ADVERTISEMENT

Holiday Bowl

Why does the acc runner up get shipped to the west coast, while the 3rd place team gets to go to Orlando for the pop tarts bowl?

Oh that’s right - because it’s one of the acc’s Tobacco Road darlings - nc state. I’m torn between being irritated for the acc being shutout of the playoff and, not giving a shit what sort of negative things happen to the acc in general because they treat UofL so effing poorly.

No disrespect to the players that’ll play in this bowl, but I don’t care about this bowl. Starting tomorrow, I’ll be focusing on the transfer portal and enjoy whoever we get.

I read that ACC was in scrambling mode for teams to different bowls.

U are playing in San Diego against US freaking C. And against last years heisman trophy winner. Plus with Pierce Clarkson on the team we need to show out good for west coast recruiting
So the acc runner up and it’s fans have to travel 2000 miles to play a 7-5 usc who finished 6th in the pac12? And, it’s essentially a home game for them?!?

While San Diego is fine - that location sure will mean fewer Cardinal fans than had the team gone to Orlando. Lastly, while I get the west coast / PC connection - which of the two states between Fla and Cali do you think is more critical to UofL’s future recruiting?

U are playing in San Diego against US freaking C. And against last years heisman trophy winner. Plus with Pierce Clarkson on the team we need to show out good for west coast recruiting
Williams will not be playing against Louisville. He will be preparing for the draft. In fact, most of USC's best players on offense will not be playing.

The question is how many players from Louisville won't be playing? This bowl game means nothing, except a chance to play younger guys. It's no longer how it used to be in bowl games. Winning or losing doesn't really matter with a formal scrimmage game.

Why does the acc runner up get shipped to the west coast, while the 3rd place team gets to go to Orlando for the pop tarts bowl?

Oh that’s right - because it’s one of the acc’s Tobacco Road darlings - nc state. I’m torn between being irritated for the acc being shutout of the playoff and, not giving a shit what sort of negative things happen to the acc in general because they treat UofL so effing poorly.

I agree. To hell with the ACC. I couldn’t give a rats a$$ what the other members do. Frankly, I hope they all lose. What shred of feeling I had for FSU is gone. I’ll even root for Kentucky over Clemson. Dabo speaking literally makes me want to vomit.

UNC went last year. Its not about screwing us over. For some reason the acc thought this would be a good option for the 2nd place team.

UNC went last year. Its not about screwing us over. For some reason the acc thought this would be a good option for the 2nd place team.
They were unranked, were 9-5 and the only reason they were the 2nd place team was due to division play - as FSU was higher ranked.

The acc sucks.

So the acc runner up and it’s fans have to travel 2000 miles to play a 7-5 usc who finished 6th in the pac12? And, it’s essentially a home game for them?!?

While San Diego is fine - that location sure will mean fewer Cardinal fans than had the team gone to Orlando. Lastly, while I get the west coast / PC connection - which of the two states between Fla and Cali do you think is more critical to UofL’s future recruiting?
Ghost,

No disrespect but I think the ACC did us a favor. We're 10-3 yeah but its not like we closed the regular season on a winning streak, in fact we sucked. I don't back down from any challenges but do we really want to play a pissed off Georgia. I just don't see any good outcome from that matchup. On the plus side, we will be playing in good weather and if we bench Plummer and let Clarkson play, we will be giving Flyville another opportunity to get the band together. With Texas and OU joining the SEC, we need to find another source besides leftovers from Florida for recruits. Adding Stanford to the conference might sway some west coast players to come to the Ville?

The biggest plus in my mind is a chance to maybe pull out a bowl win and end the season on a positive...

Yeah they are getting as worthless as the Pro Bowl
They're not worthless. They just don't have the same meaning as they used to. It allows seniors who really don't have a future in pro football to celebrate what they worked for. More importantly it gives those teams extra practices and a head start to see what their teams might look like the following year.

The question is as a fan, do you want to spend money to see that? I'm sure player families do but I'll just watch on TV unless its a location that I want to go to.

I kind of think going to Holiday Bowl is better situation once we got dropped from Orange Bowl. After the two losses and a lot of fans traveling to Charlotte, I’m just not sure the Cards would have had an appropriate turnout of fans for the Pop-Tarts or Duke’s Mayo or whatever other bowl. I think that would’ve hurt our credibility going forward. There is no expectation we will have a big turnout for San Diego and we get to play a marquee brand that we otherwise will never play. Also, the game is at a timeslot where there isn’t alot of other football competition so it should draw a good tv number which is also important.

Ghost,

No disrespect but I think the ACC did us a favor. We're 10-3 yeah but its not like we closed the regular season on a winning streak, in fact we sucked. I don't back down from any challenges but do we really want to play a pissed off Georgia. I just don't see any good outcome from that matchup. On the plus side, we will be playing in good weather and if we bench Plummer and let Clarkson play, we will be giving Flyville another opportunity to get the band together. With Texas and OU joining the SEC, we need to find another source besides leftovers from Florida for recruits. Adding Stanford to the conference might sway some west coast players to come to the Ville?

The biggest plus in my mind is a chance to maybe pull out a bowl win and end the season on a positive...
Agee 100%, we did not finish strong. If, and we should have beaten a very mediocre ky team I feel we would have gotten a more attractive bowl bid. On top of that if not for two bad passes and a dropped TD catch, we might have beaten FL St. If's and what if's, we are where we deserve to be. Either way I am proud of our team and what we have accomplished this year.

Agee 100%, we did not finish strong. If, and we should have beaten a very mediocre ky team I feel we would have gotten a more attractive bowl bid. On top of that if not for two bad passes and a dropped TD catch, we might have beaten FL St. If's and what if's, we are where we deserve to be. Either way I am proud of our team and what we have accomplished this year.
Couldn't resist responding. Plummer was 14-37 that's less than 38%. There were more than 2 bad passes. His confidence or what little he had went to zilch after the interception. But yes, I'll take 10-3 without a doubt and I'm glad Brohm is our HC. Maybe with a different QB next year, he won't be so conservative.

Reactions: KozmasAgain
Couldn't resist responding. Plummer was 14-37 that's less than 38%. There were more than 2 bad passes. His confidence or what little he had went to zilch after the interception. But yes, I'll take 10-3 without a doubt and I'm glad Brohm is our HC. Maybe with a different QB next year, he won't be so conservative.
I'm convinced Brohm's play calling was dialed back this season because he couldn't trust Plummer. I watched quite a bit of Purdue games, mostly when they had Rondale Moore and David Bell, and we saw very little of that this season.

I don't think it matters who or where you play anymore. Unless you're in the playoff it's a glorified spring game.

Hopefully everyone who wants to leave will declare they're sitting out or hit the portal this week. That way Brohm can concentrate on evaluating the guys who will be back next year.

You do know that Uk's AD Bitch Mitch is also on that CFP. I think he and Chairman Baby Boo from NCst are Buds.

Reactions: Sawyer and rh62531
I did not mean to imply there were only two bad passes, I meant there were two that really stood out, One was had no lift and was batted down at the line of scrimmage. On the replay you could see the receiver wide open with lots of open field around him. ( It could have been on a 4th down in the first half, my memory isn't what it used to be) On the other pass our receiver was wide open in the middle of the field and ball went sailing over his head, Even the announcer commented that Plumer wanted that pass back. Both of them had big play potential.

Reactions: nccardfan
I did not mean to imply there were only two bad passes, I meant there were two that really stood out, One was had no lift and was batted down at the line of scrimmage. On the replay you could see the receiver wide open with lots of open field around him. ( It could have been on a 4th down in the first half, my memory isn't what it used to be) On the other pass our receiver was wide open in the middle of the field and ball went sailing over his head, Even the announcer commented that Plumer wanted that pass back. Both of them had big play potential.
I actually think he had 2 batted down back in one series but yeah I got ya!

Ghost,

All really good points - appreciate you bringing them to the thread. I hadn’t considered the Stanford / west coast angle and while I am still convinced that GA, AL& FL will always be more important recruiting areas for UofL - with the last round of expansion - CFB has gotten closer to being national than it ever has.

The only thing that I could take issue with, is the perception that the acc did anything to assist us - though I’m guessing you were being somewhat facetious about that point. And you’re right, at this point we don’t want any part of Georgia but, I would have liked / thought we deserved the spot they handed to nc state.

In the end, we definitely need a win and if comes against USC - with or without Williams - let’s go get it.

Go Cards!

Does our AD, who won’t fire Payne, have anything to do with this? Did he advocate or cave? Josh is getting on my last nerve.
Good grief this has nothing to do with the AD’s. The bowls select who they want or through committee. In this case it’s probably where the second place ACC team always goes. IDK but it’s not up to the AD. They either accept or decline the invitations. Geez. The better question is why does the ACC have ties to a bowl on the other side of the country.

Well I read an article today that said the ACC Conference officials scrambled to get different teams placed in different Bowls from the ones they should have gone to.

Well I read an article today that said the ACC Conference officials scrambled to get different teams placed in different Bowls from the ones they should have gone to.
Yes, there was a lot, for lack of a better phrase, conference in-fighting yesterday. That’s what prompted my Heird comment. Also, he sucks for not firing Payne.

Good grief this has nothing to do with the AD’s. The bowls select who they want or through committee. In this case it’s probably where the second place ACC team always goes. IDK but it’s not up to the AD. They either accept or decline the invitations. Geez. The better question is why does the ACC have ties to a bowl on the other side of the country.
Got to give Stanford something to aim for.

• Haha
Reactions: TPACardsFan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT