ADVERTISEMENT

JUCO Guard Koron Davis Commits

This season, the 6-foot-7 shooting guard is averaging 25.3 points, 7.2 rebounds, and 3.3 assists per game. Davis is also shooting 48.7% from the field, 33.8% from three, and 81.3% from the free-throw line.

The Gary, Ind. native spent his freshman season with Paris Community College in Texas, averaging 15.7 points and 6.6 rebounds per game. He played his high school ball at Gary (Ind.) Bowman Academy.

I hope the kid comes in and has a nice career here, but he certainly doesn’t seem like the level of player that Kenny needs to start winning.

Reactions: Cardiac Red
Anyone watch Last Chance U on Netflix? Feels like we just got one of their kids and they don’t even start for their respective mid major programs lol

Hard to understand how anyone can find criticism over this commitmen! Wow, a 6’7” guard who excelled at baseball as well as basketball ……. not sure, but perhaps KP remembers how successful Denny was with tall and athletic guards posting down low in a 1-3-1 offense.

Hard to understand how anyone can find criticism over this commitmen! Wow, a 6’7” guard who excelled at baseball as well as basketball ……. not sure, but perhaps KP remembers how successful Denny was with tall and athletic guards posting down low in a 1-3-1 offense.
I’m not going to declare that this kid won’t help us, but to be fair the criticism is definitely warranted. We’ll all see together what he can do on the court come November. The days of under the radar recruits is over. Everyone in college basketball knows who these kids are and what they’re capable of. It seems like our staff is truly the only one out there that thought this guy was worthy of a shot. He is a guard with more turnovers than assists and that’s a skill set that we already have on the roster in abundance. I guess if he comes in and balls out at an ACC level of play, then Kenny will prove to be a better judge of talent than all of the rest of college hoops. I don’t see it.

The 1-3-1 offense is Kryptonite to a 2-3 defense if you have someone who can pass from high post. Not so much vs. a man to man. I can't understand why more teams don't use it.

So we were sold KP was an all star recruiter now we're reduced to having to be excited about a juco from a school we've never heard of and a player from an African league.. What's wrong with this picture.?

I am not suggesting KP has found buried treasure here, but starting out with criticism of kids we have never seen play before is unfair to both of these athletes. UL has had it both ways; highly rated recruits that were disappointing, as well as unheralded recruits who exceed expectations; as well as kids who left one program with limited success, only to find great success after transferring elsewhere.

Reactions: Louisvillian
The kid has good handles especially for someone 6’7” and he is athletic. His shooting form is rough - weird arm action and starts too low. I cannot find anywhere about other offers he had??

I think it is fair to question the player but again people are already projecting him as a failed recruit. He may be a bench player. To me that is great. You have to have a bench that pushes every spot.

My concern is KP’s desire to have long and athletic players at all spots on the floor. I think offensively it is a unicorn. There just aren’t very many 6-5, 6-6 and 6-7 players that are quick enough with the basketball skills to run offensive what he wants to run.

Defensively-I think he could create a nightmare team with really athletic guys that play with a lot of energy.

Next year so far

Lands-6-7
Davis 6-7
James 6-5
Williams-6-6
Glynn-6-8
Traynor-6-9
Fabio 6-5
Okafor 6-9

If the effort is there they are long and athletic enough to be good on defense.

To me, there is a really clear distinction between criticizing the player before he even gets here and criticizing the recruiting that led to his commitment. It would be grossly unfair to a kid who’s simply trying to achieve the highest level he can in his search for a college. I truly would never do that. It is absolutely valid to question why our once proud program is going out and signing kids that no other P5 schools have any interest in. Like I said, the kid may turn out to be a diamond in the rough, but I believe it’s a huge stretch to expect it. We need kids that can come in and very quickly contribute at the highest level. We already have backup caliber players.

To me, there is a really clear distinction between criticizing the player before he even gets here and criticizing the recruiting that led to his commitment. It would be grossly unfair to a kid who’s simply trying to achieve the highest level he can in his search for a college. I truly would never do that. It is absolutely valid to question why our once proud program is going out and signing kids that no other P5 schools have any interest in. Like I said, the kid may turn out to be a diamond in the rough, but I believe it’s a huge stretch to expect it. We need kids that can come in and very quickly contribute at the highest level. We already have backup caliber players.
👆
Very well put.

I am not suggesting KP has found buried treasure here, but starting out with criticism of kids we have never seen play before is unfair to both of these athletes. UL has had it both ways; highly rated recruits that were disappointing, as well as unheralded recruits who exceed expectations; as well as kids who left one program with limited success, only to find great success after transferring elsewhere.
Just to put this in perspective, do you think NC, Duke, Kansas, KY, UCLA, Arizona or hell even Indiana (that's the neighborhood we live in) would be out recruiting kids like these ?... Hell No ! This is just more proof KP doesn't have a F'n clue what he's doing..

Reactions: TPACardsFan
I don’t think we expected Russ Smith, Kyle Kuric, and Knowles to have the kind of impact they did on Louisville basketball. Nothing in the recruiting world suggested they be starters for this proud program.

My point is we don’t know but we still act like we do know the future. There are 13 spots on a roster what is the harm in taking him?

Rick Pitino takes him crickets. KP takes him what the hell is he doing. I get it.

I understand the expectations on the recruiting front but this proud program has always found guys off the radar. Rick and Denny both did it.

I'm not going to rag on Davis before he ever plays here, but I definitely understand the skepticism. If Payne had shown ability to really develop guys then I'm sure more fans would be willing to give Davis and Payne the benefit of the doubt.

As it stands now, Payne and Co. have not given fans any glimmers of hope.

Reactions: BPGhost
I don’t think we expected Russ Smith, Kyle Kuric, and Knowles to have the kind of impact they did on Louisville basketball. Nothing in the recruiting world suggested they be starters for this proud program.

My point is we don’t know but we still act like we do know the future. There are 13 spots on a roster what is the harm in taking him?

Rick Pitino takes him crickets. KP takes him what the hell is he doing. I get it.

I understand the expectations on the recruiting front but this proud program has always found guys off the radar. Rick and Denny both did it.
Well KP ain't Rick or Denny for beginners. Those guys earned the right to take a flyer on some kids. KP better be finding some lead pipe cinches because he can't coach..!

Doesn't matter, he's not going to be back next year anyway..

Reactions: vivid_red
I believe anyone who could hold their nose for those 40 minutes last night, at least had an opportunity to see half of the the two "no name recruits" that KP as attracted over the last several weeks.

Okorafor was the only bit of encouragement in his relatively brief introduction, and while it it way too premature to be projecting a long term outlook for his contribution to this UL BB Program; I think it gives some indication that Okorafor is well worth the scholarship and may possibly turn out to be a real GEM after all.

I am not trying to compare Okorafor with Oscar Tshiebwe in terms of talent, or even potential; however I would ask those who question the signing of Okorafor as to whether they knew who Tshiebwe was when he spent 2 years at WV before becoming POY at UK?

It is true, Duke, Kansas and UNC probably have no idea as to who Okorafor was in Africa, but not sure they were pursuing Tshiebwe either when UK signed him. KP has been a disaster as UL's HC, but it does not mean he cannot recruit a kid capable of playing exceptional basketball here.

• Haha
Reactions: BPGhost
Forget the player I think the real talking point is Payne’s roster construction. This year is a great example that length without quickness is a disaster.

They have no chance defensively. The lack of quickness and speed is evident. Not only do they get beat they can’t close the gap either.

Same on offense the length does no good if players can’t dribble or pass. All the wing guys are average to terrible ball skills. Any physical defense leads to a turnover.

With his roster philosophy taking a guy like Davis makes sense. It fits. The problem like many have said is the chance of this guy being able to guard, create and
distribute at this level is questionable. Now if it works the 5 star can see how he would fit in the system.

“Tshiebwe announced a final four of Kentucky, West Virginia, Baylor and Illinois for his services on Twitter in August.

The standout from Kennedy Catholic High School in Pennsylvania is a 5-star prospect ranked as the No. 8 center and No. 22 overall player in the 2019 recruiting class by 247Sports.” Also he started all 31 games as a freshman at WVU and was second team all Big 12 and a unanimous selection to the all frosh team.

2330859 has me blocked but if someone could let him know Oscar was a five star player out of high school. He originally chose WVU over a bunch of high major schools including UK.

Reactions: Cardiac Red
I believe anyone who could hold their nose for those 40 minutes last night, at least had an opportunity to see half of the the two "no name recruits" that KP as attracted over the last several weeks.

Okorafor was the only bit of encouragement in his relatively brief introduction, and while it it way too premature to be projecting a long term outlook for his contribution to this UL BB Program; I think it gives some indication that Okorafor is well worth the scholarship and may possibly turn out to be a real GEM after all.

I am not trying to compare Okorafor with Oscar Tshiebwe in terms of talent, or even potential; however I would ask those who question the signing of Okorafor as to whether they knew who Tshiebwe was when he spent 2 years at WV before becoming POY at UK?

It is true, Duke, Kansas and UNC probably have no idea as to who Okorafor was in Africa, but not sure they were pursuing Tshiebwe either when UK signed him. KP has been a disaster as UL's HC, but it does not mean he cannot recruit a kid capable of playing exceptional basketball here.
“Tshiebwe announced a final four of Kentucky, West Virginia, Baylor and Illinois for his services on Twitter in August.

The standout from Kennedy Catholic High School in Pennsylvania is a 5-star prospect ranked as the No. 8 center and No. 22 overall player in the 2019 recruiting class by 247Sports.” Also he started all 31 games as a freshman at WVU and was second team all Big 12 and a unanimous selection to the all frosh team.

2330859 has me blocked but if someone could let him know Oscar was a five star player out of high school. He originally chose WVU over a bunch of high major schools including UK.
I gotcha.

Reactions: Knucklehank1
The schools mentioned were Duke, Kansas and UNC; I do not consider WVU in the same category with the aforementioned.

Sadly, we do not belong in that category either right now, and we might end up be most grateful for whoever actually signs on here as long as KP is HC.

I wish the reality was different, but if UL fans are any indication as to the level of faith in KP, recruits are unlikely to be inclined to honor their verbal commitments.

Reactions: OldhamCard335
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT