ADVERTISEMENT

FB RECRUITING: Louisville Football Recruiting Insider

Chris Person

Oct 3, 2016
Happy Thursday everyone! I know Saturday's weather is looking, well... interesting at best... but make sure you get out to PJCS if you can. In what will likely be both Lamar Jackson and Jaire Alexander's final home game don't miss the opportunity to see them in person one more time. I know Lamar gets a ton of hype and rightfully so, but Jaire is one of the best cornerbacks I have witnessed at Louisville and will be greatly missed. Of course there is always the possibility of either coming back but at this point we have to expect neither returns. As a side note: assuming both go pro can you imagine Louisville's pro day this year? Lamar Jackson, Jaire Alexander, Stacy Thomas, Drew Bailey, Malik Williams, etc. It would shock me if ESPN didn't broadcast live from it like they did when Teddy Bridgewater was participating. Last year was my first year covering pro day and it was a blast, I can't wait to cover this years! Now, on to recruiting...

- Louisville is getting an official visit this weekend from defensive lineman Charles Cameron and with the recent decommitment of Antar Thompson, Cameron will be one to watch going forward. It doesn't sound like a decision will come this weekend but I think Louisville is in a great spot to land the 6'2" 290 pounder when it's all said and done. Cameron said that he is being recruited by Louisville as a nose tackle. As I've said in a previous post, Cameron reminds me a lot of Chris Williams who was dismissed by Louisville shortly before the 2017 season. Both are somewhat undersized but able to use their leverage well, explode off the ball, and control the line of scrimmage.

- As of right now 3-star DB commit Jarek Campbell has not scheduled an official visit with Louisville. I asked him if he was planning on setting one up and he said that he was working on his grades so he didn't think he would be able to take one. This is one to add to the watch list as far as making it to campus is concerned.

- 3-star QB James Foster is expected to visit Louisville this weekend but I don't get the sense that the Cardinals are a legitimate option for Foster. Given, that could always change following his visit. As far as an additional QB is concerned, my eyes are focused on Alontae Taylor which would work out extremely well. I don't think a 2nd quarterback in the 2018 class is absolutely needed but I can see why the staff would like to take one. Taylor is an electric athlete so even if it doesn't work out at QB he would be a top notch wide receiver.

- As I have stated previously, I'm hearing the magic number for the 2018 class is 25 total (early enrollees included). Right now Louisville's class sits at 20 which would mean there are 5 slots remaining (captain obvious here). So, which positions get these? Let's attempt to lay it out:
1. QB/ATH (Alontae Taylor)
2. WR (Jatavious Harris)
3. DL (Charles Cameron)
4. LB (Nikolas Bonitto)
5. TE (Kory Taylor?)
Bonus: DB (Johnathan Huggins, Gurvan Hall, CJ Smith)
Bonus: Dorian Gerald

As of right now I have fairly high confidence in positions 1-4 (Keep in mind this is not in any particular order). I definitely think they take a tight end in the class and it sounds like they are still recruiting Kory Taylor hard and want him. He wants to be a WR in college (he has said it wouldn't be terrible if he was moved to TE later) and likes Louisville a lot so I'm not sure how that situation would work. They could take him technically as a WR and not take a TE with the mindset of moving him to that role down the road. At one point I thought Devante Peete could grow into a tight end but I think that is long gone because he just doesn't have the frame it appears to do that. As far as the "bonus" slots, these could come from unexpected departures, either from the current recruiting class or the team. I can't speak on exactly how the scholarship situation looks and if there is any wiggle room beyond 25 but, for example, the bonus DB could be a replacement if Jarek Campbell failed to qualify.

- Due to the scholarship situation I have outlined above I am removing Tank Jenkins from my predictions list. I just don't think it is going to materialize at this point. I'm guessing Auburn will be the destination but that's literally just a guess at this point.

Reactions: ULCardinals#1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News