ADVERTISEMENT

Mack is failing

I wonder if going back to his original style is possible or something Mack is willing to to. Sure they had some late season drop offs but they never looked this bad. And they did beat some good teams in past seasons.

If he's sticking to this new style then he needs to shore it up and put some new wrinkles in a hurry.
Actually I think this talk about a new offense or style is just that - talk. All they are doing is making sure they shoot the ball 3 seconds faster than they shot it last year. The ball still gets stuck on offense, especially with West but Dre and Locke shooting quick 3’s is not a solution. Surprisingly there was only one time where Cross was set and ready to catch and shoot. Two other times it was hot potato with him.

PS - we got stuck on 15 forever and then one other time in the second half. I would start there and see what combination we had in there. Maybe don’t play that group together again.

Reactions: earsky
One good thing I experienced last night at the game, my first game in attendance since the 2018-19 season, was that I love the new PA announcer. I know this won’t be popular here but Sean Moth just really got on my nerves. The THREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! thing was like nails on a chalkboard to me. The new guy sounded great, like an NBA type announcer.

Reactions: achilles992000
Nothing to say that can defend this performance. Looked totally inept for long stretches of the game. Low BB IQ and appear poorly coached.
I'll trade you John Calipari for Chris Mack..... But on second thought, I wouldn't wish Calipari off on no one.

I read this situation much the same as the one with Petrino when TJ left and VT came in. He knew he had just lost his prime supporter and it was all over but the shouting. Same here with Mack now that Tyra is lost and an interim comes in.
I said the same thing this weekend only remove his potential buyout. Mack starting to look like a dead man walking...

Reactions: gocds
There it is.
This is it exactly, but I still believe this transpired due to the Mack suspension. If he only missed the games but could have been at practice I think it wouldn't have been as bad.

With a retooled roster with six new players made it even harder to avoid what we're seeing now. Roles still haven't been assigned much less accepted.

I think if Mack is as good a head coach as he's supposed to be, he will turn this team around. We will see.

I think the fix required offensively isn't gonna just happen overnight. Too many individual limitations, not gonna write a novel on that.

Hoping, starting ASAP, the guys buy into the defensive identity they showed in the Bahamas. Even though MD and MST were average teams, I liked how the Cards played in both those games. They dominated the glass and really played tough in your face chippy defense. Earning extra possessions, playing with some confidence. That's the identity they need to reach back and find, I think.

Hey look,just turn the TV on any given night and watch an NBA game. Even with all the superstars and larger than life egos,they understand the game. It's about getting the best shot every possession. It's gotten by guys moving the ball early and often in that possession.
The dribble drive is dead,but if all you're running is high screens to break people free,that only encourages more dribbling.
Pass or move with motion. What do I know,I'm just a 60 year old fan.

Well,of course there's also the psyche that works in that you have to show the scouts that you can shoot,sometimes having one eye on the next level instead of trying to become a unit.
When the shots stop falling,you can't hang your head at the other end. Make a defensive play to help the team.

Hoops Insight takes a close look at Louisville’s season so far and says there’s reason to believe that some of their offensive struggles have been “fluky.”

Louisville’s offensive blueprint has changed under assistant Ross McMains. The Cardinals are 30th nationally in shortest offensive time of possession, per KenPom, as they get out in transition more frequently. A Chris Mack team has never ranked in the top 50 in shortest time of possession on offense. Per hoop-math.com, the Cards are 20th in percentage of shots taken in the first 10 seconds of the shot clock after ranking 212th in that same stat last season. However, that doesn’t mean the Cards are getting good quick shots yet. UofL has the 15th worst effective FG% in transition so far this season!
The Cards also have reduced their reliance on the midrange shot. Last season Louisville took 35% of their shots from midrange, and that’s decreased to 24% this season. Those midrange shots have been swapped out for more efficient threes, which accounted for 30% of UofL’s shots last season but 43% this go around. However, Louisville’s 3 point FG% has actually dropped from 31% last season to just 29% so far this term.
There’s reason to believe that these early season results are flukishly bad. First, the transition offense. Louisville currently has the worst eFG% in transition of any power conference team at 44%; Louisville’s worst year in the 10 years data is available at hoop-math.com was 49% in 2015. Withers, Williamson, and Dre Davis were above 55% last year, but all are at 50% or worse this year. Noah Locke is at 40% this year, including a 30% 3ptFG% in transition; last season he had an eFG% in transition of 69% including 53% on threes. Jarrod West is at 26% this season including 8% on threes (1-13), but had a transition eFg% of 70% last season including 51% from three. These players didn’t completely forget how to score on the fast break all of a sudden. In Locke and West’s case, they have gone from being amazing transition scorers to being disastrous.

I think this is the worst possible time for us to change coaches, regardless of what I think of Mack.

We have an interim President and AD. We don't know what the NCAA is going to do to us. Until those issues are resolved I think we're better off staying with Mack for now.

In the long term, once a new AD is in place, they will want to bring in their own guy, especially if Mack is struggling. Bringing in someone new now might over-complicate the AD hiring process and hamper the new AD.

The next coach we bring in should know exactly what they're in for with post-season bans and other penalties.

Reactions: shadow force
Time to turn things around but things are troubling:

- DePaul was athletically superior. A clear indictment of our recruiting
- Withers and Williamson were supposed to be strength of team. They combined to go 0-5 with 6 rebounds.
- Distinct lack of player development. Davis only guy who seems to have grown as a player. Others have regressed, flat-lined or transferred
- Fires two assistants and replacements show little improvement. The “new” offense is ineffective.
- Has committed NCAA violations

Gonna bump this back up

Reactions: shadow force
I said the same thing this weekend only remove his potential buyout. Mack starting to look like a dead man walking...
They can fire him today for cause and not owe him a cent for breaking NCAA violations. Right?

Reactions: Deeva
They can fire him today for cause and not owe him a cent for breaking NCAA violations. Right?

He hasn’t been sanctioned yet. They are allegations at this point. The crazy thing is that by recording Gaudio he basically implicated himself.

I was excited to get Mack...but have to say...very disappointed...with the losses...looks like another missed year in the NCAA tournament and the mess with his assitants and more NCAA infractions...I am lossing interest...always been huge Louisville fan...

Pitino was fired based only on the allegation of rules violations. But an attorney told me that U of L's case is stronger by acting on a finding and not just an allegation.

(Which in hindsight reminds us what a gift Pitino gave U of L by dropping a $40 million lawsuit...)

Mack is toast IMO because I don't think the distinction matters much if that's the direction they wanna go. U of L simply has to accept the Mack allegation(s) and challenge whatever doesn't get in the way of firing him with cause...

I think a good "house cleaning" is what is truly need on Belknap campus. With UofL needing and about to get new leadership at the top it's the perfect time to get the whole package. In my opinion the only three "safe" jobs in the athletic department is our baseball, football and women's basketball coaches. We need aggressive coaches across the board that know the rules and how to adhere to them. And a little loyalty to UofL would be a nice thing as well. I'm sure there are other coaches at UofL that deserve to continue in their roles, but I just don't know who they are right now. I'm sure there are posters that DO know whom they are.

GO CARDS!!!

Pitino was fired based only on the allegation of rules violations. But an attorney told me that U of L's case is stronger by acting on a finding and not just an allegation.

(Which in hindsight reminds us what a gift Pitino gave U of L by dropping a $40 million lawsuit...)

Mack is toast IMO because I don't think the distinction matters much if that's the direction they wanna go. U of L simply has to accept the Mack allegation(s) and challenge whatever doesn't get in the way of firing him with cause...
It was a very difficult position to be put in considering the past. No way you keep Pitino. The mistake was Jurich but that was coming at some point anyway. It wasn’t a gift. Pitinio knew he had settle if he ever wanted to coach in college again. Smart move because he couldn’t have imagined the NCAA taking 5 years.

Mack is with us until the NCAA rules unless the level 2 violations stick. There is no guarantee the next coach would recruit better with the NCAA. Let’s face recruits aren’t being told it will be a 1 year ban they are being told it will be 2-3-4 year ban.

I actually think they get probation and scholarship reduction because the NCAA is going to have a real hard time supporting their claim Adidas is a booster. I really believe they are slow playing it because they know. This is equivalent to Louisville getting post season bans.

Reactions: rh62531
I think a good "house cleaning" is what is truly need on Belknap campus. With UofL needing and about to get new leadership at the top it's the perfect time to get the whole package. In my opinion the only three "safe" jobs in the athletic department is our baseball, football and women's basketball coaches. We need aggressive coaches across the board that know the rules and how to adhere to them. And a little loyalty to UofL would be a nice thing as well. I'm sure there are other coaches at UofL that deserve to continue in their roles, but I just don't know who they are right now. I'm sure there are posters that DO know whom they are.

GO CARDS!!!
Mack is terrible. UL should unload him as soon as possible. It will really hit the fan when season ticket sales go down.

I am always amused when people say that Pitino did us a favor and gave us a gift by dropping his $40 million lawsuit. Actually, I laugh out loud.

Reactions: jmac1029
Don't put the cart before the horse. We need to hire a new President and AD first. Then those people should make the decisions about coaches. It doesn't make sense to fire Mack right now with an interim AD, unless you want to go to interim HC potentially for a long period of time (David Padgett, where are you?).

It might actually complicate the AD hiring process if we already have new coaches.

Also, we should wait to hire a new BB coach until the full extent of penalties is known, so the new person will know exactly what they have to deal with.

I am always amused when people say that Pitino did us a favor and gave us a gift by dropping his $40 million lawsuit. Actually, I laugh out loud.
There were no findings against Pitino, and he was fired without due process. Not to mention as far as resources to prosecute a lawsuit, the guy is richer than God.

I still regret the day he dropped the suit as it would/could have hastened the demise of clowns...

There were no findings against Pitino, and he was fired without due process. Not to mention as far as resources to prosecute a lawsuit, the guy is richer than God.

I still regret the day he dropped the suit as it would/could have hastened the demise of clowns...

Ugh…can’t say I missed your revisionist history.

Pitino was sanctioned by the NCAA. He was going to have to sit out the first 5 ACC games. He never served that because he was fired. It still remains to be seen if he gets further sanctions from Adidas scandal.

He dropped the lawsuit because he was wasting attorneys fees.

Last edited:

Pitino was sanctioned the NCAA. He was going to have to sit out the first 5 ACC games. He never served that because he was fired. It still remains to be seen if he gets further sanctions from Adidas scandal.

He also dropped the lawsuit so he could do what he’s doing now - coaching again..

Pitino was sanctioned by the NCAA. He was going to have to sit out the first 5 ACC games. He never served that because he was fired. It still remains to be seen if he gets further sanctions from Adidas scandal.

Pitino was fired on the spot because of various reports involving his assistant coach(es) and pay-for-play. There were no NCAA findings that he was responsible for anything. That's lack of evidence and due process to fire with cause.

He dropped his lawsuit reportedly to help land a coaching gig. You're fabricating a theory about "wasting attorney fees."

If there's any evidence who wastes attorney fees, call on U of L and ask what they spent to collect one freaking percent of the $80 million they sought from Doc Ramsey. Clowns on the job...

Pitino was fired on the spot because of various reports involving his assistant coach(es) and pay-for-play. There were no NCAA findings that he was responsible for anything. That's lack of evidence and due process to fire with cause.

He dropped his lawsuit reportedly to help land a coaching gig. You're fabricating a theory about "wasting attorney fees."

If there's any evidence who wastes attorney fees, call on U of L and ask what they spent to collect one freaking percent of the $80 million they sought from Doc Ramsey. Clowns on the job...
Pitino was fired “on the spot” for a series if instances that damaged / were damaging to the university. Had he continued his silly lawsuit, there would have invariably been ncaa findings that would have implicated him - or his lack of institutional control - over the program.

"Invariably" isn't an NCAA ruling, it's an opinion. There was no finding in the adidas fiasco--mostly orchestrated by U of L--when Pitino was fired.

Subsequently, the NCAA named Pitino in one Level II violation in May 2020. U of L responded with a Twitter message the following December saying...

"U of L stands firm in its position that the majority of the allegations are not supported by facts or by NCAA bylaws. Since the federal indictments were announced in September of 2017, U of L has implemented extensive corrective measures throughout its athletic department and promotes a culture of compliance. U of L looks forward to the fair resolution of this matter." (my emphasis added)​

So, not only was there not a finding when Pitino was fired; and not only was there but one Level II violation announced 2-1/2 years later; but U of L then disputed a "majority" of the allegations. Of course, that was three months after Pitino gave U of L an early Christmas gift.

You can't make this stuff up (so I don't try...)

Last edited:
"Invariably" isn't an NCAA ruling, it's an opinion. There was no finding in the adidas fiasco--mostly orchestrated by U of L--when Pitino was fired.

Subsequently, the NCAA named Pitino in one Level II violation in May 2020. U of L responded with a Twitter message the following December saying...

"U of L stands firm in its position that the majority of the allegations are not supported by facts or by NCAA bylaws. Since the federal indictments were announced in September of 2017, U of L has implemented extensive corrective measures throughout its athletic department and promotes a culture of compliance. U of L looks forward to the fair resolution of this matter." (my emphasis added)​

So, not only was there not a finding when Pitino was fired; and not only was there but one Level II violation announced 2-1/2 years later; but U of L then disputed a "majority" of the allegations. Of course, that was three months after Pitino gave U of L an early Christmas gift.

You can't make this stuff up...
zipp Dick Pitino quit because of the "stuff" that did not come out publically. His resignation/firing was because he and his massive ego did things that were punishable not only by UofL but the NCAA as well. We will probably never know the extent of these "violations" but you can bet your bottom dollar that he didn't walk away from UofL out of the goodness of his heart. He wanted to coach once again so he cut a deal with our University to cover up the extent of his involvement, or the turning of his attention away from the bullshyte that was going on in OUR basketball program. I truly believe he was a total mistake at UofL and this is from someone (me) that was a total Pitino supporter at one time. He sold us down the river to satisfy his massive ego. I sincerely hope that he never darkens our door again as a basketball coach.

GO CARDS!!!

Reactions: rh62531

He really needed to drop that lawsuit so he could take a gig in Greece. As to his firing let’s take Pitino at his word:

"Looking back on it now, I deserved to be fired by Louisville," Pitino said.

BTW I never said that Pitino didn't need to be gone from U of L in 2021. HOW you do something matters, and the clown show chose the scorched earth approach for reasons that went beyond Pitino and adidas.

And 8,000 or so empty basketball seats later, we now pay a hefty price...

BTW I never said that Pitino didn't need to be gone from U of L in 2021. HOW you do something matters, and the clown show chose the scorched earth approach for reasons that went beyond Pitino and adidas.

And 8,000 or so empty basketball seats later, we now pay a hefty price...
Hopefully, with a new AD and University President, we'll get control of that situation and rectify the whole sheebang. Hope to see you at Patterson for a game or two.

GO CARDS!!!

Reactions: earsky and zipp
Hopefully, with a new AD and University President, we'll get control of that situation and rectify the whole sheebang. Hope to see you at Patterson for a game or two.

GO CARDS!!!
Absolutely. We'll be at the Leadoff Dinner next month. Thank God there's nothing wrong with the baseball program...yet.

Reactions: earsky and gocds
Hope to see you at Patterson for a game or two.
The baseball program reminds me of the Stones song Gimme Shelter. I have found personal joy escaping to watch ballgames without all the bs. And I grew up defending my basketball team daily.

Listening to Mack’s last presser, he was questioned about Covid protocols. He seemed very flippant and dismissive in his answer. I’m not wanting to debate the protocols themselves. They are what they are. Unfortunately UofL has been a team significantly affected by Covid outbreaks on the team last year and this year. What I saw from his response was a leader who isn’t focused on the details. Someone who doesn’t have a good handle on the situation. Perhaps I’m making too much out of the clip. I contrast that with what I’ve seen and heard from Nick Saban. He seemed to have full knowledge of protocols and what his team needed to do to meet them so as to not allow his team to be derailed by this huge externality.

Listening to Mack’s last presser, he was questioned about Covid protocols. He seemed very flippant and dismissive in his answer. I’m not wanting to debate the protocols themselves. They are what they are. Unfortunately UofL has been a team significantly affected by Covid outbreaks on the team last year and this year. What I saw from his response was a leader who isn’t focused on the details. Someone who doesn’t have a good handle on the situation. Perhaps I’m making too much out of the clip. I contrast that with what I’ve seen and heard from Nick Saban. He seemed to have full knowledge of protocols and what his team needed to do to meet them so as to not allow his team to be derailed by this huge externality.
I haven't seen the presser but that sounds upsetting. Cards were one of the worst affected teams last season with the two long COVID breaks derailing the season.

Dont know who that is but congrats on his potential prognosticating
He’s a super self-important criminal defense attorney and huge yut fan. His tweet was simply him hating.

Smarmy and douchey are other words that come to mind when discussing romines.

Reactions: Knucklehank1
How many slappy Final Fours has Romines predicted since their last one? And I'm not sure his coach has broad support among the fanbase in 2022...

Reactions: gocds and Jtiger94
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT