ADVERTISEMENT

BREAKING: John Calipari To Arkansas

Nothing shocking in the least about this. Not even surprising. The handwriting was all over the wall.

Reactions: BooneCo_Card
i don't see how any coach will survive long at Kentucky. better get a big bag of money.

annual trips to the tournament and #1 classes with future NBA players are not good enough.
and the fans got hostile after 2 consecutive narrow home losses against Florida and Tennessee, who went to the Elite 8.

You can only run a scam for so long even at SuCk. Even they figured it out although it took them a long time to do so. Just winning at Arkansas is fine SuCk is about NC’s.
It's a better situation for Cal. He still gets money and resources to succeed but tons less pressure and doesn't have to constantly deal with a foaming at the mouth BBN.

Does he take his incoming class with him?
He's trying to do that. They're saying calls went out to his recruits saying to flip to Arkansas. Also he got assurances to be able to bring his freshman class and that Arky would accept transfers along with a promised load of NIL money.

The SEC likes to keep it in the family.

deliverance GIF

i think he knew his dominance over us was done when he saw we hired a coach that can actually coach.
He dominated us when Mack coached us and when Pitino coached us. We had nothing to do with it. In fact, I think it was his obsession with beating Cal that drove Pitino to look the other way in the latter part of his tenure- and started our long, painful slide.

I mean this in all seriousness, I don't know why a top tier/established coach would want to go to UK. You are gonna have to rebuild, which can be done but everyone knows how "patient" UK fans are.

As much as I hate to admit it, the first 8-10 years of the Cal UK era was an incredible run (3 Elite 8's, 3 F4's, and 1 NC) All of that got him run out of town a few years later. Tubby won a NC in his first year and then he started to feel the heat a few years later. What does this new coach expect to happen?

We will hear UK fans spit out some big name candidates the next few days but...

Duke hired a guy with zero career wins
North Carolina hired a guy with zero career wins
Indiana hired a guy with zero career wins
Arizona hired a guy with zero career wins
Villanova hired a guy with 16 career wins (at Fordham)
UCLA hired a guy from a mid major

UK fans could be in for a rude awakening. Sometimes these things work out but sometimes they don't.

It was coming you could just tell he was looking to get out. That job like Louisville requires a special coach. The SEC just gets better and better. Every loss and every early round bounce is the end of the world.

They won't get Drew either. I doubt going from scrub bush Waco to lessington will be a better tranfer than UofL if his reasoning for not leaving holds water .

Yut fans like to delude themselves into believing it’s a destination job but, 3 of their last 4 coaches have left on their own for other jobs and only one, could you possibly suggest was a step up.

The reality is - it’s a terrible job. Lots of money but, there’s lots of money everywhere. What there isn’t everywhere - soul crushing pressure and scrutiny from a fan base of lunatics. It’s the Panthers Eating Faces fan base.

Cow was built for that job, and they ate his face anyway. Other coaches will take note.

I don't see a high profile coach who's winning move to a place where you get your a$$ chewed after every loss and second guessed by toothless rednecks for every decision you make. Like you said, money is everywhere. Happiness however won't be found 60 miles to the east.

I don't see a high profile coach who's winning move to a place where you get your a$$ chewed after every loss and second guessed by toothless rednecks for every decision you make. Like you said, money is everywhere. Happiness however won't be found 60 miles to the east.
I had SuCk fan try to tell me we weren’t a top ten job anymore. I said what makes you say that? His answer was well no one wanted to coach Louisville. Me: well it’s not exactly that simple and wouldn’t start crowing just yet. Well we’re UK and I responded you do remember how you ended up with Gillespie? Not saying it’s not a top job, but that doesn’t always guarantee a great hire anymore.
I think we did fine with getting Kelsey.

Reactions: Deeva
Scott Drew is a top notch coach and even if he doesn’t have Cal level players, he’s a much better coach. Give him a top 3 roster in college and he’ll be solid.

I now officially hate him if he’s a Cat, but unlike Calipari I actually do have somewhat respect for the guy.

I do generally believe he didn’t take our job because he knew Cal’s days were numbered and he was being patient.

Scott Drew is a top notch coach and even if he doesn’t have Cal level players, he’s a much better coach. Give him a top 3 roster in college and he’ll be solid.

I now officially hate him if he’s a Cat, but unlike Calipari I actually do have somewhat respect for the guy.

I do generally believe he didn’t take our job because he knew Cal’s days were numbered and he was being patient.
Maybe but, I still think that he’s a terrible fit for that job and, will (like most since rupp) end up regretting taking it.

By all accounts despite the negative issues in his past, he’s a quiet devoutly religious guy coaching at a small(er) Baptist college where he is loved and he’s had success including a title. Leaving that for some extra money but all of the nonsense that accompanies the Yut position - would be a bad move on his part IMO.

big hillbilly nation would eat him alive, and it wouldn’t take long.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT