ADVERTISEMENT

Loss to Vandy ALL on McDonnell...like Don Zimmer

Well...there you have it!
Some players in the Vandy dugout apparently frustrated with Luke Smith’s total dominance on the mound. One or more of them reportedly hurling gay taunts at the Louisville pitcher who had made quick work of the Vandy batters. Julian Infante the third batter, striking out, specifically mouthing something in Smith’s direction.

Reactions: earsky
I thought as much.It didn't make sense that he'd just go off for nothing. I wish he'd have kept his composure,but now I see why he didn't.

Reactions: Deeva
That’s fair. I bet he’s a better young man than he showed last night. I was actually impressed with his post game comments. Unlike a few fans, he just owned that he let his emotions get the better of him and was respectful to VU and his team as well.
Again if you have never played at this level you have no idea what is said during the course of a game. This is very common. The announcers ever said it during the broadcast. One said the bench was yelling at him to challenge them with a fastball and he responded I challenge you to hit my change up. Obviously that is a g-rated version of the exchange.

That is why the players are acting like it was no big deal. You could say the Vandy barbs all game long were fueling Luke no different than Luke fueling them but not for the reason we think. They finally felt like they got to him at the end of the 8th.

2nd paragraph...

LINK

Lol, Cardinal fan boy blog, super reputable.

It is so commonplace now in society to have no accountability. "Couldn't have been Smith's fault 'cause he plays for our team."

See current state of politics in America.

Nobody is saying he wasn't at fault. We're saying he might have been provoked. He's being ostracized nationally for losing his cool. He was wrong,but what's wrong with knowing the whole story?

Fair enough! As I said, he’s probably a good kid and his post game comments were impressive after such a heartbreaking loss.

Reactions: earsky
Lol, Cardinal fan boy blog, super reputable.

It is so commonplace now in society to have no accountability. "Couldn't have been Smith's fault 'cause he plays for our team."

See current state of politics in America.
You wanted to know that it wasn't just a message board poster sounding off.

260px-River_Nile_map.svg.png

You don’t think that blogger posts on message boards?
Sure he does. And unlike most here, he's a public persona with some responsibility for what he says. Many people he talks about know who he is. Your point again??

Last edited:
Reactions: Friedas_Boss
Vandy players couldn't have been at fault 'cause they play for our team."

I know this, our guys showed their ass when we tied it up. They were warned and should have been.

Regardless, this is all silly. Two great teams played a great game. It’s a fantastic rivalry too.

See y’all boys next year (y’all should be a national title favorite).

Reactions: PushupMan
No , Luke Smith big mouth, as ESPN said on sports center, wrote a check he couldn’t cash. Should let his arm do the talking instead of his (FU) mouth. Karma is a bitch. Was pulling for you till then. Go Blue!!!

And the fact Vandy players started mouthing first I guess that’s ok. There’s trash talk in every sport it’s part of the game.

In today’s environment NOBODY should be calling someone ******. Especially in organized sports. It falls on umps/refs & coaches. They failed at bullying 101.

In today’s environment NOBODY should be calling someone ******. Especially in organized sports. It falls on umps/refs & coaches. They failed at bullying 101.
That’s what we like to believe but you can find reality as easy as attending an American Legion game (high schoolers) in NC. They start off with star spangled banner followed by the American Legion pledge (good sportsmanship) and then the game itself where players call each other fags, pu**ies, whatever it takes to get inside the other teams heads. Some coaches and parents participate as well. It’s not an anomaly, it’s all throughout baseball both college and high school.

Reactions: CardsFirst

This maybe true, but not realistic. Smith darn near made it the whole game without responding. That to me was another indication of fatigue setting in. You need to develop a toughness and ignore that crap; not saying I would have done any better when I was his age. I think he has taken the bulk of the negativity from the media and that is bologna.

Last edited:
That’s what we like to believe but you can find reality as easy as attending an American Legion game (high schoolers) in NC. They start off with star spangled banner followed by the American Legion pledge (good sportsmanship) and then the game itself where players call each other fags, pu**ies, whatever it takes to get inside the other teams heads. Some coaches and parents participate as well. It’s not an anomaly, it’s all throughout baseball both college and high school.
As bad as AL baseball has become over the years, it’s surprising those kids playing it get worked up enough to run their mouths.

This maybe true, but not realistic. Smith darn near made it the whole game without responding. That to me was another indication of fatigue setting in. You need to develop a toughness and ignore that crap; not saying I would have done any better when I was his age. I think he has taken the bulk of the negativity from the media and that is bologna.

Holy homer take of the year, Batman...

Smith was talking trash all night long. Go back and watch him after every strikeout.

Some people are delusional, but if you think Smith started the trash talking, you are beyond crazy.

Talking trash is part of it (within reason). The only reason this became an issue is because ESPN made it an issue by showing the replay of it. Vandy players weren’t out on the field, the coaches weren’t engaged, etc. Luke did let his emotions get the best of him. In the end, so what. These people wanting to criticize him most assuredly said things during play they probably shouldn’t have. Both teams I guarantee were at fault. Let’s move on.

Reactions: Friedas_Boss
Talking trash is part of it (within reason). The only reason this became an issue is because ESPN made it an issue by showing the replay of it. Vandy players weren’t out on the field, the coaches weren’t engaged, etc. Luke did let his emotions get the best of him. In the end, so what. These people wanting to criticize him most assuredly said things during play they probably shouldn’t have. Both teams I guarantee were at fault. Let’s move on.

Well said.

I've already stated that Smith showed well in the postgame quotes. He's likely a good kid.

Holy homer take of the year, Batman...

Smith was talking trash all night long. Go back and watch him after every strikeout.

Some people are delusional, but if you think Smith started the trash talking, you are beyond crazy.

I’m confused by your response as it makes no sense. First paragraph you call me a homer. Last paragraph you call me delusional for thinking Smith started the trash talking. Which was my point he was just responding.

And for the record I also said trash talking is part of the game. My point, because I believe it flew over your head was that Smith was viewed as the only one trash talking by the media. We all know Vandy was doing their fare share.

I’m confused by your response as it makes no sense. First paragraph you call me a homer. Last paragraph you call me delusional for thinking Smith started the trash talking. Which was my point he was just responding.

And for the record I also said trash talking is part of the game. My point, because I believe it flew over your head was that Smith was viewed as the only one trash talking by the media. We all know Vandy was doing their fare share.

I thought you were saying Vandy started it, which is far from the truth. The rest of your post is fair and I agree.

I thought you were saying Vandy started it, which is far from the truth. The rest of your post is fair and I agree.

I personally don’t know who started the trash talk. But I was told by individuals in the stands that Vandy had been going at it most of the game. But I was not there so I can’t personally confirm who started it.

I think you need to re-read your post. You said people were beyond delusional if they think Smith started it.

I still agree with that. If you watched that game, Smith was talking sh** from the very beginning. If you missed it, that’s one thing but he was a trash talking Jesse for sure. If you just chose to ignore it because he plays for your team, that’s a whole different level...

I still agree with that. If you watched that game, Smith was talking sh** from the very beginning. If you missed it, that’s one thing but he was a trash talking Jesse for sure. If you just chose to ignore it because he plays for your team, that’s a whole different level...
Total BS! I’m surprised you are still over on our site. Get a life!

Reactions: PHCARD
No way. I saw that kid pitch several times this season. That would be a first.
Now,did he interpret a look or something else that triggered him going off? Maybe.

Those that saw it saw it (the video is online to rewatch). Smith was talking crap after every strike out (more subtlety than the 8th inning) and it just came to a head in the 8th.

I understand if you didn’t see it.

No way. I saw that kid pitch several times this season. That would be a first.
Now,did he interpret a look or something else that triggered him going off? Maybe.

Those that saw it saw it (the video is online to rewatch). Smith was talking crap after every strike out (more subtlety than the 8th inning) and it just came to a head in the 8th.

Here’s the problem with what your saying. Unless you were at the game you have no clue what was going on, who started the trash talk who was responding. You like me can only go by what we saw on TV and you are an example of exactly the point I was making. ESPN didn’t swing the cameras once to the Vandy side strangely, so you only saw smith. Friends of mine in the stands said that Vandy players were taking trash the entire game and that it got worse as Smith owned them, until the 9th. So, you like me can’t say much you don’t know the facts. So I suggest you go home. You have the NC and all your doing now is making Vandy fans look like royal jerks.

Reactions: BPGhost and Deeva
I didn't see it and I googled "Luke Smith talking trash the whole game to Vandy"

To me,the whole thing started in the 8th. Like I said,I've seen hundreds of UofL games over the years.That sort of trash talking would be highly out of character with what Coach McDonnell instills in his kids.

Here’s the problem with what your saying. Unless you were at the game you have no clue what was going on, who started the trash talk who was responding. You like me can only go by what we saw on TV and you are an example of exactly the point I was making. ESPN didn’t swing the cameras once to the Vandy side strangely, so you only saw smith. Friends of mine in the stands said that Vandy players were taking trash the entire game and that it got worse as Smith owned them, until the 9th. So, you like me can’t say much you don’t know the facts. So I suggest you go home. You have the NC and all your doing now is making Vandy fans look like royal jerks.
That is consistent with what was being reported - Smith was making them consistently look bad with off speed and the Vandy hitters were getting frustrated. They started talking shit like, “why don’t you challenge us” and it escalated. Obviously the camera was on Smith half the game - and not the Vandy dugout - so anything he said would have been noticed.

Vandy fans monitoring this board for some perceived slights or looking to correct the record in some 4th hand way is beyond pathetic.

Reactions: Deeva and earsky
Alright,my last words on this. When I saw some of what Smith said after the whole thing,it came to me that his over exuberance,celebrating some of his strikeouts,must have struck a nerve or two earlier in the game with some of the Dores. He says that his celebrations on K's are no different than when it goes the other way...the other guys getting to him on a pitch,etc....

Makes sense. There was a back and forth going without words being spoke for a good part of the game. It escalated in the 8th.

It’s time to put this to bed. Everyone who followed U of L this year knows that Luke is a little bit “animated” whether he’s pitching or cheering the team on from the dugout. He also wears glasses and that seems to make him a target. If he had long hair it would also make him a target. I got a real close of this in the Regionals when he almost pitched a complete game. He was animated after every out and even when he tried to shake off coach Mac when he came out to take him out of the game. The difference between that game and the Vandy game was that Luke directed his antics directly towards the dugout and players. It’s part of baseball. I didn’t have a problem with him doing it as long as he backed it up. But he couldn’t and they got into his head. He will learn hopefully to keep some of that in check. In college, kids don’t worry about bat flips, making gestures when they get on base, things they don’t let you get away with in the bigs.

I’m glad you found your way to the baseball forum. Too bad it was after the season was over. Great input for a troll.
Been posting here since the fall little buddy. Given how - when you’re not being zippy’s hand puppet - you seem to follow me around, I would have thought you would have known that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT