ADVERTISEMENT

EKU

earsky

Four-Star Poster
Jan 12, 2010
They're here to take a trophy home.
I say not on Our Field!
Let's go Cards!

All of our pitchers, in a game like this, should be hyper-focused on the strike zone. Dare EKU to hit the ball.

Reactions: earsky
We've absolutely come to play tonight y'all. Love the approach by the Cards.

7-1

Not wanting to look ahead but next year will be interesting with Masterman, Metz, Bianco and Rushing departing. I do think think Rushing will be drafted high. We have Wescott, Benson, Knap, smith, Anderson and Beard back not to mention any freshman recruits.

I think he will be in the infield, either second or 3rd.
I've seen Anderson play some 1st base in the scrimmages. Beard could end up at 3rd,the middle anchored by Knap and Smith,while Wescott and Anderson slug it out at 1st base. Of course,Beard could end up in the outfield too.

I've seen Anderson play some 1st base in the scrimmages. Beard could end up at 3rd,the middle anchored by Knap and Smith,while Wescott and Anderson slug it out at 1st base. Of course,Beard could end up in the outfield too.
We have Hawkins, King and Humphrey and I forgot Benson is listed as an OF. I can’t see moving Beard to OF as he is not a speedster as evidenced by his lack of stolen bases.

We have Hawkins, King and Humphrey and I forgot Benson is listed as an OF. I can’t see moving Beard to OF as he is not a speedster as evidenced by his lack of stolen bases.
Yeah I was just thinking out loud. I don't think lack of speed would be a factor as we see with Masterman in left.

I’m interested to see if the transfer portal becomes as prevalent in baseball as it has been in other sports. Easy way to fill holes with experienced players. Have to imagine big time players at smaller schools look to move up the ladder a bit.

Metzinger had a helluva game last night. Didn't want it to go unnoticed. Two top 10 type plays in the first couple innings that really extinguished any early momentum by Eastern and a 3 for 4 night at the plate.
It's that time of the year and he seems to get going at this time.
Hope to see it continue this weekend and see a couple other guys really get themselves going. Rushing really is dialed in too.

Metzinger had a helluva game last night. Didn't want it to go unnoticed. Two top 10 type plays in the first couple innings that really extinguished any early momentum by Eastern and a 3 for 4 night at the plate.
It's that time of the year and he seems to get going at this time.
Hope to see it continue this weekend and see a couple other guys really get themselves going. Rushing really is dialed in too.
Bianco needs to get some hits this weekend!

Bianco needs to get some hits this weekend!
I've talked quite a bit about the veterans on this team leading this team into this post season. I was having a little bit of of a pep talk with Masterman and him before the game last night,primarily because I didn't want to see EKU come in here and screw up a lot of hard work and success this team has shown since last year but also because if those two guys get hot,it puts the offense in another category.

Ok, I’ll bite. What does power have to do with playing OF?
That’s why Masterman played the OF because you needed his bat. You can’t DH him because of the situation with Rushing/Payton/Bianco. He also turned out to be an adequate OF. Otherwise you may have seen Hawkins in there.

I guess my other point is you don’t just stick a guy who played 2nd base (typically a guy with not the strongest arm) in the OF (which usually requires a strong arm) unless he brings something else to the table. In the case of Masterman, it’s his HR potential and you overlook maybe that he’s not the fastest guy.

Last edited:
It read like Beard wasn’t suited for the OF due to not being a power hitter. I agree, initially I thought Cam was in LF primarily due to his bat. Yet, I think we have seen he has adequate speed and has been pretty darn good defensively. I wouldn’t be surprised to see some shifting next year in the infield. It certainly appears the options of Knap, Beard, Smith, Anderson provide a wild array of opportunities.

Reactions: shutterbug
It certainly appears the options of Knap, Beard, Smith, Anderson provide a wild array of opportunities.
Kind of what I was getting at. If we're talking about having the strongest middle,maybe there has to be a different spot for Beard. Maybe he's just full time designated hitter,Idk.
I don't think Smith will be riding the pine next year. If so,he probably won't be here.

Reactions: shutterbug
Kind of what I was getting at. If we're talking about having the strongest middle,maybe there has to be a different spot for Beard. Maybe he's just full time designated hitter,Idk.
I don't think Smith will be riding the pine next year. If so,he probably won't be here.
Agreed. I would love to see Westcott at first; but, I could see Anderson there is Westcott isn’t hitting as well. I wouldn’t mind seeing Beard at 3B, Knap at 2B and Smith at SS.

Reactions: earsky
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT