ADVERTISEMENT

I thought there wasn’t any money to fire KP?

Evidently no one has stepped forward. Since everyone likes quoting this guy...

"...The loss of basketball revenues has left the department in a weaker position financially, and the $8 million buyout of Payne will leave it weaker still..."

LINK

Last edited:
Sounds like they are in negotiations. All Heird said was he just started talking to KP representatives yesterday. We will see.

Heird made it clear the basketball program is vital to the overall financial health of the program-university-city. He also was clear on the challenges of paying a large buyout for a new coach. That probably isn’t happening. The numbers just don’t work.

I would remove anyone that has a big buyout. There probably is a magic number where it could work. I would guess Oats is out. Cronin is out more than likely. Tang is probably out.

If reports are true the only reason Drew is on the table is his buyout is zero. May, Mussleman, Donovan, Wade, and Indiana State coach all seems more likely. Of those May, Wade and Indiana State coach fit the willingness to crawl to Louisville.

I want Wade. The dude can coach, all his sins are legal now. He has an edge/cockiness that would fit. He is young. A lot to like.

If we hire Shertz it will be because we are hurting financially. He may be a great coach but all of his experience is at a lower level and that makes him a bigger risk than all of the others. It also won't be popular with the Fans.

Given the nature of this termination, I am not sure any single individual would want his or her name identified as the resource of the necessary funds …….of course, that is a huge assumption IF an individual or group were responsible for contributing to the buyout, and/or the required money to attract KP’s replacement.

I would think KP’s advisors are encouraging him to take the buyout (ordinary income) over time as a way to minimize his Federal and State Income Tax.

I do not know if what I was told is true, but there have been reports circulating around the local business community that City officials and local businesses were working on ways to resurrect the economic decline downtown that included the University as it applies to the Basketball Program’s relationship with the Arena.

Personally, I really do not care anymore about who or how this University financed the termination of Payne: I am just pleased to see “this two year experiment turned into a real disaster” has ended. I applaud Josh for getting it done.

Reactions: vivid_red
The question should have been asked even if Heird didn't want to give a name. "Donor(s)" would have sufficed.

And what's being "negotiated" in mid-March? Year Three has been an issue for months? Am I to believe that U of L is just now starting a money search?

Or should I believe that, like always, U of L can't raise the money?

And that negotiation actually means how long can U of L extend out the payments to Payne to make the "pain" less severe?

Digging a financial hole deeper always works...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT