ADVERTISEMENT

Montrezl Harrell - NBA Draft/Predictions, Reactions

Ipartiedwithhopgood

Five-Star Poster
Jan 20, 2011
Post here.

I've got a feeling he ends up heading to Toronto they pick around 20th. They don't have a lot of depth on the front line and starter Amir Johnson (remember him?) is an unrestricted FA and may pack his bags.

This would be a great spot for him if he goes there. Lowry and Vasquez are pretty good distributors that like to get out and go.

I've heard the Spurs are a possibility too.

Thoughts?

I don't have a prediction on which team will draft Montrezl, I can just say that what ever team drafts him will be getting a great player . And an even better human being .

I'm no NBA expert by any means and am not positive on some team's needs, but I can see Harrell going to Dallas at #21, Portland #23 especially if Aldridge leaves, Cleveland, or Memphis. Some of these teams need some new blood or have needs at the position for back up etc.

Portland would be an interesting landing spot. I would like to see him somehow work his way into 15-20 MPG somewhere.

Yeah, I just want Harrell and Rozier to get a fair chance and then eventually work their way into some decent minutes on a good team.

Trez is sliding. Just what he needs, more motivation. I hope he falls to Golden St. He'd kill it for their 2nd unit.

Damn, just get it done. I've heard more about the NBA tonite than I wanna hear the rest of my life...

Hope he goes to boston at 33. Him and Rozier back together

Don't think Minnesota will take another big...not sure what Houston needs so hopefully they pass and Boston scoops him up

Yeah a bit surprised he fell out of the 1st round. Hope he goes to a good team in the 2nd.

Just can't fathom Trez falling this far. It seems the league is increasingly enamoured with drafting shooters at all positions.

Last edited:
Reactions: pervisl
Well crap. Haha wanted him to go ahead and slide one more pick but he fell to a good team and will have a chance to earn minutes and play for a championship! Proud of both of our guys

I hope Montrezl makes a billion dollars eventually. But I'm not pointing a finger at anyone about where he ended up in the Draft. Perish the thought he could have returned to U of L for another year. I'm thankful for the time he spent here, but no one made him leave. Let's hope he proves a few people wrong tonite...

Harrell slipped because of his perceived bad attitude. Remember when he started to retaliate to a dirty play? That outburst (right or wrong) gave him the reputation as a loose cannon. Combine that with his lack of size for his position and that adds up to slipping in the draft. That's too bad because I don't think Harrell is a loose cannon at all, but he does play with an edge and with a lot of emotion so maybe he can learn to reel it in some and not act like such an ass when he's playing. Maybe dropping out of the 1st round will humble him some.

Sorry Cue,

I disagree with that thought. He fell because he didn't work on what he needed to do. He was projected as a power forward, albeit a little small, but they listed him at 6-8 1/2 so he may grown a bit. He was not going to be a shooting forward but yet he seemed to work more on his outside shooting than his down low power moves. Also if he had worked at that, considering the issues we had with our centers not scoring, could have allowed us to develop Jaylen Johnson more. Harrell's plus size is that he has a motor but let's hope he's willing to do what his coaches ask.

Harrell slipped because of his perceived bad attitude. Remember when he started to retaliate to a dirty play? That outburst (right or wrong) gave him the reputation as a loose cannon. Combine that with his lack of size for his position and that adds up to slipping in the draft. That's too bad because I don't think Harrell is a loose cannon at all, but he does play with an edge and with a lot of emotion so maybe he can learn to reel it in some and not act like such an ass when he's playing. Maybe dropping out of the 1st round will humble him some.

I agree here somewhat. I wouldn't point so much to the little brawl (anyone who saw it would give him a pass) as I would his primal scream after EVERY basket. Save that for when it really matters. Those dreads didn't help either.

Reactions: LaCat70 and pervisl
Things got more fuzzy this A.M. I read the Rockets added undrafted FA Christian Wood out of UNLV, he's a 6-11 PF.

Right now there are a lot of bodies on that front line, really good players. I'm hoping they don't re-sign Josh Smith.

We'll know more after the FA/trade process is complete.

I agree here somewhat. I wouldn't point so much to the little brawl (anyone who saw it would give him a pass) as I would his primal scream after EVERY basket. Save that for when it really matters. Those dreads didn't help either.

This may be the dumbest thing I've ever read. Harrell slid because he screams and has dreads. Think before you post

This may be the dumbest thing I've ever read. Harrell slid because he screams and has dreads. Think before you post

Maybe you missed I was responding to another poster about Trez's "perceived bad attitude". Or maybe you can't read and comprehend for ****. Same!

Reactions: LaCat70
Just can't fathom Trez falling this far. It seems the league is increasingly enamoured with drafting shooters at all positions.
That appears to be an accurate observation. Trez may be perceived as just being a dunk artist while the willowy PF'S drafted immediately ahead of him were all tall "small" forwards. The most ridiculous selection was the guy from Syracuse who was hurt mid-season. Christmas would have made sense. Christmas, his freshman year, reminded me of Onaku(sp?). He really improved by his senior season and was completely ignored.

That appears to be an accurate observation. Trez may be perceived as just being a dunk artist while the willowy PF'S drafted immediately ahead of him were all tall "small" forwards. The most ridiculous selection was the guy from Syracuse who was hurt mid-season. Christmas would have made sense. Christmas, his freshman year, reminded me of Onaku(sp?). He really improved by his senior season and was completely ignored.

I agree and that angle also has to be considered when thinking about why Harrell slipped. I still think the main reason is the perceived attitude (which I don't agree with), but he was also in college for 3 years. It's seems more times than not, most players are ignored or labeled as not worthy if they stay in college. Not always, but it sure seems to happen a lot. A kid stays in school and gets punished for it.

If anything, I thought Tristan Thompson's performance in the NBA Finals would have boosted Trez's stock. Thompson can't score any better than Trez, but he outworked everyone on the floor for rebounds. Thompson's rebounding (and ability to switch on screens) was the only way to counter when Golden State went small. Having a 6'8 PF with a 7'4" wingspan and a relentless motor seems to be undervalued. Playing hard is a skill - and Trez will be one of the most skilled in that department.

I agree w/ who mentioned shooting as becoming paramount.

However, that doesn't explain the other point that I'm about to make.

NBA scouts had enough film on Harrell to point to his weaknesses clearly. He's played 3 yrs on a pretty big stage.

There is footage of what he does well which is cool, but there is also tape on what he doesn't or can't do at a high level (shooting the 3, for ex).

A few players went ahead of him that didn't produce as much data. I.E. - it's yet to be clear what they don't do well. More than likely, they dont do a lot of things well,there just isn't enough tape out there to confirm it. They have length measurables, are a couple years younger, and "potential".

The idea of potential is really simply a substitute for describing a player as an unknown quantity.

It's kind of a lazy way to go about evaluation. Instead of focusing on what attributes and skillsets exist w/ a proven commodity, instead they shift the focus on what the more experienced player doesn't do well. In turn, scouts point to a fraudulent concept referred to as potential in regards to explaining why they are selecting a younger far less proven commodity.

Everybody knew Lebron and Kobe were headed for greatness, there was enough film on them w/o seeing them @ the Collegiate level. Guys like Kwame Brown didn't get the same buzz though, much more risk there.

Scouts/GMs prefer to go w/ the risk/reward angle more times than not. For a guy like Looney or McCullough to go ahead of Harrell, it certainly wasn't a "you get what you earn" pecking order.

Sure, the NBA has produced draft picks at a young age that have fit the potential criteria. There's also been examples of potential going untapped.

Maybe the scouts will end up being right here. Success tends to boil down to a lot of things out of a player's control. How crowded is the roster? Does the coach have his job on the line? Does upper mgt prefer our guy, or do they like a few of their other guys @ the same position already on the team more? Do his skills fit the system he's in?

We will see. I'd think w/ Houston, they could find some value in an energy guy for 15-20 min off the pine to run the floor and get after it, and bring an intensity edge. Or, will they prefer to trot out a soft stretch 4 instead?

Long season, hope he gets a chance.

Last edited:
I agree w/ who mentioned shooting as becoming paramount.

However, that doesn't explain the other point that I'm about to make.

NBA scouts had enough film on Harrell to point to his weaknesses clearly. He's played 3 yrs on a pretty big stage.

There is footage of what he does well which is cool, but there is also tape on what he doesn't or can't do at a high level (shooting the 3, for ex).

A few players went ahead of him that didn't produce as much data. I.E. - it's yet to be clear what they don't do well. More than likely, they dont do a lot of things well,there just isn't enough tape out there to confirm it. They have length measurables, are a couple years younger, and "potential".

The idea of potential is really simply a substitute for describing a player as an unknown quantity.

It's kind of a lazy way to go about evaluation. Instead of focusing on what attributes and skillsets exist w/ a proven commodity, instead they shift the focus on what the more experienced player doesn't do well. In turn, scouts point to a fraudulent concept referred to as potential in regards to explaining why they are selecting a younger far less proven commodity.

Everybody knew Lebron and Kobe were headed for greatness, there was enough film on them w/o seeing them @ the Collegiate level. Guys like Kwame Brown didn't get the same buzz though, much more risk there.

Scouts/GMs prefer to go w/ the risk/reward angle more times than not. For a guy like Looney or McCullough to go ahead of Harrell, it certainly wasn't a "you get what you earn" pecking order.

Sure, the NBA has produced draft picks at a young age that have fit the potential criteria. There's also been examples of potential going untapped.

Maybe the scouts will end up being right here. Success tends to boil down to a lot of things out of a player's control. How crowded is the roster? Does the coach have his job on the line? Does upper mgt prefer our guy, or do they like a few of their other guys @ the same position already on the team more?
The bottom line with Harrell is there is a perception that he doesn't have a big upside like some younger players.

FWIW, I watched some coverage of draft combine workouts and saw Trez in a catch-and-shoot drill from about 15-17 feet from two places on the left side, and he did not miss a single of the 7-8 shots I saw him shoot. Looked really good...in that one drill on that one day.

FWIW, I watched some coverage of draft combine workouts and saw Trez in a catch-and-shoot drill from about 15-17 feet from two places on the left side, and he did not miss a single of the 7-8 shots I saw him shoot. Looked really good...in that one drill on that one day.

He added a legit mid-range J this year, it's just... that NBA 3 looks out of reach.

Of course he was better dunking, so is everybody else... if they can do it.

Thought for sure GS might nab him, he would have fit with those great passers/shooters. Oh well!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT