ADVERTISEMENT

Eric Musselman

8 years as college coach - 2 Sweet 16s, 2 Elite 8s, one season canceled due to Covid. Got a bunch of portal guys past two years. This year he constructed really bad via the portal.

8 years as college coach - 2 Sweet 16s, 2 Elite 8s, one season canceled due to Covid. Got a bunch of portal guys past two years. This year he constructed really bad via the portal.
The last part sounds like criticism I hear of the guy we have. Management here knew we weren’t getting the first part now.

Yet these same management guys are good with where we are if there was maybe a few more wins. So you tell me where the problem is.

The next coach will just be next bust. Musselman fills that role for me…

The last part sounds like criticism I hear of the guy we have. Management here knew we weren’t getting the first part now.

Yet these same management guys are good with where we are if there was maybe a few more wins. So you tell me where the problem is.

The next coach will just be next bust. Musselman fills that role for me…
I’m not sure is Muss is the right person or not. I do know that he had success at Nevada and has made Arkansas relevant again. The criticisms of Payne are clearly deeper than portal roster construction. Even Rick has had a roster construction struggle this season. Outside of Bill Self, Kelvin Sampson and Scott Drew I don’t know of any coach that is surefire.

That’s the issue.

If we swap Payne for another pig in a poke, the cost needs to be manageable. Can’t afford the sure fire hire anymore, and I have no idea who that person is anyway nor does U of L.

The only certainty is that money is a problem…

That’s the issue.

If we swap Payne for another pig in a poke, the cost needs to be manageable. Can’t afford the sure fire hire anymore, and I have no idea who that person is anyway nor does U of L.

The only certainty is that money is a problem…
We can afford Scott Drew or Sampson but they are in situations where they don’t have to leave in order to reach the ultimate success. Money isn’t everything. We were very fortunate with the timing of Pitino’s hire. Keep in mind choice number two was Larry Eustachy. What I do know is that Payne will be fired and that the NIL mechanism that has benefitted Brohm will also be engaged to benefit the next head basketball coach.

We can afford Scott Drew or Sampson but they are in situations where they don’t have to leave in order to reach the ultimate success. Money isn’t everything. We were very fortunate with the timing of Pitino’s hire. Keep in mind choice number two was Larry Eustachy. What I do know is that Payne will be fired and that the NIL mechanism that has benefitted Brohm will also be engaged to benefit the next head basketball coach.
It’s amazed me that there’s been no urgency from Payne on the NIL or recruiting front. It really seems like he never fully wanted to be the head coach here.

Nothing is known. People are deceiving themselves thinking otherwise. And I know of no one who is just waiting for Payne’s replacement to return with money and support. We’ve have been burned too many times.

Brohm’s hire was no real accomplishment. We’re now smart enough to recognize that. Payne’s situation is more representative of what this administration has delivered in the way of results. Go cheap, aim low, lose even more money.

That’s not saying they’ll never pull off another unexpected hire. Just expect less and you won’t be disappointed…

Last edited:
Nothing is known. People are deceiving themselves thinking otherwise. And I know of no one who is just waiting for Payne’s replacement to return with money and support. We’ve have been burned too many times.

Brohm’s hire was no real accomplishment. We’re now smart enough to recognize that. Payne’s situation is more representative of what this administration has delivered in the way of results. Go cheap, aim low, lose even more money.

That’s not saying they’ll never pull off another unexpected hire. Just expect less and you won’t be disappointed…
The accomplishment in the Brohm hire is that it ignited NIL possibilities. The next bball hire can do the same if that person embraces it.

However you can go on shitting on everything if that is how you want to roll.

Btw…saw your buddy TJ in Tampa this weekend at the baseball. He seems to have moved on.

Last edited:
The accomplishment in the Brohm hire is that it ignited NIL possibilities. The next bball hire can do the same if that person embraces it.

However you can go on shitting on everything if that is how you want to roll.

Btw…saw your buddy TJ in Tampa this weekend at the baseball. He seems to have moved on.
Gets so old.......

It is the challenge of coaching right now. With new players every year the reality is coaches are going to screw up their rosters at some point. Pitinio is having the same trouble and we know he can coach.

It will be interesting how this board deals with the new hire.

Reactions: the artist FKA zipp
At this pount, anyone who can work on all fronts, including recruiting and show up for the fans will be a positive.

There really are no "sure thing" coaching hires out there especially with the new landscape of the portal and NIL. Some coaches are better than others of course, and everyone is better than Payne.

But coaches have to manage NIL, portal, and players year by year. It's always volatile and changing with multiple moving parts and it's easier than ever to have down years if you can't juggle everything. Even Pitino, who is obviously a great coach and has good NIL backers, is struggling this season. You really have to look at a coach's entire body of work though.

The accomplishment in the Brohm hire is that it ignited NIL possibilities. The next bball hire can do the same if that person embraces it…
We’ll never again witness the circumstances that landed Brohm. It’s a pipe dream.
…However you can go on shitting on everything if that is how you want to roll…
No I crap on one thing…

It starts with “adminee” and ends with “stray-shun.”

But like a broken record.

Just like the Payne haters…

There really are no "sure thing" coaching hires out there especially with the new landscape of the portal and NIL…
Tell that to the fans who wanna bring Brohm’s name into their argument.

That guy was as close to can’t-miss as this management group will ever see.

Everyone else being discussed is a multimillion dollar dice roll for a bankrupt operation…

Last edited:
There really are no "sure thing" coaching hires out there especially with the new landscape of the portal and NIL. Some coaches are better than others of course, and everyone is better than Payne.

But coaches have to manage NIL, portal, and players year by year. It's always volatile and changing with multiple moving parts and it's easier than ever to have down years if you can't juggle everything. Even Pitino, who is obviously a great coach and has good NIL backers, is struggling this season. You really have to look at a coach's entire body of work though.
Agreed, there are no perfect coaches. But I’m on board with Musselman because he’s an aggressive recruiter, and he’ll bring talent in. That I know for sure. (We said the same with Payne too, but I am confident saying that with Musselman). Obviously if he ends up he’ll have to manage rosters here better than he did this past year at Arkansas, but I think he’ll have options of players coming back.

Agreed, there are no perfect coaches. But I’m on board with Musselman because he’s an aggressive recruiter, and he’ll bring talent in. That I know for sure. (We said the same with Payne too, but I am confident saying that with Musselman). Obviously if he ends up he’ll have to manage rosters here better than he did this past year at Arkansas, but I think he’ll have options of players coming back.
And another thing that I’ve heard about Musselman somewhere, is that he changes his style year by year depending on the roster he has. That’s an exciting thing to hear IMO.

If we get Musselman and turn the program around, we may look back on this period in 3-4 years, as St. John's continues to go to NIT after NIT and eventually has to make Richard Pitino their new head coach, that we actually dodged a bullet.

Imagine if Pitino had stayed, and had to deal with NIL/Portal with us and failed. We wouldn't be able to fire him for incompetence. We'd be stuck with Pitino until he decided to install his son as our head coach. And we'd have to have Richard as our coach at least another 5-10 years.

Maybe Richard would do okay, a few NIT's here, a few 1st/2nd rounds there, but I don't see him winning championships. Maybe Muss will.

We may end up thinking it was worth it to get rid of Pitino how we did as painful as it was.

Wel I can say with certainty that Musselman can recruit.

attachment.php

Zipp begging to be ignored. Not how it works my guy. You dont control the room.If you can't handle the responses you can put them on ignore instead.

These dudes are having a blast they aren't bothered by you Zipp. They are enjoying it.

Ghost has more stamina. He's destroying you. He's reduced you to begging. Find your second wind Zipp. Quit begging for them to leave you alone. Or put them on ignore. Or keep begging. I don't think they are playing by your rules.

Good luck.

Zipp begging to be ignored. Not how it works my guy. You dont control the room.If you can't handle the responses you can put them on ignore instead.

These dudes are having a blast they aren't bothered by you Zipp. They are enjoying it.

Ghost has more stamina. He's destroying you. He's reduced you to begging. Find your second wind Zipp. Quit begging for them to leave you alone. Or put them on ignore. Or keep begging. I don't think they are playing by your rules.

Good luck.
Or, better yet…just go away. You’re a tired troll who just repeats the same tripe post after post. We’ve heard you, we’ve seen you and we’re done with you.

Or, better yet…just go away. You’re a tired troll who just repeats the same tripe post after post. We’ve heard you, we’ve seen you and we’re done with you.
That's an option for a normal one but this is not your standard troll.

This one is truly defective, broken beyond repair. Worse than the standard UK fan that creates name after name from burner accounts.

He's humiliating himself plenty on his own but now the crowd is piling on.

The pushback has him crying for help. "Ignore me. Leave me alone." Bwhahahahahaha

He's tagging Ghost in threads Ghost is not posting in, confirming Ghost is living rent free in his head. Yep, Ghost owns him.

Maybe a mod comes to the rescue but I think it's just too late the virus has spread it's in every thread for years and shows no signs of stopping.

Last edited:
It’s amazed me that there’s been no urgency from Payne on the NIL or recruiting front. It really seems like he never fully wanted to be the head coach here.
He said so much after he was hired. He said after the announcement he headed home to NY and nearly called and backed out, but was convinced to stay by Eaves and his cronies.
If KP wanted to be a HC he would have been years ago. Everything about his time here stinks of not motivated to be here. It took him forever to complete his staff hires. Conditioning coach wasn’t hired until May or June. Does that sound like a motivated individual?

He said so much after he was hired. He said after the announcement he headed home to NY and nearly called and backed out, but was convinced to stay by Eaves and his cronies.
If KP wanted to be a HC he would have been years ago. Everything about his time here stinks of not motivated to be here. It took him forever to complete his staff hires. Conditioning coach wasn’t hired until May or June. Does that sound like a motivated individual?
Not at all.

Good luck.
You got that backwards, friend. I don’t generally b!tch and whine about posters here like the incessant outcries about ‘zipp’. I suspect the moderators get their earful too, but they never hear from me.

I personally love it that ‘zipp’ just can’t be ignored by stalkers and regular posters. Amusing as hell and just a little psycho. The famous car accident your brain won’t let you NOT look at. And the funnier reasons poor victims claim for NOT having me on ignore.

Keep it coming because I always enjoy comedy, intended or not…

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT