ADVERTISEMENT

Just got home from games today....

ULSports

Five-Star Poster
May 29, 2001
I have to say this....the home plate ump who ejected McAvene better NEVER show his face in Louisville ever again. Worthless, is the nicest thing I can say about him. And he should be banned from ever umping a post-season NCAA tournament game for the remainder of his career. If he is that "thin skinned" he has NO business being an umpire. Period.

The ejection needs to be appealed - period. The bump should be suspended for a couple of games not McAvene.

No appeal, unfortunately. Rules don’t allow one.
True. And that rule means McAvene has to be FOUR games after the ejection. But that BS Ump still gets to call games? He should be fined. He also had a BS call get overturned today on the play at 3rd. Not exactly poetic justice, but as close as we will get.

The rule itself is just so poorly thought out. You just wonder how baseball people who know the college game can come up with it.

A starting pitcher gets 4 games. It basically has little impact. They just move back a start, or are available in long relief. No real penalty. (Your Friday starter gets 4 games. He just starts on Saturday next week and the Saturday guy starts Friday. No real penalty)

A position player gets 1 game missed. Minor penalty.

A reliever gets 4 games...a real 4 games. If it's a setup guy or a closer, they might pitch in 3or 4 games in a week. So a real punishment.

It's like saying if your a center you get 2 FTs for a tech. A forward gets assessed 4 FTs for a tech, and a guard gets 8 FTs assessed for a tech. Not equitable.

The rule itself is just so poorly thought out. You just wonder how baseball people who know the college game can come up with it.

A starting pitcher gets 4 games. It basically has little impact. They just move back a start, or are available in long relief. No real penalty. (Your Friday starter gets 4 games. He just starts on Saturday next week and the Saturday guy starts Friday. No real penalty)

A position player gets 1 game missed. Minor penalty.

A reliever gets 4 games...a real 4 games. If it's a setup guy or a closer, they might pitch in 3or 4 games in a week. So a real punishment.

It's like saying if your a center you get 2 FTs for a tech. A forward gets assessed 4 FTs for a tech, and a guard gets 8 FTs assessed for a tech. Not equitable.
There is no distinction between starter and reliever. It just says a pitcher gets 4 games but the intent was to punish a starting pitcher possibly one start. The rule needs to be revised or changed.

There is no distinction between starter and reliever. It just says a pitcher gets 4 games but the intent was to punish a starting pitcher possibly one start. The rule needs to be revised or changed.
How many times have we all put a new policy in place and later say how in the world did we not think of that unintended consequence. How in the world was there not one guy on the competition committee asking what if a reliever gets tossed? If the intent of the rule was 1 game for the starting pitcher which it clearly is then someone at the NCAA should clarify. I am sorry 4 games is ridiculous.

You have adults calling refs everything in the book and none of them get this kind of punishment,

How many times have we all put a new policy in place and later say how in the world did we not think of that unintended consequence. How in the world was there not one guy on the competition committee asking what if a reliever gets tossed? If the intent of the rule was 1 game for the starting pitcher which it clearly is then someone at the NCAA should clarify. I am sorry 4 games is ridiculous.

You have adults calling refs everything in the book and none of them get this kind of punishment,
I don’t think you understand. If the rule was one game for a starting pitcher, he would never be punished because starting pitchers only pitch once every 3-4 games. This way it would ensure a pitcher would be punished equally as a position player who has to sit out one game. Nobody took relief pitchers into consideration. Apparently it doesn’t happen often. Two mistakes were made, the umpire over reacted but McAvene has to control his emotions and not react to the balls and strikes. Every pitcher knows that.

I don’t think you understand. If the rule was one game for a starting pitcher, he would never be punished because starting pitchers only pitch once every 3-4 games. This way it would ensure a pitcher would be punished equally as a position player who has to sit out one game. Nobody took relief pitchers into consideration. Apparently it doesn’t happen often. Two mistakes were made, the umpire over reacted but McAvene has to control his emotions and not react to the balls and strikes. Every pitcher knows that.
The kid is a competitor - and he was reacting to what could have been the final strike of the game. His reaction was beyond mild - he didn’t yell, he didn’t curse and he was not demonstrative in any objective way that could have been deemed showing up the umpire. Any halfway decent umpire that has moved beyond machine pitch wouldn’t have even said anything and even the unreasonable ones would have warned the kid.

That guy is a one a million type jackass.

The kid is a competitor - and he was reacting to what could have been the final strike of the game. His reaction was beyond mild - he didn’t yell, he didn’t curse and he was not demonstrative in any objective way that could have been deemed showing up the umpire. Any halfway decent umpire that has moved beyond machine pitch wouldn’t have even said anything and even the unreasonable ones would have warned the kid.

That guy is a one a million type jackass.
Don’t dispute that. He said “that’s horrible.” What was he referring to? Most pitchers turn and yell something into their glove to mask what they are saying. How many b-ball players get technicals for what is perceived as showing up a referee? The ump, in my opinion, over reacted. I know you just want to find something to argue about or disagree with me but stay in your lane, please.

Does anyone recall whether McAvene or any other UofL pitcher had complained about a ball/strike call earlier in the game? I ask because it’s possible that the ump had been dealing with that crap the entire game and just decided he had had enough.

Having time to process it, at that moment in the game there was a lot of pressure. IU was mounting a comeback, McAvene was getting shaky, the crowd was anxious, maybe the ump got caught up in the moment. I'm not making excuses for him. The POS should never work a college game ever again. Just trying to make sense of it. Oh, well. It's behind us now.

Does anyone recall whether McAvene or any other UofL pitcher had complained about a ball/strike call earlier in the game? I ask because it’s possible that the ump had been dealing with that crap the entire game and just decided he had had enough.
Unless you have been an umpire, you don’t know half the shit you’re subject to. Guys will cuss, say “are you kidding me,” c’mon man but none of those are seemingly directed at the umpire unless you look them in the eye. I know it all seems petty at times, baseball has its quirkiness. Guys could have been complaining about the strike zone all game long. Not making excuses, the umpire should have gave a warning and over reacted in the situation.

I completely understand, the intent was for a starting pitching to miss 1 start. A reliever is no different than a positional player, they could literally throw Wed, Fri, Sat, and Sun. No different than a kid that is DH. They never took the reliever, who is like a everyday player, into account which is my point. A four game suspension for saying that's terrible. When you have bad rules it only makes these situations worse.

I completely understand, the intent was for a starting pitching to miss 1 start. A reliever is no different than a positional player, they could literally throw Wed, Fri, Sat, and Sun. No different than a kid that is DH. They never took the reliever, who is like a everyday player, into account which is my point. A four game suspension for saying that's terrible. When you have bad rules it only makes these situations worse.
It’s possible that they did take some consideration regarding a reliever, albeit, it’s still wrong. Suspending a position player for 1 game means 9 innings. A relief pitcher may pitch 2 innings, closers usually 1. To suspend a relief pitcher for 1 game might mean 2 innings, so there may have been some thought for 4 games = 9 innings.

Yeah,we really don't have anybody in McAvene's league as far as a closer. It's crushing to our chances,to say the least.

Miller was tried in that spot,maybe for the reasons we are seeing now. Kiernan was coming off a rocky year and is really a middle relief guy that's inherited that closer spot next to McAvene.
I'm curious if McAvene can be replaced on the roster for those 4 games by Perkins,Wright or Albanese. Sorry if that's already been touched on.

It’s possible that they did take some consideration regarding a reliever, albeit, it’s still wrong. Suspending a position player for 1 game means 9 innings. A relief pitcher may pitch 2 innings, closers usually 1. To suspend a relief pitcher for 1 game might mean 2 innings, so there may have been some thought for 4 games = 9 innings.[/QUOTE
Hard to say how they came up with the rule but the intent of the rule is clear a starting pitcher and position player was to miss 1 game. Why would a pitcher be penalized more than a positional player?

It sounded like although there is not an appeal process for this scenario...UofL was still ‘challenging’ the decision. I think maybe in hopes someone with an ounce of logic would review the situation and overturn the decision. He missed two games already which is more than enough. Right now the young man man never pitch on his home field again because of a piss poor call and a gutless NCAA.

I don’t think you can overturn the decision at this point. You have to wait until a rule change. If you did overturn it, who’s to say that players don’t push the limits with the umpires in the Super Regionals and CWS?

Yeah,we really don't have anybody in McAvene's league as far as a closer. It's crushing to our chances,to say the least.

Miller was tried in that spot,maybe for the reasons we are seeing now. Kiernan was coming off a rocky year and is really a middle relief guy that's inherited that closer spot next to McAvene.
I'm curious if McAvene can be replaced on the roster for those 4 games by Perkins,Wright or Albanese. Sorry if that's already been touched on.
Perkins is hurt is my understanding. Kirian is the guy who inherits the closer spot based on numbers. He has the next highest number of saves (4) compared to McAvene (7). Kirian also has a better ERA and about the same Strikeout to walk ratio. The guy who might make some sense is Luke Smith who has the personality of a closer; however he just showed how valuable he is as a 4th or 5th starter.
Smiddy, Elliott and Hoeing are your middle relief guys.

So,during these next 2 suspension games,can CM add someone to the 27 man roster?

As far as I know, we don’t have a JV or club team.
The roster was trimmed to 27 for Regionals. Kerry Wright did not dress last weekend. Is he hurt too? I don't think Perkins is hurt. Albanese was left off too.

I just read that the university can allow up to four additional personnel, but I think guys are left off the roster because they’re not expected to be able to play. I couldn’t see not having a pitcher who’s able to pitch, left off the roster unless they can’t pitch.

Scratch that on the 4 additional personnel. Those are trainers and other staff. I do know that there are at 3-4 players who are not in uniform, only jerseys and shorts. One of them them is Wright I know. The others I don’t know without a uniform #, but I know Perkins and Albanese are not in a uniform.

Yeah,I tried to research it and came up empty. I'm still confused.

So our roster was 38. I tried digging around today to see if there is a limit for NCAA and couldn’t find anything. I find it hard to believe that it would be a limit of 27?

Yes our regular season roster is 38. However what was in uniform today was 26 + McAvene’s Jersey = 27. Plus as I said before there were 3-4 players in shorts and t shirts. The guys who weren’t wearing jerseys are:
Bianco
Borden
Metzinger
Wright
Munster
Benefield
Dickey
Albanese
Perkins
Zimmerman
Sullivan
That’s 11 guys. 38-11=27.
The mystery is how hurt is Perkins, Wright and Albanese. It doesn’t make sense if they were healthy that they wouldn’t be on the roster instead of Masterson.

It doesn’t make sense if they were healthy that they wouldn’t be on the roster instead of Masterson.
This is a really good question and I'm sure Masterson probably was the last spot on that roster with some serious hair splitting between CM and Coach Williams. Schmeltz probably the last pitcher taken,with the thinking that maybe the pen was strong enough to have a guy like Masterson able to pinch hit late in a game against a lefty closer. Idk.

Yes our regular season roster is 38. However what was in uniform today was 26 + McAvene’s Jersey = 27. Plus as I said before there were 3-4 players in shorts and t shirts. The guys who weren’t wearing jerseys are:
Bianco
Borden
Metzinger
Wright
Munster
Benefield
Dickey
Albanese
Perkins
Zimmerman
Sullivan
That’s 11 guys. 38-11=27.
The mystery is how hurt is Perkins, Wright and Albanese. It doesn’t make sense if they were healthy that they wouldn’t be on the roster instead of Masterson.
I just notice that autocorrect changed Mundt to Munster. Sorry if I offended anyone.

This is a really good question and I'm sure Masterson probably was the last spot on that roster with some serious hair splitting between CM and Coach Williams. Schmeltz probably the last pitcher taken,with the thinking that maybe the pen was strong enough to have a guy like Masterson able to pinch hit late in a game against a lefty closer. Idk.
I don’t think Masterson or even Rumoro get a bat if it wasn’t for the lopsided score.

From what i understand Ncaa teams are limited to a 35 man roster. For any given series they must declare 27 of those that are eligible to play in that series.

Reactions: PHCARD and earsky
don’t think Masterson or even Rumoro get a bat if it wasn’t for the lopsided score.
I'm just playing devil's advocate. Rumoro is a senior. Can't think of any other reason that Masterson would be kept on.

I'm just playing devil's advocate. Rumoro is a senior. Can't think of any other reason that Masterson would be kept on.
Rumoro is a catcher. You always need extra catchers, especially if you need to warm up say a lefty and a righty or just two pitchers at the same time. I’m telling you there has to be a reason for Wright, Perkins and Albanese not to be on the roster.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT