ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan series

earsky

Four-Star Poster
Jan 12, 2010
I had a front row seat for the catch. Out just behind the fence in left center,Usher's catch was a 3 run homer that ultimately was the difference in the game. That and the two doubles that landed just inside the foul line on the shifted Michigan outfield.
These look like 2 even teams to me. Both teams get to take a little live action batting practice to finish game 2 before they get to the deciding game 3.

We do still have 15 outs left,but can our pitchers slow them down any to comeback from 13-4 deficit?

I had a front row seat for the catch. Out just behind the fence in left center,Usher's catch was a 3 run homer that ultimately was the difference in the game. That and the two doubles that landed just inside the foul line on the shifted Michigan outfield.
These look like 2 even teams to me. Both teams get to take a little live action batting practice to finish game 2 before they get to the deciding game 3.

We do still have 15 outs left,but can our pitchers slow them down any to comeback from 13-4 deficit?
I don’t think Dan will want to burn through a bunch of pitchers to come back in the continuation of game 2. Hope Phillips is ready for Game 3.

To compound the pitching issues,the Cards have 2 midweek games this week.
Somebody will get the chance to emerge. Hell,we've got 21 pitchers.

Reactions: Bardman
Exactly. Somewhat of a problem is Notre Dame is in the house this next weekend so managing the staff is crucial. If our guys hit the ball and score we can really save the pitchers. .

Reactions: earsky
Exactly. Somewhat of a problem is Notre Dame is in the house this next weekend so managing the staff is crucial. If our guys hit the ball and score we can really save the pitchers. .
These 2 midweek games guys are really gonna have to pound the zone. I'm guessing we could just about see anybody if we can get through tomorrow first. Geesh!
Bad time to be playing two midweek games,but there are some guys that haven't thrown in a while. Geesh!!

With it being so cold I imagine his hand is stinging even worse than normal and stiffened up pretty fast. A lot of baseball coming up; resting him makes all the sense in the world.

Man cards are rolling now. Rough start to the season but we’ve gone on a tear. Wonder what it’ll take to be ranked at some point?

I think they are ranked when the new rankings come out. The snow game was garbage; otherwise we may have swept UM. Dang, think Masterman just hit a car out past LF. Love what Poland and Weigman (so far) have done.

Couple of things. Yeah,Phillips was awesome. Secondly,there are several guys in the batting lineup that can carry the offense and they're not all in the meat of the lineup.
Look for Poland to move back into the weekend rotation against Notre Dame.
He's a beast.

Really good series at the plate. I have been critical but they have a pretty solid lineup. Usher looks to have found something. Hitting to all fields.

They have to find the weekend starter. Maybe Sneed will get back to form. Poland is an option as well.

Starters aside…bullpen has to trow strikes and keep the team in the game or hold the lead. Just that simple to me. I do like what we are seeing from the hitters. Guys are hitting the ball all through the lineup. If Usher can stay north of .275 that will be great for this team. He needs to be on base.

If Usher can stay north of .275 that will be great for this team. He needs to be on base.
Maybe the difference between good and much better than good for this offense if Usher gets it going. He's the best base stealer in the country and I'll stand by that.

Reactions: Bardman
I’m going to hold my opinions until we start seeing some ACC pitching.
And that's fine,but we're absolutely a better team when he's good offensively.
It was evident to me that because he's getting it going at the plate,you start to see how good he is at everything else.

He's a force on the field when he's clicking offensively.

And that's fine,but we're absolutely a better team when he's good offensively.
It was evident to me that because he's getting it going at the plate,you start to see how good he is at everything else.

He's a force on the field when he's clicking offensively.
I’m referring to the entire team. Usher was the highest rated pro potential we had on the team last year so the fact that he played so poorly was puzzling. He’s just now living up to his potential.

Usher’s primary contribution is playing CF. We all know sometimes you give up some offense for better defense and vice versa. Yet, if he is hitting the ball that makes him extremely dangerous. We have guys who (can) hit the ball all through the lineup. We just really need that lefty bat and him being in base.

We have guys who (can) hit the ball all through the lineup. We just really need that lefty bat and him being in base.
I don't know if Mac would mess with the lineup at this point,but I talked about Usher being at or near the top of the lineup before IF he was to ever get it going. It's really where Coach Mac has wanted him since last season. I don't know,we'll see.

I’m referring to the entire team. Usher was the highest rated pro potential we had on the team last year so the fact that he played so poorly was puzzling. He’s just now living up to his potential.
My bad. I thought you were responding to my comment about Usher's importance to the team. Yes,pre season 3rd team All American last year. He has learned to live with the fact that pitchers are gonna throw pretty much nothing but off speed stuff to him and he has to figure out how to hit it.
The slump last year that he was mired in cost him a lot,but he has a chance to turn it around for this next draft. I'm rooting for him big time. What a talent he is.

Assuming we can handle our work how we should (never a sure thing), expect Corbett and Prosecky to each pitch 20-30 pitches midweek since they didn't work after FRI. Expect Poland to work 25-40 pitches midweek to prepare him to start Saturday against ND. Otherwise, midweek should be a "Johnny Wholestaff" situation across both games to make sure staff is ready for ACC play.

Really like how the offense is "dangerous 1-9" as Dan always likes to say. It's great when you have a couple hammers in the middle of the lineup but when anyone can cause you problems it really wears on the opposing pitchers. They never get to take a breath.

With Usher putting up some decent stats, watch where he is in counts. When he was struggling, Ps didn't fear him and he was always 0-1, 0-2 or 1-2. Tough to do anything productive from those counts. If they start to nibble b/c they're concerned he may hurt them, he can get to some favorable counts and even some BBs (which often turn into doubles or triples with his speed).

Knap is setting the table perfectly. Sprays to all fields, BBs, HBPs, whatever it takes to get on base.

Beard appears to be solid at the plate as well. Doesn't look comfortable in the field but if you produce offensively, you can live with that while he cleans it up.

Brief glimpse of Noah Smith at SS was great to see. Seems at home there and looks smooth. Bat will have to catch up as his FR year progresses.

Assuming we can handle our work how we should (never a sure thing), expect Corbett and Prosecky to each pitch 20-30 pitches midweek since they didn't work after FRI. Expect Poland to work 25-40 pitches midweek to prepare him to start Saturday against ND. Otherwise, midweek should be a "Johnny Wholestaff" situation across both games to make sure staff is ready for ACC play.

Really like how the offense is "dangerous 1-9" as Dan always likes to say. It's great when you have a couple hammers in the middle of the lineup but when anyone can cause you problems it really wears on the opposing pitchers. They never get to take a breath.

With Usher putting up some decent stats, watch where he is in counts. When he was struggling, Ps didn't fear him and he was always 0-1, 0-2 or 1-2. Tough to do anything productive from those counts. If they start to nibble b/c they're concerned he may hurt them, he can get to some favorable counts and even some BBs (which often turn into doubles or triples with his speed).

Knap is setting the table perfectly. Sprays to all fields, BBs, HBPs, whatever it takes to get on base.

Beard appears to be solid at the plate as well. Doesn't look comfortable in the field but if you produce offensively, you can live with that while he cleans it up.

Brief glimpse of Noah Smith at SS was great to see. Seems at home there and looks smooth. Bat will have to catch up as his FR year progresses.
Yes,all about those favorable counts. Usher just needs to know they're gonna try to get him to chase something early in the count to get ahead. His at bats have really improved. Noah Smith is a really good ss.
From CM's post game comments,sounds like Seed and Moose maybe getting mid week starts.
Go Cards!

I don't know if Mac would mess with the lineup at this point,but I talked about Usher being at or near the top of the lineup before IF he was to ever get it going. It's really where Coach Mac has wanted him since last season. I don't know,we'll see.
I think the ideal spot for Usher is the 2 hole. Typically I would say leadoff but there’s no reason to take Knap out. Down in the lineup also makes sense since Dan has always liked having a another leadoff type at the bottom to reset the table. Where you bat in the lineup can dictate they type of pitches they get. Bottom of the lineup do usually get more fastballs as they are sometimes considered weaker hitters. You’re 3-4-5 hitters are your Rbi guys and they see a lot more breaking balls and off speed. If I’m Dan I wouldn’t mess with where Knap and Usher are hitting now. Our offense seems to be getting on track.

I can see it down the road...maybe,Usher in the 2 hole and just move everybody else down a spot. Different dynamic with him and Knap on base at the same time for sure because of the havoc that they could create for pitchers and catchers.

Having a consistent, ‘scary’ batter behind Usher would probably help as theybwould have to pitch to Usher and not play around with him.

Having a consistent, ‘scary’ batter behind Usher would probably help as theybwould have to pitch to Usher and not play around with him.
Bingo! And if he's on base,one of two things - They have to throw fastballs to keep him fro stealing every base in sight or they throw a lot of breaking stuff and he steals everything in sight. I think ideally I'd want him in front of Knap but hard to mess with a good thing there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT