ADVERTISEMENT

More heartache in The Ville…

I'd take Nate Oats today
Compared to Payne, of course.

But he’s in all likelihood just another flavor of the month like Chris Mack was. You move the guy up to the majors, and you find out what he can’t do. And that’s AFTER you’ve signed him to a mega million contract.

It’s why I filter fan narratives on subjects like head coaches. They’re not insightful or meaningful, just opinions and almost random ones…

Most coaches are over valued especially in the tournament. Coaches get jobs strictly on 2-3 weeks of work. Their success could be tied completely toward a favorable matchup or the randomness of 1 game. Way too much emphasis is put on 3 weeks instead of the year.

This is a transitional period in college basketball. The constant roster turnover is going to be very difficult to manage. It was hard enough inserting 2-3 new players now it will be 6-7. That is 6-7 guys that have to buy in right away that is tough.

I do think it is a very interesting discussion point. People love K-State coach…..do you think he is going to have the same success when he has to rebuild his entire roster again? Is he really going to find players like Nowell and Johnson that play so well together? He may but the odds are he will miss next go around. Like he said he has dudes. The kid from Wake has been terrific.

We are entering a new era of coaching.

A lot of random results. We can count top shelf head coaches on one hand and we could probably pick those guy's resumes apart too, if we're being honest.

The portal has changed everything combining that with NIL and you run out the legends and replace them with side show guys.

Maybe you can follow the $ but this NCAAT gave us 50% mid-majors in the S16 I think?

But he’s in all likelihood just another flavor of the month like Chris Mack was. You move the guy up to the majors, and you find out what he can’t do. And that’s AFTER you’ve signed him to a mega million contract.
Can't hardly knock his success during the regular season. He did have the talent to win it all this year though.

It baffles me that teams lose to teams in the tournament they would easily blowout during the regular season. That's been a trend now in the tournament for 20 years.

Not many really good coaches out there anymore.

Not many really good coaches out there anymore

Look at all the iconic coaches how good were they really? Most coached 20-30 years and have 1 or 2 titles. In that 20-30 years they made the Final less that 10% of the time.

I do think it is going to be harder and harder so the next wave of great coaches may only see the Final Four 5% percent of the time. They may not last long enough with the current fire everyone after a bad year or two.

Oates is still a good coach. If losing in the sweet 16 means you're not a good coach, then there's not many good coaches out there.

He has turned Alabama from a NIT team into a #1 seed. Losing to inferior teams in the big dance happens to all good coaches. I remember Pitino losing to Ball State and Morehead State.

Alabama lost yesterday because its best player, a sure fire NBA 1st round pick, was something like 3 for 19 shooting. Had he made 10 out of 19 and won, would Oates then be considered a good coach?

Louisville is not going to any sweet 16's with KP in my opinion and Oates is just one of several coaches I would take in a second to coach the Cards.

We don’t know that is the whole point. Let’s be real honest that Alabama team was freaking loaded compared to the rest of the field. This board would be in complete melt down mode if that happened here.

What we do know your ceiling is a lot higher when you have a loaded roster, but it guarantees nothing in the tournament.

Alabama relies on a gimmick but Tony Bennett shows you gimmicks can cut down nets. 3-27 from the 3pt line in the round of 16 is going to send you home every time.

If guys like Ollie and Calipari can win a title maybe anyone can.

I don't think anyone is saying Nate is a bad coach. I think the point might be we don't know who the real good coaches are, or what coaches can handle the higher profile job, and what coaches are worth the salary they command.

Oates was the #1 overall seed. Coaches like Tony Bennett have been crucified in this space for a result like last nite’s in the context of a season retrospective.

“Great when games don’t matter.”

“Can’t win the big one.”

Etc.

Like I said, just random and not necessarily well founded opinions…

Reactions: REDFISTFURY3
To be fair they had an unprecedented distraction this year. Then again that's life in the fast lane. But still, I don't think any HC at a high end program figures to need to navigate through what they dealt with.

Laugh out Loud

Guarantee a certain poster never called out the failings and short comings of pitino.

Butler, Xavier, Morehead state.
" We 'll never fall out if the top 25" Procedes to go to the NIT.

Id take Nate Oates in a heartbeat. Had he coached the 22-23 team. He would have taken them to the NCAAT.

I think Pitino’s record has been sl. better than Nate Oates. And Pitino only made about 10% more money as salary. The guy was a helluva bargain.

San Diego State is legit. Creighton is legit. Hell, even Florida Atlantic is legit.

They are upsets, but not really at this stage of the tournament. There's no St. Peter's or 15 seed beating the top seed in the sweet 16. Alabama lost because Miller went for hero ball and the team played not to lose in the 2nd half.

San Diego State is good enough to take advantage of that. Most times the favorite hangs on, but not this season. I seriously believe if Gonzaga doesn't win it all, it's going to be one of these non power conference teams.

I'm officially pulling for Florida Atlantic to win it all. (Which means they will definitely lose now)

• Haha
Reactions: Mayoman
San Diego State is legit. Creighton is legit. Hell, even Florida Atlantic is legit.

They are upsets, but not really at this stage of the tournament. There's no St. Peter's or 15 seed beating the top seed in the sweet 16. Alabama lost because Miller went for hero ball and the team played not to lose in the 2nd half.

San Diego State is good enough to take advantage of that. Most times the favorite hangs on, but not this season. I seriously believe if Gonzaga doesn't win it all, it's going to be one of these non power conference teams.

I'm officially pulling for Florida Atlantic to win it all. (Which means they will definitely lose now)
That phrase has lost all meaning this NCAA-T year. Power conferences in CFB are not by default power conferences in CBB...at least not any more and with the portal and NIL likely will not be again in the near future IMO.

I kind of like it that way too. Underdogs dancing all the way to the FF and ship is fun to watch. Go non-power teams...GO GO GO.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT