ADVERTISEMENT

Lipscomb Bisons

earsky

Four-Star Poster
Jan 12, 2010
Time change to 4:00 today looking for that window of decent weather.
Bisons are 10-10 and their best games look like the weekend series against #18 Georgia two weekends ago when they were swept but played competitive baseball.
They were swept at home this past weekend by Jacksonville St.
Luke Seed or Moose?

Last edited:
Moose. Has to be - right? You have Seed, Koger, Galvan, Ferris, Robinson (to name a few) for relief.

I don't think I need to say that the Cards cannot lose these type games against teams ranked where the Bisons are(around 230).
We'll see their best shot today for sure. Gotta get after them early and often.

Moose. Has to be - right? You have Seed, Koger, Galvan, Ferris, Robinson (to name a few) for relief.
Well,there were two midweek games last week. Idk,unless Seed has pushed his way past Moose.

Fine with me TBH. Seed needs the work. We need Seed and Lohman to get in the groove.

Seed struggling with high pitches - same as his last outing. Just not bending that back and following through.

Reactions: earsky
What was McDonnell thinking? Seed should have been removed before giving up the 3 run homer. I guess he has confidence we're going to score some runs but so far it looks like both players and coach are going through the motions on playing Lipscomb on a Tuesday.

Metzinger's mental baserunning error showed me a lack of focus. He wasn't thinking to himself not what to do if the ball was hit to his right. He just reacted and it was a bad reaction.

The Cards have made hard contact but right at defenders so far. That needs to change. Cannot lose to this team.

I agree,plus the guy was a righty. Seed not impressive at all. Idk,next guy up on midweek starter.

I’ll never understand bunting with two outs with runners in scoring position, especially when momentum apparently turned after the run scoring error. Knap will likely have another error now just to further infuriate me.

I’ll never understand bunting with two outs with runners in scoring position, especially when momentum apparently turned after the run scoring error. Knap will likely have another error now just to further infuriate me.
Bunting makes no sense especially when you are behind 2 and you have been sqauring up a bunch of balls.

Guys just don't look locked in at the plate and unlike most sports, baseball upsets are more common. A few years ago I believe a 100 loss Orioles team actually won 3 out of 6 games against a 100 win Cubs team.

Louisville has just 4 hits through 6 innings. They just wasn't mentally prepared to play today.

Reactions: Bardman
Back in high school we played a double header against Bishop David. We were something like 14 and 2 and they were 4 and 15. We won the first game 14 to 1 against their top pitcher. I was a cool 3 for 3 with 3 runs and 2 RBI.

In the second game we lost 5 to 4 and scored those runs in the top of the 9th inning. I hit into a double play to end the game as I went 0 for 4. We couldn't believe we lost to that team. Coach told us we weren't ready to play and in baseball, that will get you beat. It's such a mental game. Plenty of time to think.

Walks, lack of defensive plays, etc. These are killers.

This game is all about the mental approach in the batter‘s box. I expected the Cards would give up 5 or 6 runs but figured another double digit run output was in the offering.

But the guys just haven't had the determination at the plate because of who they're playing. They figure the next guy will get the big hit and everything will be fun again.

Suddenly they're down 5 to 2 in the 8th inning. Let's see if they're more dialed in at the plate now. It's not looking good.

When they do hit the ball it goes right to someone. They just said they have left 9 guys on base today ☠️

I guess this loss won't matter if the Cards continue to win ACC games but it should be a wake-up call. It's not just going to happen because it has been happening. You constantly have to be focused on the baseball field or you will lose to anyone. The guys today were probably thinking about other things in their lives when preparing to play today. After all they're playing Lipscomb.

Reactions: Bardman
It happens. They clearly weren’t ready. Baseball is mental especially at the plate. If you aren’t locked you can go 0-4 in a hurry.

Terrible at bats with runners in scoring position. To not plate anyone tells the story.

I don't think I need to say that the Cards cannot lose these type games against teams ranked where the Bisons are(around 230).
We'll see their best shot today for sure. Gotta get after them early and often.

Terrible at bats with runners in scoring position. To not plate anyone tells the story.
Saw a lot of the same thing in the last two against ND,lost in the sweep of the Irish. It's a spillover and not good.

Should have seen a letdown coming with this team. Disappointing.
I was at the park early and had to leave in the fifth,but it wasn't hard to see they came into it flat from closeup.
The problem is,you'd think they learned from it happening several times last year.

The last sequence is all you needed to see to explain this game. Hawkins run doesn’t matter and he is taking a secondary lead like it did.

A lot of games it is gong to happen.

I was at the park early and had to leave in the fifth,but it wasn't hard to see they came into it flat from closeup.
The problem is,you'd think they learned from it happening several times last year.
Leadership, whether that be from the captains or the staff, lack of it is the issue.

We're 141st nationally in runs allowed per game (5.7). LINK

We're gonna be in trouble when we only score 2...
Yeah,somebody posted the other day that we had scored 31 against Notre Dame and that's great,but 16 were on Friday night and 12 of the other 15 runs came in the last two innings on Saturday and Sunday. Fourteen innings on Saturday and Sunday we scored 3.

We were all rightfully concerned about the bullpen a few weeks ago and even now,but I'm not liking what I'm seeing at the plate,despite a few guys having fantastic seasons.

Reactions: zipp
True. Better discipline at the plate is needed. However, my biggest pet peeve over the years with CDM (as if he would care) is I think he leaves pitchers in too long - perfect example is Seed yesterday.

True. Better discipline at the plate is needed. However, my biggest pet peeve over the years with CDM (as if he would care) is I think he leaves pitchers in too long - perfect example is Seed yesterday.
Agree. It was painfully obvious yesterday. The kid was really struggling to get anything in the zone and Williams was a right handed batter.

...We were all rightfully concerned about the bullpen a few weeks ago and even now,but I'm not liking what I'm seeing at the plate,despite a few guys having fantastic seasons.
It's early, but we're mostly enjoying the results so far.

My concern is that this year is looking a lot like last year. The bats carried us early. And when they stopped, we started having problems winning games.

It's why the model of strong pitching and defense is so successful, as McDonnell has proven in spades. I'm not a style points guy, so HOW we win is not that important to me. It's just harder to sustain great hitting esp. when that's not how your program was built...

Reactions: Bardman and earsky
Agree Bardman ……. allowing our pitchers to remain on the mound when it is evident they have no ability to stay in the strike zone is both puzzling and destructive to team morale.

High velocity (90+) is pretty common these days, but not nearly as effective as those with control, and particularly those who have command of their location.

Lipscomb strategy to change pitchers so often, contributed to our kids inability to see that same pitcher more than once, was most effective.

Seed, if he is going to work his way back in the rotation even as a mid week starter has to build arm strength again. He can only do that in real game stress situations. We have to find a consistent 3rd, 4th or 5th starter if we want any postseason aspirations.

Don’t necessarily disagree re: Seed. But, pitching is pitching. Get him in for 1-3 innings when you can and the more he throws in games hopefully the better he gets. Whether it is a pressure situation or not you have to make pitches. He has been high in the strike zone and gotten behind in the count every time I have seen him pitch.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT