ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Rhule article ..... compelling article here

Pervis_Griffith

25000+
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
This article is about Matt Rhule to Nebraska. But ... it's easy to see why Rhule will have his choice of jobs. You can read the whole article going to the link. But I'll share some highlights.

Wind the clock back six years. Rhule -- a New Yorker by way of Philadelphia -- stood in front of a crowd in Waco, Texas, and brought the house down. At his introductory press conference, which co-opted as a pep rally, Rhule calmed a Baylor program split into factions following the Art Briles Title IX scandal.

Rhule, though a Yankee in every sense of the word, spoke almost as a preacher at this gathering at the Baptist university, blending tribute to the Texas High School Coaches Association with affirmations of the players on campus. He gave fans hope, ex-players tribute and boosters a vision.

"When you watch us play, I want you to say to yourself, 'That's my team,'" said Rhule. "They play the way I want them to play. Every game doesn't go your way. But win, lose or draw, I want us all to be proud of the way that our team plays the game."

_____

A bonafide program-builder

While Rhule failed at the NFL level, his college coaching credentials are unimpeachable. Rhule took over a flailing Temple program in 2012 and went 2-10 in his first season. Two years later in 2015, Rhule led the Owls to only their second 10-win season. He did it again the following year, this time winning the AAC championship. The Owls are just 29-34, including 6-18 over the last three years, since Rhule's departure.

At Baylor, a 1-11 debut in 2017 hindered by roster attrition was followed by a winning record in Year 2 and an appearance in the Big 12 Championship Game in Year 3. Many of the players on last season's Big 12 championship team, led by second-year coach Dave Aranda, were recruited and developed by Rhule's staff, including NFL Draft picks Jalen Pitre and Terrel Bernard.

_____

And from purely a football perspective, Rhule's teams should excite Nebraska fans. Rhule would bring a physical, defensive persona back to Lincoln. Temple's defense ranked No. 3 nationally in 2016, behind only Michigan and Alabama. Baylor posted 46 sacks in 14 games during its run to the Sugar Bowl in 2019 -- tied for seventh nationally.

There's a lot more to this article -- recruiting, staff, player development. It's worth a couple minutes to read.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News