ADVERTISEMENT

Hey baseballguy

Cardiac Red

15000+
Gold Member
Mar 5, 2012
Opening day not too far off, I think I saw where we were on the field taking bp recently, how are things shaping up for the team ? Any health issues ? What are your predictions for starting positions ? Or is that still a little premature.

Any info will be appreciated. Thanks in advance

The team has been back on campus and working hard since Jan. 6th. The first team practice is a week from Friday.

Guys have been working hard. There are a lot of positions up for grabs and guys are working that way. Everyone is healthy or are working to get that way. Josh Rogers and Kidston should both be able to pitch this season.

As far as a lineup that's a tough call. I think the lineup will depend on who is swinging it well as the final weeks before the season finish up. But with that being said...

SS - Whiting
LF - Gardner
2B - Lucas
1b - Rosenbaum
DH - Kay
CF - Sturgeon
3b - Chittenden
C - Crain
RF - Lyman

Mike White is in the mix for starting outfield position and has a great shot at being in the opening day lineup and in the OF. Which position CF or RF, I'm not sure. A lot of the infielders are interchangeable. Lucas could play every infield position. Again, I think it will come down to who is swinging the bat well in the scrimmages.

Freshman have been doing well and many will play this season. Lyman, Ray, Solak, Smith, Sparger, Lauria, Harrington, Richardson are all guys that will contribute.

If the defense and pitching are there we will have a solid season. We lose a bit on offense but the lineup has talent and the pieces to be good. Pitching and D can take you a long way with the dead bats and ball.

The pitching rotation will be fun to see what happens. The only one with a lock down spot is Funkhouser. Ruxer had a strong fall as well as McGrath, and Filomeno.

Thanks for the updates, looking forward to the season, we're going to try to go to SC for opening weekend, I'm trying to sell it to the wife as a good Valentines trip..lol !

I agree with your comment about the pitching and defense being able to carry a team with the dead bats, are there any possible changes with the bats ? I would rather they just go ahead and use wood, I know there's a cost issue but damn, the advantage is definitely with the pichers, IMO.

Any dates set for public scrimmages yet ?

the committee recently announced that they are changing the baseballs starting next season. They are going to the lower seemed ball which will give the ball more flight and should bring back some HR's. Not sure the exact amount of feet it will add but it will allow the ball to carry better.

Scrimmages are set to start next weekend (weather permitting)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT