ADVERTISEMENT

Masterson's Homer replay

So happy for Cam. Slumped late in the season, was benched at times, and the Senior came up huge in the Regional. Really proud of him.

Second that Cam statement. I like him but thought Benson needed a shot as it seemed Cam was either striking out or crushing the ball - thing is with the SOs - we needed solid contact. Bottomline is he stepped up and hit the ball when it counted. Same has to be said for Levi. When he swings the bat into the pitch and doesn’t try to rip the cover off the ball - he swing is beautiful and he gets on base.

Won't find that on ESPN site. Just the two-run single that preceded the HR and four Meat Chicken highlights.
it was on ESPN's main college sports page below the articles where they post video's but it was not on the actual gamecast/box score page, as you said just the 2 run single before. i think when the game ends they stop posting on the individual page but it was on their home page. 2 vids below Jocelyn's Alo's 120th HR, also a grand slam. her 119th was a moon shot! here's the page for a bunch of vids from today

Reactions: fredburgcard
I have been consistent and adamant about my support of CDM, and his decision as to who plays and when. I am equally defensive about my belief that it’s the players executing, and not coaching that is the difference between winning and losing. With that said, now I am going to contradict myself a bit by pointing out that CDM deserves some serious credit for the fact that Masterman was the one at the plate in such a critical at bat.

Go Cards!

CDM deserves some serious credit for the fact that Masterman was the one at the plate in such a critical at bat
I'll be the first to say I don't agree with every decision Mac makes. Not positive I agreed with staying with Masterman after Saturday. I'm sure it entered his mind to change it up. That's his job,to make those calls and he probably even went back and forth a little bit on it.
It was a great decision to stay with a guy probably playing in his last games ever at Patterson.
Hope to see Masterman continue warming up at the plate. We're a different animal when he's pounding the ball.
On another note,I noticed as Cam was about to cross the plate,Obertop gave a nod to him as if to say nice one.
That was pretty classy.

I'll be the first to say I don't agree with every decision Mac makes. Not positive I agreed with staying with Masterman after Saturday. I'm sure it entered his mind to change it up. That's his job,to make those calls and he probably even went back and forth a little bit on it.
It was a great decision to stay with a guy probably playing in his last games ever at Patterson.
Hope to see Masterman continue warming up at the plate. We're a different animal when he's pounding the ball.
On another note,I noticed as Cam was about to cross the plate,Obertop gave a nod to him as if to say nice one.
That was pretty classy.
Benson wasn’t even available for Regionals as he was injured in practice. Who did you want to replace Masterman, the Regionals MVP?

Benson wasn’t even available for Regionals as he was injured in practice. Who did you want to replace Masterman, the Regionals MVP?
Lol 😆
Quit stalking me man. I had no idea Benson wasn't available and I also said I wasn't positive I agreed. I didn't say I positively disagreed. Jesus,Mary and Joseph!
He certainly wasn't the MVP after Saturday night was he?
You on Mac's payroll or something?
I'm sure every fan of Crum,Schnelly,Petrino,Pitino,etc. never wondered about their strategies.
I guess Mac is a friggin soothsayer.😂😂

Lol 😆
Quit stalking me man. I had no idea Benson wasn't available and I also said I wasn't positive I agreed. I didn't say I positively disagreed. Jesus,Mary and Joseph!
He certainly wasn't the MVP after Saturday night was he?
You on Mac's payroll or something?
I'm sure every fan of Crum,Schnelly,Petrino,Pitino,etc. never wondered about their strategies.
I guess Mac is a friggin soothsayer.😂😂
Wasn’t stalking you. You came out all by yourself with an uneducated statement and I corrected you. Sorry, pull your big boy pants up.

Just a reminder; without knowing anyone personally on this Board, I still feel confident saying that none of us have as much knowledge of college baseball, or have as much understanding as to who on this UL roster needs to be in the lineup …….. than CDM!

There are excellent posts from most everyone, and like myself we all can freely express our opinions; but when you start questioning Dan and his decisions, you should remind yourself of his accomplishments, and his reputation in this one discipline that he is being paid to perform.

I honestly believe that when Cam went to the plate, he did so as a result of CDM believing that he was the very best player on the roster to represent the best interest of the team. I would bet that Dan was the least one in the park being surprised when that swing drove the ball out of the park.

Just a reminder; without knowing anyone personally on this Board, I still feel confident saying that none of us have as much knowledge of college baseball, or have as much understanding as to who on this UL roster needs to be in the lineup …….. than CDM!

There are excellent posts from most everyone, and like myself we all can freely express our opinions; but when you start questioning Dan and his decisions, you should remind yourself of his accomplishments, and his reputation in this one discipline that he is being paid to perform.

I honestly believe that when Cam went to the plate, he did so as a result of CDM believing that he was the very best player on the roster to represent the best interest of the team. I would bet that Dan was the least one in the park being surprised when that swing drove the ball out of the park.
Well said. I'll also add this forum is quickly becoming as snarky as the football and basketball forums, which I'll take some of the blame. I think we are all forgetting something. The Cards are playing in the Super Regionals. We should be celebrating the team, this season, their accomplishments. Instead, we are all trying to outdo each other with our perceived superior baseball knowledge. It's silly.

Regarding Cam, I watch most games from the friendly confines of my house. When you watch on tv, you see things fans at the game don't see, and vice versa. I can't recall the game, but Cam got pulled around the 5th or 6th inning of a home game, fairly late in the regular season. The camera had a perfect shot of Cam and Mac sitting side by side, as Mac was clearly providing words of encouragement. You could see Cam just soaking it in. He wasn't mad. He wasn't pouting. You could tell the player/coach bond was real. Cam eventually turned things around, and had 4 home runs in the Regional. There wasn't a snow balls chance in hell Mac was going to pinch hit for Cam in that situation.

As a fan we can ALL express our feelings about any coach in any sport. We all get frustrated and need to vent. It is ok to question CDM’s decisions - just like every does to CSS, CJW and CKP. Certainly doesn’t mean we know more than they do. It is just what fans do. As stated - we all should be head over heels about this team. Based on the pitching and defense we thought we’d be lucky to make the tourney. Now…Super Regionals! I, for one, am ecstatic.

I am critical or question coaching decisions as much as the next guy but when a poster says that was “wrong” decision or he’s not an in game coach or doesn’t care about the ACC tournament, we all know that is false. The results of what he continues to do should be proof enough. I don’t mind if a poster says he makes a wrong decision as long as we realize (especially with pitching) all the coaches have input but Dan ultimately makes the final decision. But please don’t just say he’s wrong provide what you would have done and defend it. His reasons are definitely better than what I got. Dan doesn’t have the ability on this message board to answer his critics..

simply all coaching decisions are correct if the players simple performed. but remember, there is a team on the other side doing it's best to counteract decisions. 99 times out of a 100 replacing a pitcher may work, but on the 100th if it doesn't the coach gets blamed for making a bad decision. or to put it another way, the coach puts his faith in a player to perform his role as he's done previously, but when that player fails, or even succeeds in what he was supposed to do but the opposing player did a better job, then the decision waas correct, the player did his job, just the opposing player did a better job. and throughout a game there may be 50 instances of pitches called, player changes, player alignment, pitch outs, steal attempts, and on and on and 48 may be successful and never even thought about or pondered by you, but the two times things went wrong you blame the coach. he was 96% right all thru the game but he must suck if he makes two bad calls. until you are in the locker room, feeling players moods, know their health, and understand all the personal dynamics, then you've got no fffing clue how to manage or call a baseball game. i don't care how may games you've watched, if you haven't coached a college men or women, then you don't have a clue and you are pompous to think you do.

Reactions: nccardfan
Actually glassman, I believe Sean Moth fits outside the category of having ever coached Men’s or Women’s College sports; yet I would identify Sean as an example of someone most worthy of commentary about this UL Baseball Team. I go to the Park often, I watch a lot of the away games on ESPN+ but quite frankly I appreciate the “audio only” from Moth just as much as witnessing the games firsthand. In fact, I would go as far as saying that I trust Sean’s knowledge and understanding of UL Baseball as much as anyone not named Dan McDonnell. His relationship with the players is incredibly close and is most evident by the manner in which they exchange during interviews.

This UL roster has a lot of local kids with enormous pride of Louisville baseball, and it should not be too surprising to see Cam step up big in that one moment, despite having some struggles at the plate leading up to that opportunity.

Actually glassman, I believe Sean Moth fits outside the category of having ever coached Men’s or Women’s College sports; yet I would identify Sean as an example of someone most worthy of commentary about this UL Baseball Team. I go to the Park often, I watch a lot of the away games on ESPN+ but quite frankly I appreciate the “audio only” from Moth just as much as witnessing the games firsthand. In fact, I would go as far as saying that I trust Sean’s knowledge and understanding of UL Baseball as much as anyone not named Dan McDonnell. His relationship with the players is incredibly close and is most evident by the manner in which they exchange during interviews.

This UL roster has a lot of local kids with enormous pride of Louisville baseball, and it should not be too surprising to see Cam step up big in that one moment, despite having some struggles at the plate leading up to that opportunity.
One moment? The dude had 4 home runs during the Regionals. Quit trying to minimize what he did.

He was sort of feast or famine. His feasting was huge. His famine was, well, lots of striking out. Take the good with the bad!

He was sort of feast or famine. His feasting was huge. His famine was, well, lots of striking out. Take the good with the bad!
Well, he’s almost a .300 hitter (296,) which is the benchmark. He slumped. That happens in baseball. It’s partly why his huge moment was so meaningful. It does seem, however, some folks take his struggles personally, which is weird.

Cam has a .593 slugging percentage and .392 OBP which is good for a .985 OPS. OPS is much more indicative of how a player is performing at the plate rather than batting average because it takes walks into account and weighs extra base hits on a different scale from singles. Masterman is 3rd on the team in that category behind Rushing and Metzinger

Cam has a .593 slugging percentage and .392 OBP which is good for a .985 OPS. OPS is much more indicative of how a player is performing at the plate rather than batting average because it takes walks into account and weighs extra base hits on a different scale from singles. Masterman is 3rd on the team in that category behind Rushing and Metzinger
Like I have said, the coaches have so much more stats and data than what we fans process during a game. Yes, Masterman knew he was struggling and he made adjustments. You don’t just give up on a kid and go to the next guy. That destroys his already fragile confidence. Everyone goes through slumps and sometimes need a rest or refocus. Luckily Dan stayed with Cam.

Like I have said, the coaches have so much more stats and data than what we fans process during a game. Yes, Masterman knew he was struggling and he made adjustments. You don’t just give up on a kid and go to the next guy. That destroys his already fragile confidence. Everyone goes through slumps and sometimes need a rest or refocus. Luckily Dan stayed with Cam.
Yeah you don’t go away from a senior in June who’s been playing as well as Cam has all year just because of a rough couple weeks. Baseball is a streaky game, guys have really hot stretches then suddenly go 1 for 20. Hell the best player on earth, Mike Trout, just had an 0 for 26 slump. Joey Votto looked done at the beginning of this year then came back from an IL stint and looks like he’s in his prime and has been absolutely tearing the cover off the ball. You can’t give up on guys who have a bad stretch because it’s just part of the game. Luckily for us it looks like Cam and Beard have exited their slumps. If Bianco starts hitting bombs again watch out

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT