ADVERTISEMENT

Do you consider horse racing a sport?

DerVille

500+
Aug 5, 2010
I like the Derby, it brings in lots of money to the city, the city gets national recognition for it, there are a lot of fun events to go to, there's usually someone having a derby party and those are fun.......but when I flip on some sports radio in the weeks around derby I want some REAL sports. Yeah, I get it, 20 animals are going to run for 2 minutes in a few days but how does UofL's football and basketball team look for next year? What's going on with the NBA playoffs, any golf tournaments this week?

For me this is the worst sports time of the year and to be honest it is mainly because the derby, which is a big party is actually covered by the sports side of the media when to me, personally this isn't a sport and the regular news times should be covering it. I never listen to any derby talk on sports radio which basically means I just leave the radio off because it is wall to wall horse talk on every show for 3-6 weeks (they'll still be talking about it when the Belmont and Preakness are going on in other cities), and to be honest I don't even understand what there is to discuss for a month. 20 horses (animals.....not humans.....animals) will run 2 minutes around a dirt track. How can this be discussed so long.

Anyway, to me since the fun of the derby is the party, and animals running doesn't seem like it has anything to do with sports, I've always wished this was covered elsewhere, on the first 20 minutes of the news.....the news part of the news and that the sports portion was sports without derby talk and that any derby talk on the radio would happen during......let's say the WHAS talk time......Mandy Connell, Terry Meiners and Tony Cruz shows. (I know Mandy is gone, I don't know who does that show now). When I turn on Jody Demling or Drew Deener I want NFL draft, UofL football, basketball, baseball, NBA, golf etc. I wish horse talk was separate from REAL sports and didn't talke those shows over.

I'm sure many will passionately disagree with me (and since it is an internet board, many will ignore the topic and just start hurling personal insults, because the internet attracts those types) and say they absolutely consider it a real sport and they'll LOVE the horse talk. So, do you consider the derby itself, the 2-minute horse race an actual sport or do you just consider it a social EVENT?

Horse Racing is every bit as much a sport as NASCAR or any other vehicle operated event. The jockey and drivers have the same responsibilities of controlling their vehicle whether its a horse or a formula 1. Now whether or not you consider them a sport is up to you, but if you think one is, then the other is also.

That question is as appropriate as asking you if you are from Kentucky?

Every where in the world that I have ever been... (and that includes much of Europe, the Middle East and Hawaii).when asked where I am from......as soon as I said Louisville, Kentucky.....the response was "Oh yea, the Kentucky Derby!....what a beautiful spectacle of the sport of horse racing.....that is one event that I have always wanted to see in person".

The second most popular response was: Kentucky Fried Chicken or Kentucky Bourbon. But the Kentucky Derby was always the first thought mentioned.

It is known as the greatest of all horse racing sporting events world wide. I am sorry that you fail to understand that.

It is also a phenomenal social event that tradition has made one of the grand places to be the first Saturday of May every year. The pomp and pageantry are second to none. Before my time on earth is up.....I hope to attend at least once more to add to the special memories of Louisville and the Derby.

"And their off!".....still gives me chills!

Of course they're athletes. I'd love to see the OP's favorite athlete ride a horse 35mph. That would be hilarious to watch. Now take the practical approach...it's more practical to be good at riding horses than throwing an orange ball into a basket. ;)

I think the OP really just wants to talk about the sports he likes. Don't forget chess, badminton, ping pong and all the olympic sports

Chess.........badminton........Olympic sports? All humans.................not ANIMALS.

Big Red? I'd say a cheetah running down a gazelle is more impressive, I guess that is a sport too. Birds flying south for the winter, that's quite a athletic event too. Elephants pushing down a tree, that beats the strong man contest. A lion devouring an entire zebra...that's got to beat any eating contest.

Anyway, I never suggested people shouldn't like horse racing just that it should be covered via the news and social segments and in the community segments of the news.................not via the sports segments.

I was watching a segment about the jockeys one time and the jockeys were telling stories about there experiences. They all said as they traveled around the country and met men, women and children in the towns they went to no matter where they were they were all asked the same question " Have you ever won the Kentucky Derby ". The Kentucky Derby has been described as the most exciting 3 minutes in sports and every year if I am not at the Derby I am in front of my TV for hours watching it. To answer your question " Yes it is a sport ".

"I'd say a cheetah running down a gazelle is more impressive,"

Says a lot about your limited viewpoint, IMO. Big Red was 1200 lbs. dude. Ran 1.5 miles in some races. Freaking shattered the Belmont 40+ yrs ago. You're basically comparing a squirrel finding a nut to arguably the greatest racehorse that ever lived.

Ever feel dull like an old man's shovel?

Reactions: scrumm21
Chess.........badminton........Olympic sports? All humans.................not ANIMALS.

LOL. I think you're trying to be serious. So should the skis get the medal instead of the skier? Must be some deep thinkers on your little radio shows.

It's a sport man. If you don't like the coverage it gets I suggest you don't listen to any local news for the couple weeks leading up to it or espn for that matter. Don't understand how any Kentuckian doesn't get at least a little pumped for the derby.

I'm still disgusted with what happened to Derby winner Ferdinand. Ended up being slaughtered in Japan.

Ahh it's Derby time! For me, there's nothing like it!!

As a UL sports freak, the Kentucky Derby is still #1 on top of all my "sporting" interest. Yes, horse racing is a sport. And the Derby towers over all other races. Unlike other horse races, but like the Super Bowl, Olympics, and even the World Cup, it actually transcends sports, and represents so much more for so many. The 1st Saturday in May. just like the Masters, is THE true mark of Spring, and the revitalization that a new season is on us. It's an event that seems to bring everybody (except you and very few others maybe) together, and perhaps for different personal reasons. The Derby is a festival or party for some, and a great sport stoked in American spirit & tradition for many others.

Although I generally watch the Breeders Cup, I'm not a huge racing enthusiast year-round, but I do closely follow the Derby, it's big prep races that qualify its entrants, and the Triple Crown trail. It's simply a big part of my sport spectating season. Yep, after SPRING Fball and the Masters end, April-June becomes the Derby & Triple Crown for me. And I don't think I'm alone. My sport spectating season would have a huge void this time of year without it. I understand your pain. :cool:

I agree with the op I quit watching local news and turn off local radio the day after thunder and turn it back on the Monday after derby. I can handle the 2 minute race. It could be worse though they could be covering soccer.

UGH, today's Thursday, the Derby was 5 days ago and they again just started talking about it on 790. It's a two minute race but takes up 35-40 DAYS worth of local radio sports talk.

43 years later and I still get misty eyed Everytime I watch a replay of that Belmont !!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT