ADVERTISEMENT

*** Howie's Quick Hits - April 1 (No Fools)

Howie Lindsey

Elite Member
Silver Member
May 29, 2001
Louisville, KY
www.cardinalsports.com
- Just got back from basketball in Syracuse and Albany and got to go to football practice for the first time yesterday. I have a lot of first impressions and I'll try to recount quite a few here.

- Tyler Ferguson is the tallest of the quarterbacks and he appears to deliver the hardest strike when he throws. He can really muscle it in there, and - talking with the UofL folks - they like that he has the strength to throw it from a couple of different arm angles and the ability to throw it downfield even while off-balance.

- Kyle Bolin definitely gained confidence from his end of season performance and he looks like a completely different player than he did at the start of fall practice last year. When we all saw him last year, I don't think any of us knew how hurt he was. Now seeing him healthy is good to see. He throws the most catchable ball of the three yesterday.

- Reggie Bonnafon's testing results were amazing and he looks physically impressive. He's got better height than Teddy Bridgewater, is faster and more sturdy... but physicality isn't all there is - of course. If it was, Tom Brady would never have made it because he looks like a in-shape stock broker in the off-season.

- Reggie told me he is working on knowing when to run and when to pass, and it sounded like Coach Petrino was helping him along with some of those decisions with "gentle suggestions" after plays yesterday. "GET RID OF THE _____ BALL!" was said more than once. Reggie has such a great attitude, he takes it in stride it seems.

- Brandon Radcliff is the man. I'm sure Jeremy Smith and LJ Scott will get carries - because that is how Bobby rolls - but Radcliff has an explosion that is fun to watch.

- Speaking of explosion: Josh Harvey-Clemons (which I almost always type as Clemson the first time and then I have to go back and delete and retype it). JHC has a quickness that is extremely uncommon in a guy of his size.

- Spoke with Eli Rogers yesterday and he can't wait for some upcoming NFL workouts including a trip down to his native Miami coming up in a couple of weeks. He has incredible confidence and he says he feels better right now than any time over the last year, even better than he felt at Pro Day.

- I told Eli, and I believe it, that if he gets into a camp he will make a team. They won't be able to get him to leave once he's in there because he will outwork everybody. He laughed and said, "I'll be the quarterbacks best friend."

- Speaking of that, if I'm the Minnesota Vikings and it gets to the 4th or 5th or 6th round and Eli Rogers is available, I'm drafting him. If Teddy Bridgewater is your franchise player - AND HE IS - wouldn't you give his brother a shot, especially since he's a draftable prospect, we're not talking about Billy Carter here. I told Eli my theory, and he laughed and said he would take it any way he can get it.

- Gerod Holliman is also going to work out for the Dolphins soon. He said he's been working out and fielding phone calls. Trying to stay as fit as possible.

- Louisville's linebacking corps might be the best it has been in a while. As long as they can have one more good outside linebacker to step up, they'll be great this season. I loved what I saw from Keith Kelsey yesterday. Love it.

- Louisville's middle on defense has the potential to be so, so good. I love what I saw from DeAngelo Brown and Sheldon Rankins. Both are dancing bears with big mitts and an angry disposition. They will be a load for any G-C-G combo to handle this season including Florida State and Clemson.

- Quick switch to hoops for a second. Anton Gill was no surprise. We'd heard that was going to happen since Christmas and Terry going pro probably cemented it.

- I hope Shaqquan Aaron stays at Louisville. We'd heard his family hasn't been happy for a while and I wonder about him because you start thinking about how many different high schools and AAU programs he has played for... I think he needs stability.

- It was good to hear Chinanu is going to stay now. He has tremendous potential physically and once he matures and gets it mentally, he could be a real force down low. I hope he is motivated by Rick Pitino saying that Matz and Anas will pass him this summer if he doesn't kick it into gear.

- At this point - based on what I have heard - I'd be surprised if Trey Lewis isn't a Cardinal next season. He's a good scoring option with a nice shot. He has the quickness to be effective on the press and he can handle the ball to take some pressure off of Quentin Snider at times.

- Gotta make a run real quick, but more to come...

- OK, Ice is back with a brand new invention...

- Word is Shaqquan Aaron was in workouts this morning with the team and things have been smoothed over so far. I sure hope that is the case because he has skill and just needs strength and more development. I REALLY want to see him sluffing off a defender on a pick and nailing a three for Louisville next season a la Francisco Garcia.

- If that backcourt is Quentin Snider, Donovan Mitchell, Trey Lewis, Shaq Aaron on the wing. I like the sound of that.

- OK, the Brian Dennehy story.

- I FAILED in my one chance to give Big Tom Callahan a hug because I just couldn't fathom that Brian Dennehy would be in public wearing sweatpants.

- Let me explain. We are checking out of our hotel and my best friend says "Did you see who was in the elevator with us?" Me: "Uh, no... some old dude." Him: "Yeah, that was Brian Dennehy." I didn't believe it. He was minding his own business, checking out of the hotel, trying to find his car in the parking garage and I didn't recognize him because of my long-standing belief that famous people don't wear sweatpants in public. Well, now that belief is TOTALLY out the window.

- It was later confirmed that yes, in fact, that WAS Brian Dennehy. As he drove off, all I could do was wave and kick myself for not giving Big Tom Callahan a hug in the elevator. I was so close, and yet so far away. I have thought about it since then and I firmly believe that he would have reciprocated the hug had I correctly uttered the line: "Of course, I can get a hell of a good look at a T-Bone steak by sticking my head up a bull's ass, but I'd rather take the butcher's word for it."

- Two lessons: 1. Stars wear sweatpants in public, too. 2. My best friend is typically right.

- Rick Pitino just confirmed to the Courier that Aaron is staying at Louisville so that's good.

- OK, just got a call that I'm filling in for John Ramsey today on 93.9 The Ville Radio so I've got to go prep a bit. Be right back.

---

- I really like that Louisville did the yellow laces deal for the NCAA Tournament. Good work, Trez and Vinny for making it happen for Pediatric Cancer.

- I don't think the junior college recruit Pitino just hosted Mychal Mulder will be coming to Louisville and I think it is Louisville's choice right now. He's an option, but as of right now, he doesn't have an offer.

- It is worth remembering that Onuaku was 17 when he got here. Jaylen Johnson is also very young. Both those guys still have a lot of growing up to do both physically and years wise. They both have great potential.

- Pitino was telling anyone who will listen that he believes Jaylen Johnson has tremendous potential. I can see it. He has an uncommon athleticism for a guy of his size and the comparison to a young Antoine Walker came up more than once.

- On a personal note, I'm being very public about the ol' weight loss thing because I really need accountability. I'm down about 50 pounds, but I gained some back on the road for NCAA so I am hitting the diet again hard this week. Please don't point and laugh if you see me eating a salad.

- That said, I volunteer to help Anas and Shaqquan gain weight. I know all the best places to go near campus, starting with the Shake Shack on Preston. Get the Fat Elvis shake twice a day and that's at least an extra 2 pounds a week.

- James Burgess is poised for a BIG season. He's such a gamer that you don't see it as much in practice, but he is so quick to the ball he can really bust up some plays.

- I'm very concerned about the offensive line and the coaches are, too. If there is a late transfer coming to Louisville as a 5th-year, I would not be surprised as they could come in and start pretty quickly.

- Wide receiver Paul Harris changed his name to Alphonso Carter. I think that's cool. He went with a completely new name.

- I like James Quick in the slot a lot. He will tear up a linebacker now. And can you imagine trying to pull up a safety to cover him with Staples and Carter and Williams on the outside.

- I would recommend Seattle to anyone. Yes, it does rain every day, but there is so much to see or do that it is a really nice spot.

- I would not recommend Syracuse to anyone. No offense to my good friend Trevor who grew up there, but I did not have a great impression of Syracuse while I was there - record cold days, snow still on the ground in late March and cold, cold rain on several days. Yuk.

- I was more than a little surprised by how FEW Louisville fans were in Syracuse. Seattle I can totally understand, but I thought there would be a lot more fans in Syracuse. That was more than a little concerning and - to me - it showed the lack of confidence in this year's team, I think.

- I am intrigued by the possibility of Anas Mahmoud playing a stretch-4 or stretch-5. He can shoot and can actually dribble. He is going to continue to develop that side of his game and I can't wait to see it happen.

- OK, I may add more later. Off to baseball and then to radio. Tune in today at 93.9 FM from 3-6.
This post was edited on 4/1 1:56 PM by Howie Lindsey

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News