ADVERTISEMENT

Is anyone else worried that the D couldn't stop Murray State from running the ball?

SpotHogCard

1250+
Mar 17, 2013
IMO, the D looked suspect up the middle. I hope it was an anomaly and not a vision of what is to come.

It’s too early to say.

So many make pronouncements of doom and gloom or just assume it’ll work but ask no questions.

I think it’s “something to watch” so let’s see how the staff adjusts. With no preseason it’s hard to tell what’s a big issue in early games. I think I am worried about getting blown off the ball and being a big slow to react to things. But was that playing down to GT and Murray? Or was it more systematic?

The staff knows the issues. If you see changes the next few weeks with improvements, then you just write it off to early rust that the staff fixed.

It is a perfect game to test out some things. Indiana isn’t that good, but they are physical and will run it at our team. Plus, their defense faced Ohio State and played them well so they def aren’t going to be scared of our guys, they’ll be prepared.

IMO, the D looked suspect up the middle. I hope it was an anomaly and not a vision of what is to come.
Murray had 107 yards rushing with a net of 94. QB scrambles accounted for 36 of those yards. Defensive adjustments against IU's running game is what will be important.

Reactions: CardFanBudMan
No; the old expectation that non-D1 programs and non P5 conference teams should not be able to compete is flawed. EKU and Murray State are still formidable. They lack the depth, and admittedly they will not have the same level of talent up and down, but they have kids with size, strength and athleticism that is not that far below UL.

Huh? Couldn't stop the run? Murray had 94 yards, a third coming from the QB. Where is this notion coming from?

We're not playing Wisconsin. IU may indeed rush for over 100 yards but so will the Cards.

IU didn't do that much to stop OSU's receivers. The Buckeyes in their first game with a new QB who isn't some all-American transfer, didn't target the receivers like we're used to seeing. The following week, OSU didn't light it up against Youngstown state either.

Louisville is the more talented team and if they're focused they will beat IU rather handily. But, anything can happen in sports and we all know that.

IU in the past 15 seasons have had just 2 winning seasons. The best being the covid year when they finished 6 and 2.

They are 6 and 18 the past two seasons. They are the Big 10 version of Vanderbilt in the SEC.

I just don't understand all the consternation with Cards fans about this game. But again, if the Cards show up overconfident and not focused, it could be a close game. In the recent past I may have considered that being the case, but not with Jeff Brohm in his third game against an opponent he knows well and knows how to beat.

Yes, this is for me the only real question in this game. How good is Plummer? I think that 1st half against GT will linger until he throws for 300 yards and 3 TD'S.

UL was subbing a lot of guys in right from the get go. So i didn't take much at all away from the MSU game.
My biggest concern is Plummer.
You think it's just a timing thing that straightens itself out or...

I think we’ll see Lole’s snap count grow with each game until he’s our #1 inside. To me, that will command some double teams and really improve our run d. Here’s to the young man staying healthy all year!

Reactions: Mayoman
I think he had first game jitters. Last season at Cal he didn't have the pressure to win as expectations at Berkeley weren't anything like it is here at UofL.

Two of his INT's are not a reflection of bad throws. One was a hail Mary and the other was a tremendous play by the Murray DB, who looked like Jaire Alexander on that interception. The Cards receiver was right there for the catch. The pass was not underthrown at all. The DB just made an all pro play.

Decision making is still hard to know with just one competitive game so far. I think he has the arm and accuracy to be an all conference caliber QB, it's just his decision making that is yet to be truly tested.

I believe that may have been the issue at Purdue though I'm not for sure.

I think he had first game jitters. Last season at Cal he didn't have the pressure to win as expectations at Berkeley weren't anything like it is here at UofL.

Two of his INT's are not a reflection of bad throws. One was a hail Mary and the other was a tremendous play by the Murray DB, who looked like Jaire Alexander on that interception. The Cards receiver was right there for the catch. The pass was not underthrown at all. The DB just made an all pro play.

Decision making is still hard to know with just one competitive game so far. I think he has the arm and accuracy to be an all conference caliber QB, it's just his decision making that is yet to be truly tested.

I believe that may have been the issue at Purdue though I'm not for sure.
Disagree on the 2nd. Threw the ball too late and that has to be closer to the sideline where his guy catches it or no one.

Disagree on the 2nd. Threw the ball too late and that has to be closer to the sideline where his guy catches it or no one.
Sometimes you have to tip your hat to the opponent. I've watched that replay a dozen times and the ball would have fell right into the receivers hands without missing a step. The DB just made a great play.

Plummer knew he wasn't facing Deion Sanders when he threw that pass. However, if he knew he was facing someone that good, he would have probably overthrown the pass.

I'm not really sure. To me, he does not look confident when he is in the pocket. And he seems like he lobs the ball. Sometimes you need to throw a ball with some touch on it, but others you need to burn it in there. I have heard JB say on multiple occasions JP needs to get off his back foot and rip it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT