ADVERTISEMENT

Hats off to the defense

CardHack

Four-Star Poster
May 29, 2001
I'm not surprised we won; in fact I told friends we were out with on Friday that if I had spare change I would bet the Moneyline (my friend bet ND to cover). What surprised me was the how...I thought we were going to have to turn ND over because I wasn't particularily confident we were going to contain their running game and thought to move the ball it was going to be in chunks where they were chasing our receivers. Thrash had an effective night converting critical first downs and the touchdown, but I don't know that any receivers had multiple catches.

...none of that happened, except turning them over. We learned something that can carry forward--and yes as it applies to UK--yes, Notre Dame was perceived as nasty along their offense blocking for a big back in Estime. But the reason Louisville was the most physical team on the field was speed; we arrived at the point of attack in lightning fashion, it gave the look of a defense playing with ten in the box. But really they've been that way all year outside of the second quarter against Ga Tech. Nothing really tricky but English and staff have established that they will bring five and invariably it will have stunts involved. Outside of Reiger running over Alt most of the pressure came from stunts up the A and B gaps and it was like a feeding frenzy up the middle; the staff picked up on Notre Dame's soft underbelly being their interior offensive line. They were hemorrhaging there all night and forced to rotate alot of linemen in a fruitless effort to stem the damage. Defensively more and more personnel contributing. Safety has stabilized. The corners are stalwarts and for all of the talk about ND's receiving corps being poor that is one area every Cardinal fan could tell you we were confident. Reiger being back is big. We had Lole and Tawfiq Thomas back. Frierson made a big contribution. Alderman and Quinn are playing lights out.

Preseason and pre-MJ Griffin injury I thought we had a fantastic secondary; I am frankly stunned at the Linebacking corps. I don't recall a Louisville squad with this many DTs. We overwhelmed Notre Dame beating them to the point of attack.

Helmet stickers to Coach English.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News