ADVERTISEMENT

It's officially bad when you get a mention on ESPN's Bottom 10

PushupMan

25000+
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
I enjoy reading Ryan McGee's Bottom 10 feature on ESPN.com every week. Always so well-written....

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...918/bottom-10-favorite-losers-ones-cover-them

But I certainly don't love that Louisville is in the Bottom 10 Waiting List this week. Definitely didn't think that a Petrino-coached UofL team would ever end up on this list:

Waiting List: UNC Achilles' Heels (1-3), Lou-ugh-ville (2-4), Ar-kan't-saw (1-5), Central Michigan Chippy-was (1-5), Boiling Green State (1-5), State of Kent (1-5), Western Kentucky Hillstoppers (1-4), Liberty Fightin' Falwells (2-3), Living on Tulsa Time (1-4), Old Duh-minions (1-5), the team that lost to Old Duh-minions (3-2), political tweets invading our Saturday afternoon timelines.

I enjoy reading Ryan McGee's Bottom 10 feature on ESPN.com every week. Always so well-written....

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...918/bottom-10-favorite-losers-ones-cover-them

But I certainly don't love that Louisville is in the Bottom 10 Waiting List this week. Definitely didn't think that a Petrino-coached UofL team would ever end up on this list:

Waiting List: UNC Achilles' Heels (1-3), Lou-ugh-ville (2-4), Ar-kan't-saw (1-5), Central Michigan Chippy-was (1-5), Boiling Green State (1-5), State of Kent (1-5), Western Kentucky Hillstoppers (1-4), Liberty Fightin' Falwells (2-3), Living on Tulsa Time (1-4), Old Duh-minions (1-5), the team that lost to Old Duh-minions (3-2), political tweets invading our Saturday afternoon timelines.

Bobby has to go after the Kentucky game!

You know what apathy just kicked in. I really don't care is that bad?

Apathy is the worst. It's fan apathy more than anything else that will get coaches fired.

The Bottom 10 article I linked states that UCLA fans are very apathetic about their program. Doesn't bode well for Chip Kelly!

Where and/or who did you hear that from? I'm not doubting you at all, I'm just going by what Tim Sullivan said.
When a booster tells the media that they dont have the money for his buyout, essentially what he is doing is sending out a call to all of the big donors for money.

Was there ever a definitive number on his buyout? I posted an article that said 12 mill but forde or someone said it was only like 6 mill

I think it was Bozich saying it is about $6m. Every other source pegs it at $13.4 - 16.0m, plus some collateral coach expense. I have no idea where Bozich got the number. I trust the larger amount.

Reactions: ThroughBlue
Bobby won’t be fired, period. You do not fire a guy for one bad season. Yeah, I know about we shoulda, coulda had better seasons with a Heisman winner, but winning 8 or 9 games a season and going to a bowl game IS A GOOD SEASON. Yes, there is a lot of fan apathy and you can count me as one of those but I will never be anti UofL even if there is a person out there I’d rather have as our coach. And to those that are saying “good” assistants don’t want to work for him are just wrong. There are a lot of young, good assistants out there that would be more than willing to work for the bucks UofL is known to pay for their services. Plus working for an ACC P5 school always looks good on your resume. Remember they are young with families and they NEED the money. What needs to happen is to bring in a good QB coach like LeFors from CAL and do whatever you do with a guy like Nick Petrino. Stephan has an outstanding resume himself and I think he could be a really good head college coach somewhere down the road. Then hire assistants to help teach the younger “son-in-law’s” how to coach their respective positions. Those guys were good players but they also need to learn how to be a coach. There is a vast difference between being a good player and being a good coach. WTH let’s go beat Boston College this Saturday!

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Bobby won’t be fired, period. You do not fire a guy for one bad season. Yeah, I know about we shoulda, coulda had better seasons with a Heisman winner, but winning 8 or 9 games a season and going to a bowl game IS A GOOD SEASON. Yes, there is a lot of fan apathy and you can count me as one of those but I will never be anti UofL even if there is a person out there I’d rather have as our coach. And to those that are saying “good” assistants don’t want to work for him are just wrong. There are a lot of young, good assistants out there that would be more than willing to work for the bucks UofL is known to pay for their services. Plus working for an ACC P5 school always looks good on your resume. Remember they are young with families and they NEED the money. What needs to happen is to bring in a good QB coach like LeFors from CAL and do whatever you do with a guy like Nick Petrino. Stephan has an outstanding resume himself and I think he could be a really good head college coach somewhere down the road. Then hire assistants to help teach the younger “son-in-law’s” how to coach their respective positions. Those guys were good players but they also need to learn how to be a coach. There is a vast difference between being a good player and being a good coach. WTH let’s go beat Boston College this Saturday!

There are plenty of great young assistants to be sure. The ones we had - or that were trending that way - all bailed in the last three years. Why is that?

Why are there so many members of Petrino’s family on staff? Why so many retreads? Why did Jurich have to overpay to get Grantham? Why weren’t quality DCs with solid positive D1 / P5 experience chomping at the bit to replace him at the 1.2M he was making?

There’s one reason and one reason only - Petrino. Gotta break that cycle.

There are plenty of great young assistants to be sure. The ones we had - or that were trending that way - all bailed in the last three years. Why is that?

Why are there so many members of Petrino’s family on staff? Why so many retreads? Why did Jurich have to overpay to get Grantham? Why weren’t quality DCs with solid positive D1 / P5 experience chomping at the bit to replace him at the 1.2M he was making?

There’s one reason and one reason only - Petrino. Gotta break that cycle.

Well BP, with all due respect, there’s an old saying about wishing in one hand and crapping in the other. And at the end of all of that, you still have one hand full of crap and one hand full of wishes. Bobby will not be fired at the end of this season and he shouldn’t be after one bad season. Assistants can be found, good assistants and I believe they will be found. Why does any coach hire his “family” as assistants . . . To help his family that’s why. But at the end of the day, they should be good enough to help and if they are not then they need to be sent packing. That’s where AD Tyra should come into this conversation. It is up to him to have the “come to Jesus” meeting with Bobby. I believe that is exactly what should and will happen. And by the way, hind sight is always 20/20 and that’s where we are with TJ and Bobby’s present contract.

Well BP, with all due respect, there’s an old saying about wishing in one hand and crapping in the other. And at the end of all of that, you still have one hand full of crap and one hand full of wishes. Bobby will not be fired at the end of this season and he shouldn’t be after one bad season. Assistants can be found, good assistants and I believe they will be found. Why does any coach hire his “family” as assistants . . . To help his family that’s why. But at the end of the day, they should be good enough to help and if they are not then they need to be sent packing. That’s where AD Tyra should come into this conversation. It is up to him to have the “come to Jesus” meeting with Bobby. I believe that is exactly what should and will happen. And by the way, hind sight is always 20/20 and that’s where we are with TJ and Bobby’s present contract.

The problem with this line of thinking is that there isn't a long list of quality assistants lining up to work with Bobby Petrino. Do you think if they were Louisville would have hired Peter Sirmon, or Brian Van Gorder?

The problem with telling Bobby to just fix his staff is a multilayered issue that will actually do nothing to fix the current issues with the program. Check out the new article about ticket scans this seasons and you'll see that people have lost faith and thats hard to get back. I've always been of the opinion that the fan base was mostly at best "tolerating" the rehiring of Petrino anyway. Do you think that if Louisville finishes out the season at 3-9, keeps Petrino but overhauls his staff with a bunch of guys nobody knows anything about (because they're assistants) that its going to do anything to fix the overarching problems with the programs? That anyone is going to be excited for a new staff? No. From a fans perspective I don't think revamping his staff would move the needle even the smallest bit.

Louisville needs a culture shift that comes with a new coach...Switching out staffs is like getting a new cast put on your arm because you're tired of it being broken.

Why do you think guys like Buckley, Dennison, Field, etc left UofL?

What leverage - other than firing him - do you really believe Tyra has over Petrino to tell him to fire his family members?

What confidence - based upon his recent hires - do you have that Petrino would replace current staff with the types of guys you’re talking about?

If those guys were out there - given UofL’s reputation for paying well, why weren’t they hired?

Reactions: EKYCard643
Why do you think guys like Buckley, Dennison, Field, etc left UofL?

What leverage - other than firing him - do you really believe Tyra has over Petrino to tell him to fire his family members?

What confidence - based upon his recent hires - do you have that Petrino would replace current staff with the types of guys you’re talking about?

If those guys were out there - given UofL’s reputation for paying well, why weren’t they hired?

Since you want to ask me questions I have some for you. Whom do you want as our new head coach? And will you want to replace him after one bad (losing) season regardless of his background? And will 8 or 9 win seasons in a much tougher ACC conference make any difference for you. OR, will it be ok if he has family members on his staff, either paid or “volunteer”? Hey let’s go beat Boston College today!!

Since you want to ask me questions I have some for you. Whom do you want as our new head coach? And will you want to replace him after one bad (losing) season regardless of his background? And will 8 or 9 win seasons in a much tougher ACC conference make any difference for you. OR, will it be ok if he has family members on his staff, either paid or “volunteer”? Hey let’s go beat Boston College today!!

I’m happy to answer your questions to the best of my ability. Maybe after I do - you’ll even return the favor. :)

I have made it pretty clear that I’d like Brohm to replace Petrino - and do so this year. If they can’t make a deal for Brohm, then I’d give Petrino one more year to turn it around - though given the current state of things - I don’t think he would.

I also think that it’s false to suggest that Petrino’s termination would be based on one “bad season”. The program has been trending down - on really all of the important metrics - for the last 20+ games. When you add those fans who either didn’t want or were lukewarm on bringing him back to those that they did but can see the writing on the wall, there is a huge enthusiasm gap in the fan base.

I think Brohm cures that. I think there are some strong parallels to the basketball situation and how Mack is changing the perception there. Even if the ceiling with Brohm is the exact same - it’s the right move to move the program forward. Lastly, there’s a difference between hiring family members that are qualified and those that are not. Petrino at this point doesn’t appear to have many other options.

Let’s definitely beat BC today!

Reactions: KerryRhodes
I’m happy to answer your questions to the best of my ability. Maybe after I do - you’ll even return the favor. :)

I have made it pretty clear that I’d like Brohm to replace Petrino - and do so this year. If they can’t make a deal for Brohm, then I’d give Petrino one more year to turn it around - though given the current state of things - I don’t think he would.

I also think that it’s false to suggest that Petrino’s termination would be based on one “bad season”. The program has been trending down - on really all of the important metrics - for the last 20+ games. When you add those fans who either didn’t want or were lukewarm on bringing him back to those that they did but can see the writing on the wall, there is a huge enthusiasm gap in the fan base.

I think Brohm cures that. I think there are some strong parallels to the basketball situation and how Mack is changing the perception there. Even if the ceiling with Brohm is the exact same - it’s the right move to move the program forward. Lastly, there’s a difference between hiring family members that are qualified and those that are not. Petrino at this point doesn’t appear to have many other options.

First, I agree with your premise that Jeff Brohm could possibly make a good head coach here although I believe he needs “more seasoning”. Trending down, as you say, is not enough to can a guy over. And, yes, there is some lukewarm feelings among the fanbase and I agree that Jeff Brohm would/could cure that . . . for a while. Plus, the two son-in-laws have virtually as much experience as does Brian. I do like the analogy that you draw with Chris Mack. We do not know whether Bobby has any other options but he does have to make a change, in my opinion, at the QB coaching spot. That’s why I’ve strongly suggested that Bobby make a major run at Stephon LeFors who has both NFL and CFL experience to go along with a stellar HS head coaching record. Nick can be moved on to an administrative post or out. I don’t really care. Perhaps even a run at Brian as our QB coach. I don’t think you and I are that far apart in our opinions other than I don’t want to fire Bobby at the end of THIS season. Whether or not other coaches like him or not, a firing of Bobby will sour our reputation amongst many available coaches. Plus, as I’ve said before, there ARE young assistants that would be willing to come here because of the money UofL has been willing to pony up in the past.

First, I agree with your premise that Jeff Brohm could possibly make a good head coach here although I believe he needs “more seasoning”. Trending down, as you say, is not enough to can a guy over. And, yes, there is some lukewarm feelings among the fanbase and I agree that Jeff Brohm would/could cure that . . . for a while. Plus, the two son-in-laws have virtually as much experience as does Brian. I do like the analogy that you draw with Chris Mack. We do not know whether Bobby has any other options but he does have to make a change, in my opinion, at the QB coaching spot. That’s why I’ve strongly suggested that Bobby make a major run at Stephon LeFors who has both NFL and CFL experience to go along with a stellar HS head coaching record. Nick can be moved on to an administrative post or out. I don’t really care. Perhaps even a run at Brian as our QB coach. I don’t think you and I are that far apart in our opinions other than I don’t want to fire Bobby at the end of THIS season. Whether or not other coaches like him or not, a firing of Bobby will sour our reputation amongst many available coaches. Plus, as I’ve said before, there ARE young assistants that would be willing to come here because of the money UofL has been willing to pony up in the past.

I don’t think there’s any chance that Petrino removes Nick from his position. As I said before, other than firing him - Tyra has no leverage over Petrino to get him to do this. I honestly believe that after the events of the last year, Petrino sees the writing on the wall and knows that his supporters within the university are gone, and his days here are numbered. If true, that would certainly lessen his interest in cooperating with the administration / guy who he believes wants him gone. I agree though, Lefors would make an excellent choice.

Why do you think he has lost those assistants I mentioned - what’s behind that? Also given that we agree that Louisville has no problem ponying up to pay assistants - why hasn’t Petrino attracted any? Where / who are the guys on the staff that are going to attract the recruits needed - particularly defensively - to turn this thing around?

EXACTLY !

I just don’t understand the thinking of those fans who think UL is all the sudden going to be able to lure quality assistants here. What have you seen from the last 5 years that make you think that? The constant exodus of guys looking to leave Bobby’s staff or the fact we had to pay an unemployed DC a million dollars a year to come here.

Also, spare me with the “one bad season” talk. This season has been 3 years in the making.

I just don’t understand the thinking of those fans who think UL is all the sudden going to be able to lure quality assistants here. What have you seen from the last 5 years that make you think that? The constant exodus of guys looking to leave Bobby’s staff or the fact we had to pay an unemployed DC a million dollars a year to come here.

Also, spare me with the “one bad season” talk. This season has been 3 years in the making.
You are so spot on!

ESPECIALLY when he already had top notch assistants and coaches on the staff.
He ran them off or left for a reason (him).

To much is given, much is expected.
He's a 14 and half year experienced HC making 4, 5 million a year, yet he"d coached like a 1st year Coach the last 23 games.

Unacceptable.

Well then we will just have to agree to disagree.

That’s ok too but, what are your answers to those questions I asked?

What questions do you want answers to. WTH I may not have any answers. The one guy left to go back to the west coast where his family was. But other than that I’m not sure I have any answers. But I’ll say this, what evidence do you have that he cannot get good asistants other than what you perceive to be his failure to do so. Even with today’s loss I do not want Bobby faired at the end of the season. But that may happen regardless of what I want. But I will say this, if indeed Bobby is fired and Jeff is hired here you had better hope that he is successful here within two or three season or there will be hell to pay. Truthfully if this all comes to pass I hope Jeff has us competing for an ACC division title and then the ACC title and a place in the playoffs. But even if Jeff wins an average of 8 or 9 gamers you can bet that I’ll support him even if he has an occasional bad year.

What questions do you want answers to. WTH I may not have any answers. The one guy left to go back to the west coast where his family was. But other than that I’m not sure I have any answers. But I’ll say this, what evidence do you have that he cannot get good asistants other than what you perceive to be his failure to do so. Even with today’s loss I do not want Bobby faired at the end of the season. But that may happen regardless of what I want. But I will say this, if indeed Bobby is fired and Jeff is hired here you had better hope that he is successful here within two or three season or there will be hell to pay. Truthfully if this all comes to pass I hope Jeff has us competing for an ACC division title and then the ACC title and a place in the playoffs. But even if Jeff wins an average of 8 or 9 gamers you can bet that I’ll support him even if he has an occasional bad year.

My evidence that he can’t get good assistants is that he hasn’t or as importantly, he hasn’t been able to retain the ones that are promising despite Louisville’s willingness to pay. Like many others have said, I think that the word is out in the coaching industry, that Petrino is not a guy you want to work for.

The Grantham situation was a debacle and arguably Grantham has greater respect from his peers than does Petrino. Another thing that I’ve not seen mentioned, is the way Jurich’s absence has to have changed perception about whether or not UofL is still a good place to coach. Everyone knows that Petrino no longer has a major support from the AD (and the board) so why would any good assistant throw their lot in with what could be perceived as a guy on thin ice.

If Brohm comes here - and the ceiling is the same - it’ll still be a better situation for the program.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT