proven he can win with. HOW he pulls that off will be anything but simple. He may actually have to coach!
Don’t bring facts to this guy. He’s just going to come back with the same tired, recycled responses.
Sometimes this issue is what is disguised as "facts"...

LOL... Your "coach" is going to have to coach with a different caliber of players than he's proven he can win with. HOW he pulls that off will be anything but simple. He may actually have to coach!

Sometimes this issue is what is disguised as "facts"...
You mean guys 16-40 instead of guys 6-30? That will be horrible for him.

You mean guys 16-40 instead of guys 6-30? That will be horrible for him.
And Lite's proven he can't win a title without a transcendental player. That guy will be going nowhere near LPT or any other college campus going forward...

And Lite's proven he can't win a title without a transcendental player. That guy will be going nowhere near LPT or any other college campus going forward...
Neither has Jim b at Syracuse. Does he suck too? Lol. Never change bubba.

True, but we'll be keeping high level players longer. You keep praying, we'll keep winning.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT