ADVERTISEMENT

Incoming Frosh

earsky

Four-Star Poster
Jan 12, 2010
Where can I get a breakdown on incoming freshmen and redshirt incoming freshmen?

Which are which and whatnot?

I'm working on some info for incoming freshmen. Stay tuned.

We have around 10 true freshmen on the 50 man fall roster. A lot of these kids will be playing Saturday.

Kinda pumped to see who might be able to help the team this Spring

Pizza bowl today at 230. The scouting report on true and redshirt freshmen continues.
Trey Leonard had 2 hits against IU. He is a redshirt freshman that is trying to make the Spring roster.

Gawdern, I feel like the lone ranger over here. Nonetheless, I am still working on a scouting report for newcomers and their chances to crack the Spring roster.

I've been to both practice games(WKU and IU) and I've seen both games in the Pizza Bowl, including today's game in which the Cubs knotted the series.

The series continues next week as the shape of the 2019 Cardinal baseball team unfolds before our eyes.

I would encourage others to get out and check out some of these newcomers. Some will contribute to the run...

Names to remember as they fight for a spot on next year's team:

Trey Leonard -Sophmore outfielder can fly, good glove and he's been putting the ball in play. Might be the fastest guy on the team.

Danny Zimmerman-Freshman LH pitcher(I think that was him today).Numbers wrong on some. Very impressive performance today.

Carter Lohman-Another Freshman LH pitcher. Outside of the dinger he gave up against Western's lead-off guy, he has pitched well.

Timmy Borden- heir apparent at ss when Fitz moves on. Another Freshman that will contribute at some point and continue to improve as he waits his turn.

Be back with more later.

Folks, the future over at 3rd and Central looks very bright.

There is a real battle between 2 Freshmen catchers to earn a spot as the 3rd catcher, behind Zeke and Pat Rumoro(who's out of fall ball). Btw, Pinkham might be one of the better catchers I've seen wear the Red and Black. He looks great.

Freshmen Henry Davis and Ben Metzinger are battling for that 3rd spot. They are our future catchers and either one may play as early as next Spring.

Full disclosure, I know there are only so many spots and that some of these guys may have to wait a year. Others will push the vets for time.

I'll be adding more, but I couldn't get out there this week. There are 4-5 more freshmen that could contribute this season.

I'll say it again. There will be competition for several spots in the line up next Spring.

Alright, so I have left some of these guys for last. Some really serious ball players mentioned beforehand, and they all have heart. The heart being what drives athletes to excel when they otherwise shouldn't.

Alex Binelas
Cameron Masterman
Andrew Benefield

These 3 infielders (Masteman is playing many positions) will probably anchor the middle of the batting line up in the not-so -distant future.
Averaging 6'2 and well over 200 pounds, these 3 guys are physically impressive.

Last edited:
I'll be at the last fall game today. Pizza bowl winds up and the battles continue for spots on the roster for next Spring.

Last chance to get over and check out the new faces before next February.

I'll be at the last fall game today. Pizza bowl winds up and the battles continue for spots on the roster for next Spring.

Last chance to get over and check out the new faces before next February.
What’s your thoughts on the potential weekend rotation? Who do you think is the No.1 catcher? I’m interested to see if Pinkham will have a good year.

Okay, well if I had to go with one today, I think it's fairly rock solid with Bobby Miller, Reid Detmers and Nick Bennett.

The Pizza Bowl ended in a tie after the Angels won game 5 and game 4 was played out and remained a tie.

Kinda fitting since the teams were split up evenly.

Freshman Jack Perkins- RH pitcher.

This kid looked really good yesterday.
Struck out a tough Lucas Dunn in a big situation yesterday. Btw, I think Dunn gets the job at 2nd base. He has impressed me all fall.

Chris Seng - tough, gritty ballplayer. He may have to wait his turn, but could help down the road. He is an outfielder.

It's not hard to see why Mac wasn't taking feelers after last season. This group of freshmen are impressive.

A couple more Freshmen pitchers to mention before we say adieu until February.

Kerry Wright - Rh pitcher. This kid is 6'4 and a very hard thrower. Curious as to whether he gets a spot. He will be in the rotation though, maybe as a starter, down the road.

Jake Rosing - Another Rh pitcher. He projects as a redshirt, but you never know.

That's it for the Freshmen. If I left anybody out, apologies. It means I didn't see them play or the numbers on the roster sheets might have been wrong.

A couple more notes:
Adam Elliott, Zach Britton, and Pat Rumoro sat out Fall ball. I'm guessing because of injuries. Several more played, but were limited.

The key may very well be our bullpen, but this group will compete at the very highest level in 2019.

I think the infield is set. Lavey, Fitz, Dunn, Wyatt and Pinkham. The outfield is anchored by Campbell, Stringer, Snider and Leonard. The best competition for cracking the lineup appears to be out there and in the bullpen imo.

That's it for the Freshmen. If I left anybody out, apologies. It means I didn't see them play or the numbers on the roster sheets might have been wrong.

A couple more notes:
Adam Elliott, Zach Britton, and Pat Rumoro sat out Fall ball. I'm guessing because of injuries. Several more played, but were limited.

The key may very well be our bullpen, but this group will compete at the very highest level in 2019.

I think the infield is set. Lavey, Fitz, Dunn, Wyatt and Pinkham. The outfield is anchored by Campbell, Stringer, Snider and Leonard. The best competition for cracking the lineup appears to be out there and in the bullpen imo.
Interesting. No Oriente in the OF or is he our DH?

Chris Seng - tough, gritty ballplayer. He may have to wait his turn, but could help down the road. He is an outfielder.
Thanks for all of the good work you’re doing here - much appreciated. What have you seen from Seng - what opportunities is he getting?

Reactions: earsky
Thanks for all of the good work you’re doing here - much appreciated. What have you seen from Seng - what opportunities is he getting?
You fellas are welcome.
Seng has looked good. He battles at the plate. I like the little dudes, because I'm one, lol.Seng played every game, so he has gotten every opportunity. Solid outfielder as well.
He might lose out this time around because we return so many outfielders. And I'm not sure where Britton fits in defensively, but I think he'll help out down the road. It's gotta be tough to redshirt, I'm sure.

Last edited:
Who do you think is the No.1 catcher? I’m interested to see if Pinkham will have a good year.
Oh yeah, it's Pinkham. He looks great, was stealing bases, and he has a cannon. Expecting big things. Assuming Rumoro returns healthy, he will probably catch every 3rd game.

You fellas are welcome.
Seng has looked good. He battles at the plate. I like the little dudes, because I'm one, lol.Seng played every game, so he has gotten every opportunity. Solid outfielder as well.
He might lose out this time around because we return so many outfielders. And I'm not sure where Britton fits in defensively, but I think he'll help out down the road. It's gotta be tough to redshirt, I'm sure.
Good to hear that. He’s had a bit of a rocky journey to get there after signing before his junior year. Kid is a battler and is unbelievably fast - 6.3 / 6.4 60.

Reactions: earsky
Freshmen Henry Davis and Ben Metzinger are battling for that 3rd spot.
I have to apologize for inadvertently leaving Zach Britton out of the mix at catcher. He sat out fall ball. I'm assuming that if he and Rumoro both are healthy in the Spring,that they will battle to back up Zeke.

Davis and Metzinger are battling to make the roster come Spring. They are our catchers of the future. Not to say that one or the other couldn't see some playing time this season.

I knew I probably left somebody out,and looking back over my posts,I did.

Jared Poland is another Freshman,highly regarded and drafted in the 34th round. He can play multiple positions,including pitcher. Another big kid, I think CM has stocked the cupboard with a really good blend of power and speed. Some of these Freshmen will make noise this coming season,and may push for time.

The question now is...which ones? The daily battles will make everybody better I think.

Now,we just need for the chemistry of the team to come together. The vets on this team will have to lead the way on that.

Reactions: Drakew
I think we know who will be replacing Wyatt at 1st base. Alex Binelas looks every bit the part.
Andrew Benefield probably backs up Lavey at 3rd.

I have to apologize for inadvertently leaving Zach Britton out of the mix at catcher. He sat out fall ball. I'm assuming that if he and Rumoro both are healthy in the Spring,that they will battle to back up Zeke.
Actually Britton is now listed as a two way player C/OF.

Actually Britton is now listed as a two way player C/OF.
Yes,I noted in the intrasquad scrimmage thread that he was playing right field on Saturday. We're a little thin in the outfield and it looks like he has been moved there to shore up the depth. I think Campbell,Stringer and Britton will battle for the other 2 spots next to Snider.

Lucas Dunn played center today. I still think he's ahead at 2nd base,but it's testament to some of these freshmen pushing for time. We could see Dunn out there every now and then,letting some promising freshmen play in the infield.

Dunn stands out wherever he is. Gets on base,solid defender,steals bases.Timmy Borden played 2nd.

Yeah,full report coming. Our slated starters are being pushed daily.

Got my first look at Kerry Wright yesterday since last Fall. Coach Williams has many options with his bullpen and starters. CM touched on this in his presser the other day. Wright is a really impressive looking freshman,who could end up being the midweek starter if the coaches decide to use Miller and/or Hoeing as middle or late relief.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT